The Student Room Group

What A Levels to pick for a degree in Law or Business?

Hi, I am currently in year 11 and choosing what subjects to continue on for post-16.

My GCSE predictions are:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A*
Maths - B
French - A*
Science - A, A
Business studies - A
ICT - A
Art - A
Drama - A
Religious Studies - A

At the moment, I am thinking English Lit and Lang, French, Critical thinking (instead of general studies), Business Studies, then I am thinking Economics also.

However, I have read Economics and Business Studies is not a good choice.
My other subjects I have considered are:
Psychology, RS or Art

I know Business, RS and Art are to be considered as soft subjects.

I want to keep my options open for a career in either Law or Business and go on to do a degree at a top university in London.

What are my best A level options?

Thank you :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you should definitely do English Lit, and History or RS would be good to show your writing skills. Economics or Business are fine choices, as long as mixed with all other strong subjects. A science would be a good choice as well, and French or Maths are great ones. You just need good grades in strong subjects that show your skills in writing and stuff, and you will be fine.
Reply 2
You might want to check with the Universities you are considering applying to whether they value Critical Thinking; I suspect they might not...

English Lit is almost essential, French would be good, Economics would also be good, but I think Business Studies is a bit weak - perhaps History or Geography instead?
Reply 3
Original post by Pixelated
You might want to check with the Universities you are considering applying to whether they value Critical Thinking; I suspect they might not...

English Lit is almost essential, French would be good, Economics would also be good, but I think Business Studies is a bit weak - perhaps History or Geography instead?

Critical Thinking is just an extra instead of General Studies!
would English combined, French, Economics and say RS? I didn't do GCSE geography or history.
Reply 4
Original post by elizanissim
Hi, I am currently in year 11 and choosing what subjects to continue on for post-16.

My GCSE predictions are:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A*
Maths - B
French - A*
Science - A, A
Business studies - A
ICT - A
Art - A
Drama - A
Religious Studies - A

At the moment, I am thinking English Lit and Lang, French, Critical thinking (instead of general studies), Business Studies, then I am thinking Economics also.

Psychology, RS or Art

I want to keep my options open for a career in either Law or Business and go on to do a degree at a top university in London.

I would advise that you consider taking maths as its highly respected. French is also a good idea as universities like languages as they are deemed traditional. As for the remaining options, I would recommend History as well as Economics (which would probably be complementary if you do decide on a business studies degree, but is also essay based so would be perfectly fine if you decide on law.)

These webpages are good:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 5
Original post by tswuttke
I would advise that you consider taking maths as its highly respected. French is also a good idea as universities like languages as they are deemed traditional. As for the remaining options, I would recommend History as well as Economics (which would probably be complementary if you do decide on a business studies degree, but is also essay based so would be perfectly fine if you decide on law.)

These webpages are good:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Would you not suggest doing English combined, French, Economics and Business Studies then?

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 6
Critical Thinking is just an extra instead of General Studies!
would English combined, French, Economics and say RS? I didn't do GCSE geography or history.

Yeah, those choices would be fine. I think the combined English course is probably better for something like Law actually.
Reply 7
Would you not suggest doing English combined, French, Economics and Business Studies then?

I was about to suggest english, french and economics!
Reply 8
Original post by Horchata
I was about to suggest english, french and economics!

Would you say if I have got English combined, French and Economics, a fourth choice isn't a big deal?
Reply 9
Would you say if I have got English combined, French and Economics, a fourth choice isn't a big deal?

Some unis require a pass in a fourth subject or an AS in a fourth subject, you need to check the entry requirements of unis you're consdering. Where are you thinking of? I know all of the good London unis reasonably well.

Your fourth choice is not too important in terms of what you pick as those three are strong. I do believe RS is more respected than business studies, but it's whatever you're interested in! Economics and business studies are obviously different subjects but they will have some similarities, if only in skills required but possibly in some theory, so you may want to study something that contrasts which shows you have more skills. Plus it will be more interesting for you.
Reply 10
Hey,

I too would like a degree in the law, however am unsure as to whether I may change my mind. I am taking Physics or Psychology - I do want to study Psychology but I like Physics a lot - History, Philosophy and Ethics and Maths.

