The Student Room Group

Factorials

Hiya...i want to know if (3(n+1))! is similar to 3!(n+1)n!
i need help...
Reply 1
Original post by eslene
Hiya...i want to know if (3(n+1))! is similar to 3!(n+1)n!
i need help...

To test whether they are equivalent , then put n=4 (say) and use a calculator. IF the answers are the same, it might be coincidence , so repeat with another value for n.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by steve2005
Thanks
Reply 5
To use a slightly simpler example that illustrates the same point:
The reason is that, with 3(n!), you get 3*n*(n-1)*…*2*1 - but with (3n)!, you get (3n)*(3n-1)…*(n+2)*(n+1)*n*(n-1)*…*2*1. You can see that we've got all these extra terms (3n)…(n+1) in (3n)! which didn't appear in 3(n!) - and it's easy to check that (3n)(3n-1)…(n+2)(n+1) can never equal 3 as long as n is an integer greater than 0. (Non-essential outline of proof: by induction, the sequence whose nth term is (3n)(3n-1)…(n+2)(n+1) is increasing, and when n=1 we have (3n)…(n+1) = 3*2 = 6 > 3.)
Reply 6
Thank you
Reply 7
I was wondering how to find the payoff of a straddle option. I don't quite understand the terminology of the word, examples and its applications will be very useful...I hope someone will help me out on this one..
Thanks
To test whether they are equivalent , then put n=4 (say) and use a calculator. IF the answers are the same, it might be coincidence , so repeat with another value for n.

This forum is called "maths" not "physics".
Reply 9
Original post by JerzyDudek
This forum is called "maths" not "physics".

What's the point in producing a lengthy algebraic disproof when all you have to do is use a counter-example?
(3(n+1))! = (3n+3)! = (3n+3)(3n+2)(3n+1)...(1)
3!(n+1)n! = 6n!(n+1) = n(6n+6)*(n-1)(6n+6)...(1)

If your notation is right, this is what I got. They are not the same.
Original post by rawsex
What's the point in producing a lengthy algebraic disproof when all you have to do is use a counter-example?

Because this proof can be generalised and used for other cases while counter-example only exterminates one solution out of infinity.
Original post by JerzyDudek
(3(n+1))! = (3n+3)! = (3n+3)(3n+2)(3n+1)...(1)
3!(n+1)n! = 6n!(n+1) = n(6n+6)*(n-1)(6n+6)...(1)

If your notation is right, this is what I got. They are not the same.

3!(n+1)n! = 6n!(n+1) = n(6n+6)*(n-1)(6n+6)

Where did the 6 come from?
3!(n+1)n! = 6n!(n+1) = n(6n+6)*(n-1)(6n+6)

Where did the 6 come from?

3! = 6
Reply 14
need help on newton iteration
Reply 15
Original post by eslene
need help on newton iteration

Oh.
Reply 16
how do i find the straddle option within a n binomial model? can anyone help me on that please?

Quick Reply

Latest