The Student Room Group

Durham medical school applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bagpuss7142
Congrats Emma1995! :biggrin: Have you had your interview yet? I'm really panicking about mine, so it would be nice to have some insight.
P.S. What was your UKCAT score? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!!! you too :smile: No it's in 2 weeks so I'm panicking a lot :frown: Whens yours? My average score was 700, what about yours? :smile:
Reply 21
Interview! 2 weeks. Scared! :smile:
Reply 22
Has anyone that put Either campus on UCAS heard anything back about where they have been allocated? Or do you know when to expect to hear by?
Reply 23
I posted this in the Newcastle A100 Applicants thread as well but:

From Revent's (the amazing human-being) FOI request for Durham, I worked out from the graphs that were attached that for 2012 entry, ~186 people were rejected without interview, ~223 people were offered interviews of which ~190 people were given offers. :smile:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...utgoing-229524
Reply 24
Original post by k1rby
I posted this in the Newcastle A100 Applicants thread as well but:

From Revent's (the amazing human-being) FOI request for Durham, I worked out from the graphs that were attached that for 2012 entry, ~186 people were rejected without interview, ~223 people were offered interviews of which ~190 people were given offers. :smile:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...utgoing-229524

So only 403 people actually applied for/ were allocated Durham? Seems a little low for such a renowned university and considering they have ~100 places. Oh well hopefully we will be lucky enough to get interview then :smile:

And may the odds be forever in our favor :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by ChemClues
So only 403 people actually applied for/ were allocated Durham? Seems a little low for such a renowned university and considering they have ~100 places. Oh well hopefully we will be lucky enough to get interview then :smile:

And may the odds be forever in our favor :biggrin:

That's what I thought but I hope it's right! :colone:
Reply 26
Original post by k1rby
That's what I thought but I hope it's right! :colone:

Just looked at the graphs on FOI request, seems to be correct what was previously stated. Hope this will mean we get through to interview :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by ChemClues
Just looked at the graphs on FOI request, seems to be correct what was previously stated. Hope this will mean we get through to interview :s-smilie:

I'm lucky enough to already have an interview for the 22nd :tongue:
Have an interview for THIS friday. Naturally have gone into super duper panic mode. My UKCAT score has been posted above, but my average was 795 (in response to Emma1995's question). Does anyone else have an interview for the 16th?
Have an interview for THIS friday. Naturally have gone into super duper panic mode. My UKCAT score has been posted above, but my average was 795 (in response to Emma1995's question). Does anyone else have an interview for the 16th?

I already had my interview...they seemed very interested in personal qualities eg-what makes you different?
my intervew only lasted about 20 mins so not sure if thats a good or a bad thing? anyone had the same?

all the very best for your interview...which college did you pick btw?
Reply 30
Original post by sunshinesmile10
I already had my interview...they seemed very interested in personal qualities eg-what makes you different?
my intervew only lasted about 20 mins so not sure if thats a good or a bad thing? anyone had the same?

all the very best for your interview...which college did you pick btw?

ahhh thats amazing !!! Any tips you can offer from the interview? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 31

Good luck!!! That an amazing score well done :smile:
Original post by Emma1995
ahhh thats amazing !!! Any tips you can offer from the interview? :smile: :smile: :smile:

hello everyone, I just had my interview at durham today. I just want to give a few pointers to those preparing, because i've been playing it over in my head all day..
1. if they ask you about a dodgy situation, stress the importance of asking a senior with more experience etc..
2. make sure you read up on the university your applying too, i was a little lost on that front unfortunately
3. make sure you maintain eye contact, even though my interviewers were quite stern, i think they were trying to intimidate me on purpose to stress me :P
4. take a break, drink water, sigh, - buy yourself time before rushing into an answer, its easier than rushing and then having to amend something.
5. definately try and steer the conversation into something youre comfortable with. Eg if you love Malaria, then add - oh, during my work experience in X, i was especially interested in malaria...that will lead them onto asking about it and you might look good and knowledgeable

well, all these are IMHO, and please correct me if im wrong
all the very very very best to everyone
Reply 33
Just got the update that they allocated me to campus D- Durham. So excited, but hearing about people's interview offers makes me nervous! Any internationals in here get interviews yet?
(I'm in Canada)
Original post by ckwonie
Just got the update that they allocated me to campus D- Durham. So excited, but hearing about people's interview offers makes me nervous! Any internationals in here get interviews yet?
(I'm in Canada)

have you been to durham at all? i must say its rather different to Newcastle..
Reply 35
Original post by sunshinesmile10
have you been to durham at all? i must say its rather different to Newcastle..

What would you say the main differences are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
how do Durham let you know whether you have an interview, by letter, email or UCAS track?
also do you think I stand a chance of getting an interview with my UKCAT/ GCSE/ AS/ A2 predictions:
VR 650
QR 680
AR 820
DA 710
avg: 715

1.5A*, Distinction, 6A, 2B, C - could be better I know :frown:
AAAB (Maths,Chemistry,Physics,Biology)
A*AA(Maths,Chemistry,Biology)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by mcollin1
how do Durham let you know whether you have an interview, by letter, email or UCAS track?
also do you think I stand a chance of getting an interview with my UKCAT/ GCSE/ AS/ A2 predictions:
VR 650
QR 680
AR 820
DA 710

I got an email for my interview. It told me to ring them up if I was still interested, when I asked (it said further to previous correspondence) I was told they'd probably tried to ring me the previous day.

I have my interview tomorrow afternoon and am really worried, but a little excited - it seems so strange I've actually got to this point.

My average UKCAT was 735
Original post by mcollin1
VR 650
QR 680
AR 820
DA 710

I also received an email from the admissions team asking me to ring them (I think normally they phone but I didn't have a phone number on my UCAS form).

Durham have a UKCAT cut-off for interview once you've passed the academic requirements (which I'm fairly sure you have). So far they have offered interviews to people with averages of 700 and above, so with 715 you should get an interview.
Reply 39
It is so quiet here today, any good news you would like to share. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending