The Student Room Group

Future prospects; in need of honesty.

Hi all,

There's something that's been bothering me all week long and after failing to come to a conclusion, I've decided to hand it over to you for help.

I started doing my A-Levels this season (6/9/12) and am very focused and determined to get all As or three As and one B. The plan is to achieve and then apply to a top institution and enrol in Law, Philosophy, Anthropology or similar Social Sciences. Here are a few things about my intentions and achievements:

- GCSE grades: AAAAAABCC
- A-Levels taken: History, Philosophy, Economics, Geography (+ EPQ Level 3).
- AS predictions based on recent tests: AAAB/ AAAA (parents' evening aggregate)
- Desired universities:

- LSE (Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method)
- Cambridge (Philosophy)
- UCL (Philosophy)
- Warwick (Law)
- St. Andrew's (Law)

Based on JUST that (mind you, I have a ton of extra-curriculars in the bag), what would my chances be for each university?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Do you meet the required grades?

If so, with a strong PS and a good academic reference you will be in with a good chance but no-one here can give you a definite answer.
Reply 2
Your 5 listed universities are extremely high level. Realistically I would recommend at least one back up choice unless your AS results are stellar. For example your GCSEs are good... but not exceptional.

Obviously a lot actually does depend solely on your AS results.. If you get 4 As after all then your application would be strong and you have a good shot with a decent personal statement. (Every A* prediction for A2 is a huge bonus by the way, dont just aim for 80% but 90%).

Don't get complacent though because lots of people get shocks at AS. There's a big step up!

Quick Reply

Latest