The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Questions about GCSEs

There are a lot of posts in the Dentistry forum regarding GCSE results. So here is a thread for all those questions.

Don't forget to have a look at the Dentistry Entry Requirements thread which may answer your questions.
Also use the university websites and UCAS to see if you meet the entry requirements :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys,
i'm currently in yr 12 doing my A levels and i'm working really hard to try and achieve my A grades needed to get into dentistry. I've also already done some work experience at a dental practice where I helped out with preparing the instruments and i'm going back again to see some implants being put in which I am really excited about!
I am pretty confident i'll get the right A level grades but I checked the entry requirements for quite a few dental schools and it looks like they put quite a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades as well.

I did okay in my GCSE's but not amazingly because I wasn't really trying my hardest at the time which I suppose puts me at a disadvantage, especially considering it's a competitive course to take.

These were my grades:
English Literature - A
Core Science - A
ICT - A
Additional ICT - A
BTEC Music - D*
BTEC Business - D*
Religious Studies - A
Resistant Materials - B
Additional Science - B
English Language - B
Maths/Applications- C
Maths/Methods - C
Spanish - G (I didn't turn up to the exams due to illness)

I am so enthusiastic about getting into dentistry and i'm getting lots of experience and advice from my dentist so will that make up for the grades?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 2
Hmmmm depends where you apply...at a lot of places you become a definite no e.g. King's, Birmingham etc....other places won't really favour you...but they may be some places that you still stand a chance on if you compensate for these grades with A-levels and work experience etc.
Reply 3
Okay thanks.. I was looking at Cardiff and that looks better because I know at most places you need an A in maths GCSE, but it doesn't mention that on their entry requirements.
But if I did decide to do a GCSE Maths resit for another uni, would they accept the new grade?

Anyway if I don't get into dentistry, maybe dental nursing could be a viable option?
Reply 4
Original post by jesusglue
Okay thanks.. I was looking at Cardiff and that looks better because I know at most places you need an A in maths GCSE, but it doesn't mention that on their entry requirements.
But if I did decide to do a GCSE Maths resit for another uni, would they accept the new grade?

Anyway if I don't get into dentistry, maybe dental nursing could be a viable option?

Resitting Maths is a good idea, and yes, the new grade will be accepted
Reply 5
Thank you so much ^^ I'll talk to my careers adviser about it
Reply 6
Im in year 11 at the moment and im hopping to get a's in my gcses apart from french which im hoping to get a b, do u think this is good enough for dentistry.Also, what a levels do u reccomend to take?
Reply 7
Original post by zzmm
Im in year 11 at the moment and im hopping to get a's in my gcses apart from french which im hoping to get a b, do u think this is good enough for dentistry.Also, what a levels do u reccomend to take?

Chemistry, Biology & whatever subject you are most confident in getting an A in. :smile:
Reply 8
You better hope to get A*s as well as A's.

And we honestly can't recommend A-level subjects other than Bio and chem if we don't know what you enjoy, what you are good at etc.
Reply 9
ok thanks for the advise- are u guys doing dentistry?
I'm in the process of applying now and as long as you get 5 A's or A* you'll be fine. Go onto the UCAS course search and find dentistry, all the academic requirements are on there. That's what helped me pick my A-levels :smile:
Reply 11
thanks alot for the help- Good luck!
You meet the requirements for denistry for Cardiff. Don't know about the others but your GCSEs are fine for dentristy they normally look for a lot of As at GCSE. You done well in Chemistry which is what they look for very closely. I suggest a strong UKCAT score as it will enhance your application however, if it's not achieved don't worry. I would also highly recommend you volunteer somewhere like a nursery to show you have care about your patients in your dental practise in the future. Another piece of advice is that play an instrument like piano/cello/double bass to show your hands are felixble (I know it sounds stupid but they do take this into account) or join an art class so show that you care about detail in your art piece which you can later put to practise in dental school.

Good luck you will be fine.
Original post by mastermdc

Do you guys think that 8 weeks work experience at private/NHS practice is fine?

It's about the knowledge you take away from the work experience, not about how long you do it for. Anyone could do months of work experience in a dentist and still not understand the concept and complexity of it as a career.

You've got great grades - well done on achieving them! :smile: I don't think that you should be disheartened about it because many courses require a grade C or above for English Language (which you have!) - if you feel like this grade has dampened your straight A profile, then do some work experience to make up for the minor flaws.

Hope I helped :smile:

PF
Reply 14
Don't worry about IGCSEs. I got a D in chemistry back in 2011 on my IGCSE and still got an offer. Well, I was predicted a 6 in chem and bio for IB so it was sufficient to get accepted. A high UKCAT score and a good personal statement can get you four offers. Choose the uni you want to apply to wisely. Do not apply to the ones, which require good GCSE results.

Good luck with the application!
Reply 15
Your Results from your January modules are great! Especially considering you do such intense subjects.
I only achieved 2 A's a B and an E, but had mitigating circumstances so I'll have to work really hard over the next couple weeks to pull them all up to A's.

Don't worry too much about the GCSE's considering you can't do anything to change them, just try to experience as much as you can, read about Dentistry/medical issues in the news, and get as much work experience as you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes, go for it !
Reply 17
I achieved 9 A's 2B's and a distinction.
So frustrating that one of the B's is in maths and I was only 1 mark from an A.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im worrying my results arent good enough and i want to apply to queens,kings, cardiff and bristol i got
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
English lit- A*
English lang- A
maths- A
French-B
History-A
RE- A*
Food tech-A*
ICT and Citizenship short course- A* (dont know if these even count)
I've been working much harder for a levels and fingers crossed i can get A at as for philosophy, A for chemistry, A* Biology, A* Psychology for A2 (hopefully if i keep up how im doing with the grades ive been getting so far)
Do i stand a chance with my gcse results? and any tips for improving my chances.
As tomorrow is GCSE Results day - I've 'stickied' this thread :biggrin:

Please post all your questions here.

Dentistry Entry Requirements can be found here

Also please check using the university websites and UCAS, to see if your GCSEs meet the minimum requirement for Dentistry :biggrin:

Hope everyone has got the grades they wanted!!

Quick Reply

Latest