To be honest in Law there are no real requirement other than to show your intelligence, however subject that involve analysis such as History and English are great as they give you the skills you need.

For Business I don't know, I personally would take Economics over Business only because I see it as more well respected subject and also Maths is important for these too but don't be put off (from your list Maths seems to be one of your weaker subjects).

EDIT: I just noticed you go to Kings, I go to the Peterborough School and am actually thinking of applying to go there in sixth form!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Horchata
Some unis require a pass in a fourth subject or an AS in a fourth subject, you need to check the entry requirements of unis you're consdering. Where are you thinking of? I know all of the good London unis reasonably well.

Your fourth choice is not too important in terms of what you pick as those three are strong. I do believe RS is more respected than business studies, but it's whatever you're interested in! Economics and business studies are obviously different subjects but they will have some similarities, if only in skills required but possibly in some theory, so you may want to study something that contrasts which shows you have more skills. Plus it will be more interesting for you.

Hmm yeah! I am thinking of Kings college, UCL, Queen Mary or City.

Maybe Art then? It is something I could get an A in. Or Psychology for fourth?
Reply 12
Original post by 08rbut
Hey,

I too would like a degree in the law, however am unsure as to whether I may change my mind. I am taking Physics or Psychology - I do want to study Psychology but I like Physics a lot - History, Philosophy and Ethics and Maths.

To be honest in Law there are no real requirement other than to show your intelligence, however subject that involve analysis such as History and English are great as they give you the skills you need.

For Business I don't know, I personally would take Economics over Business only because I see it as more well respected subject and also Maths is important for these too but don't be put off (from your list Maths seems to be one of your weaker subjects).

EDIT: I just noticed you go to Kings, I go to the Peterborough School and am actually thinking of applying to go there in sixth form!

Yes I do go to kings! You should :smile: it is a great school!
Reply 13
Hmm yeah! I am thinking of Kings college, UCL, Queen Mary or City.

Maybe Art then? It is something I could get an A in. Or Psychology for fourth?

For UCL you need to take a fourth subject and pass at AS level. King's need an A in the fourth AS. Art is fine. Tbh you want to take something that won't be detrimental to your main 3 so you have time to concentrate on those.
Reply 14

english lit&lang is perfectly okay as well but I take history so I cant say how fun english is ultimately you should choose the one you enjoy - both history and english are traditional and respected. I wouldn't recommend business as it's seen as 'soft' (some people will disagree): LSE certainly DO NOT like it. I would also discourage you from doing both economics and business as some uni's prefer you not to take subjects that overlap.
Reply 15
Yes I do go to kings! You should :smile: it is a great school!

Doing application now
Reply 16

My GCSE predictions are:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A*
Maths - B
French - A*
Science - A, A
Business studies - A
ICT - A
Art - A
Drama - A
Religious Studies - A

Psychology, RS or Art

I'm studying Law with business studies as my degree which gives me a qualifying Law degree. At GCSE I came out with 5 Cs and went on to do Business Studies, ICT and Geography A levels, which I came out with 2 Cs and a D. This was enough to get me on to my Uni course. Basically what I'm saying from first hand experience is that it really doesn't matter what subjects you chose for GCSE / A level. My advice to you is to relax a bit and not worry too much. By the sound of your predicted grades nothing will be too challenging for you over the next few years, whatever path you choose.
Reply 17

My GCSE predictions are:
English Lit - A
English Lang - A*
Maths - B
French - A*
Science - A, A
Business studies - A
ICT - A
Art - A
Drama - A
Religious Studies - A

Psychology, RS or Art

I would suggest English combined, French, economics and rs, rs is actually quite well respected now and those a levels would give you a very good range to go on and study law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest