The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chosenone93
Its really ideal for those that are struggling to land a job due to lack of networking connections or those that want to break into a specific field without any experience.
Just from looking at some linkedin profiles there are many kicking off the career in top banks et.c. What i've noticed its those that ended up in a role they didnt like or couldn't cope with the intense training therefore struggled to get a placement that complain a lot.

The problem for me is That FDM literally lose nothing if the graduate fail or not, as u will not be paid unless u get placed with a client. This just make u feel that they don't care about investing in you and your development but just using u to make money
In a normal consultancy firm, the consultants get paid even if they have no projects or clients
(edited 8 years ago)
They are probably not a scam, but they are clearly not where you want to be, your locked into a 2 year contract, not paid a salary, and are liable to pay back all the training money should you cancel early, no thanks

I have like 5 emails in my inbox from an FDM group recruiter, first telling me they had come across my CV online, then trying to schedule a face to face interview, then trying to schedule a phone interview, then another saying we still havent heard back, if we haven't heard back by X date we will no longer try anymore, and then a final one saying okay we're giving up basically

All of this ^^ was because i replied to the 1st email simply asking where they had come across my CV since i had never applied to them

Im pretty sure that no half decent graduate programme acts like this, its the same with the DeVer group, just stay well clear
Original post by Du1388
The problem for me is That FDM literally lose nothing if the graduate fail or not, as u will not be paid unless u get placed with a client. This just make u feel that they don't care about investing in you and your development but just using u to make money
In a normal consultancy firm, the consultants get paid even if they have no projects or clients

To be fair a lot of graduate schemes are like that, they expect a two year commitment and want you to pay back the so called training fees so its not strictly an fdm thing. My thing is there is just no guarantee of getting placed and you may have to wait up to 90 days after training to get placed at which point they supposedly just give up and say you can leave without any charges.
So essentially worse case scenario is you waste about 6 months of your valuable time going in to their office to train and come away with just the qualifications but no job.
Reply 23
yeah but normally you get paid while you train, something FDM wont do. Also the fact that you have to pay 20k if you want to quit (most likely you have no job), just bad practice.

No wonder they do so well as a company as they literally employing a no risk no cost strategy
Don't disagree,fdm and others who operate like it are seen as a last resort thing for a reason; just saying companies are prone to take the p*ss with fresh graduates and you just have to take it in order to get your foot on the ladder. The capita novus graduate scheme also expect you to train for several weeks without pay.
Don't disagree,fdm and others who operate like it are seen as a last resort thing for a reason; just saying companies are prone to take the p*ss with fresh graduates and you just have to take it in order to get your foot on the ladder. The capita novus graduate scheme also expect you to train for several weeks without pay.

yehh i get what you mean, but at the same time, **** that ****, there are too many half decent companies that you can get your foot into the door at, that wont try and bankrupt you if you quit within 2 years lol

ultimately, i would only tell someone to do it if they were young, had absolutely no responsibilities, had parents that could afford to support them and probably had terrible grades and couldn't get a job somewhere else lol, other wise its just not worth it

and the capita novus scheme, you said expect you to train for a few weeks? a couple of months, maybe even 6-12 MAYBE MAYBE id consider, but 2 whole years? never lol
Yeah same sort of thing with capita but not sure if its a higher chance of getting placed or if you have to pay if you leave within 2 years.
I'm guessing most people who sign up to those things are on their last resorts its hard to get on to the top graduate schemes, the recruitment process is no walk in the park.
I commuted a fair distance for an internship and had to take a maths assessment that even people with mathematical degrees struggled to pass lol they assess you on sh!t that has nothing to do with the job your applying for. It's really given me a defeatist attitude where i'll just accept anything i'm offered.
Yeah same sort of thing with capita but not sure if its a higher chance of getting placed or if you have to pay if you leave within 2 years.
I'm guessing most people who sign up to those things are on their last resorts its hard to get on to the top graduate schemes, the recruitment process is no walk in the park.
I commuted a fair distance for an internship and had to take a maths assessment that even people with mathematical degrees struggled to pass lol they assess you on sh!t that has nothing to do with the job your applying for. It's really given me a defeatist attitude where i'll just accept anything i'm offered.

Too many graduates are killing themselves trying to get onto the top grad schemes though, apparently only something like 14% of the UK's students are accepted onto the top grad schemes, for your average person there is basically no chance lol

Do you apply for other types of jobs? have you dropped your salary expectations? I find alot of people give up much too easily, i know graduates who have stopped looking because they cant get themselves onto a starting salary of 24k a year, and who dont even bother applying for 18-20k entry level jobs, but then sit at home saying they are tired of being unemployed and there is nothing out there for them lol
Original post by KungPooPanda
They are probably not a scam, but they are clearly not where you want to be, your locked into a 2 year contract, not paid a salary, and are liable to pay back all the training money should you cancel early, no thanks

I have like 5 emails in my inbox from an FDM group recruiter, first telling me they had come across my CV online, then trying to schedule a face to face interview, then trying to schedule a phone interview, then another saying we still havent heard back, if we haven't heard back by X date we will no longer try anymore, and then a final one saying okay we're giving up basically

All of this ^^ was because i replied to the 1st email simply asking where they had come across my CV since i had never applied to them

Im pretty sure that no half decent graduate programme acts like this, its the same with the DeVer group, just stay well clear

Hi guys,

I have also been receiving contact from FDM and I could do with some advice. I'm not very savvy with all of this.

FDM contacted me after getting hold of my CV, and I have a telephone (or video?) interview with them on Monday. If I pass that, then I go to the assessment centre.

I was told that I would receive 16 weeks unpaid training in Leeds, London or Glasgow, though they would offer £100 a week bursary. I would then be on a two year contract on a starting salary of £21,000. Is this correct or have I been miss-lead? The booklet states that after two years I can either stay on as a senior FDM consultant, or join one of the companies I have been placed in.

On the face of it, it sounds very impressive. I would love to work for RBS, british airways... etc. but this thread and others have cast doubt into my mind as to whether it is legitimate. They did contact me out of the blue and offered me all of this, but I asumed it was because I had a good degree (with knowledge of SQL, VBA etc) :colondollar:

Right now, I'm concerned about the salary issue. I'm aware the initial 16 week training is unpaid, but what about the two year period afterwards?

I've looked on linkedin for FDM and the profiles all seem legit.... :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by seekinghelp
Hi guys,

I have also been receiving contact from FDM and I could do with some advice. I'm not very savvy with all of this.

FDM contacted me after getting hold of my CV, and I have a telephone (or video?) interview with them on Monday. If I pass that, then I go to the assessment centre.

I was told that I would receive 16 weeks unpaid training in Leeds, London or Glasgow, though they would offer £100 a week bursary. I would then be on a two year contract on a starting salary of £21,000. Is this correct or have I been miss-lead? The booklet states that after two years I can either stay on as a senior FDM consultant, or join one of the companies I have been placed in.

On the face of it, it sounds very impressive. I would love to work for RBS, british airways... etc. but this thread and others have cast doubt into my mind as to whether it is legitimate. They did contact me out of the blue and offered me all of this, but I asumed it was because I had a good degree (with knowledge of SQL, VBA etc) :colondollar:

Right now, I'm concerned about the salary issue. I'm aware the initial 16 week training is unpaid, but what about the two year period afterwards?

I've looked on linkedin for FDM and the profiles all seem legit.... :s-smilie:

Bruh, just think about how good the offer of the scheme sounds...

And then think about how many people should be bending over backwards to get onto it...

The company is legit, its not a 'scam' at all or anything like that, and there are probably hundreds of people that have suffered it and done very well, but its just not worth it

And i can almost promise you that you will not be making 21k after 4 months of training
Reply 30
I had an invitation to an AC and I'd like to go just to take a look at things myself and meet some new people, but just the fact that they were not reimbursing for the travel expenses put me off.
So what's the deal with pay? I know the 10-16 week foundation training is unpaid, but what is the salary on the 2 year programme?

Tbh, I probably won't bother going to the assessment centre but the video interview could be useful practice. It's suppost to be tomorrow but I've had no email confirmation or anything...
So what's the deal with pay? I know the 10-16 week foundation training is unpaid, but what is the salary on the 2 year programme?

Tbh, I probably won't bother going to the assessment centre but the video interview could be useful practice. It's suppost to be tomorrow but I've had no email confirmation or anything...

21k in first year 25k in the second, they expect you to wear a suit for the video interview lol
lol I'm glad I failed my application to them in August, 5 months later and I'm in a £28k job. Which I hope lasts.
Original post by shawn_o1
lol I'm glad I failed my application to them in August, 5 months later and I'm in a £28k job. Which I hope lasts.

What's your job?

I passed the telephone interview, but not going to the assessment centre after what I've read.
What's your job?

I passed the telephone interview, but not going to the assessment centre after what I've read.

Typical graduate software development role offered by an obscure company :smile:
Typical graduate software development role offered by an obscure company :smile:

Did you study computing at degree level? I did physics, so not great for software roles either.
Reply 37
I've seen a few posts about pay, so some further info on this. The basic salary actually works out around £18,000 in the UK with an on-site bonus to bump this up. If you don't get a placement, you are stuck at the FDM office on basic. If you are onsite for every working day in a year minus your holiday days, then yes you'll reach just above £21,000. With an onsite bonus increase having been with FDM into a second year, you could achieve £25,000. However, there is no sick pay other than SSP for 2 years, and any day not based with client is not eligible for bonus.

On the placement side, the account managers are basically salesmen interested in their own targets, most without any IT experience themselves. Anyone on the training programme should be wary of the sales quarters when they desperately try to bump their numbers, but seem to drop these placements when numbers are in.
Reply 38
Anyone have information on what working for FDM is like at the Hong Kong location?

lol I failed my application with them as well. Did well in the tests etc, interview apparently didn't go as well. Did you join another graduate scheme by the way ?

Latest

Trending

Trending