The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences Applicants for 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lost And Confused
No offers yet no :/ Better have one within the next week to calm me down or it's going to be a longggg few months...
Not for the first year if you're into biology/chemistry :rolleyes:

I was largely on Pembroke for most of the time, TitHall was my 2nd favourite... Decided that I liked Pembroke for the right reasons and TitHall for the wrong ones :biggrin:

You sent off your SAQ? :smile:

Sounds like you came to the right decision! I have indeed sent off my SAQ last week I believe :-)
Original post by Alex Bampton
Hello fellow application person :smile: Haha I remember that fear, it's really quite simple though, if you really do get into a tizzle you can pm me your details and I'll upload them :smile:

I'm going in for the kill... I'll see how it goes... :tongue:
Now everyone can stalk me... Yay! :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by sewm47
Now everyone can stalk me... Yay! :smile:

Clean sweep A*s at GCSE...that's scarily good! (I don't waste time :wink: ) what attracted you to Corpus Christi in particular? :smile: Just out of interest, as it was on my shortlist at one point :smile:
Reply 44
I'm applying to natural sciences at UEA, with my other choices being Interdiscaplinary science at Leicester, environmental science at QM and nottingham, and Chemistry at Leicester. UEA is my aspirational choice, but I can have a dream :P
Original post by Nørgaard
Clean sweep A*s at GCSE...that's scarily good! (I don't waste time :wink: ) what attracted you to Corpus Christi in particular? :smile: Just out of interest, as it was on my shortlist at one point :smile:

Well 14A*s and 2As must have been harder!

I went to Corpus Christi for a taster day for BioNatsci and I really liked it :smile: It's small, central and has its not-too-expensive accommodation close by. Also the TSR pros and cons page was helpful (the fact that there's practically unlimited internet helped :tongue: )...
What made you choose Trinity Hall? :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by sewm47
Well 14A*s and 2As must have been harder!

I went to Corpus Christi for a taster day for BioNatsci and I really liked it :smile: It's small, central and has its not-too-expensive accommodation close by. Also the TSR pros and cons page was helpful (the fact that there's practically unlimited internet helped :tongue: )...
What made you choose Trinity Hall? :smile:

I'd have always thought being flawless would be extremely hard, but anyways I think we can both say we did alright!

Ahahaha, I used the pros and cons page such a lot in my decision! Seen as I wasn't able to view all the colleges when I visited :frown: that's a very decent reason for picking it, I wish I could have done something similar! I had a shortlist of colleges which I felt appealed to me, and from that Trinity Hall ticked the most boxes :smile: I liked that it was by the river but still managed to avoid the big tourist pull, and I felt that a small college probably appealed to me more. Plus a TSA is required at interview, and I've quite enjoyed the practice papers i've attempted whilst some may be put off slightly by this...so it just about edged it over Corpus and Magdalene! :tongue:
I'd have always thought being flawless would be extremely hard, but anyways I think we can both say we did alright!

Ahahaha, I used the pros and cons page such a lot in my decision! Seen as I wasn't able to view all the colleges when I visited :frown: that's a very decent reason for picking it, I wish I could have done something similar! I had a shortlist of colleges which I felt appealed to me, and from that Trinity Hall ticked the most boxes :smile: I liked that it was by the river but still managed to avoid the big tourist pull, and I felt that a small college probably appealed to me more. Plus a TSA is required at interview, and I've quite enjoyed the practice papers i've attempted whilst some may be put off slightly by this...so it just about edged it over Corpus and Magdalene! :tongue:

We should both give ourselves (and everyone else so they don't feel left out) a big pat on the back :tongue:

I had a similar problem with some, when I went I had to do a bit of pulling the prospective applicant card to get into them and even then walking round a quad once doesn't give you the best idea about a college.. Nor does looking at more than 5 chapels in a day! Honestly when I went round it was also about the porters, I found I liked the college a lot more if the porters were really friendly :smile: but then again I'm just really prone to like that sort of stuff (I'm very gullible...).

That's one of the things that I'm slightly sad about Corpus, my friend's just starting at Clare and the beautiful grounds were a pull for her! I like the bit in the TSA where it's less critical thinking, I don't like the bit where they ask you to pick out the meaning of a passage and that sort of stuff... So here I am as a person who has been put off by the TSA! :tongue:

All the colleges are great though at the end of the day :tongue: or at least we have to think that in case we get interviewed and pooled!
To whom it may concern (mainly Alex and anyone looking at Bath):
I can now proudly refer to myself as an offer holder! :smile:
Email today from UCAS - Bath, A*AA in Bio, Maths and Chem (A* not specified) :smile:
And only had to wait 8 days :cool:
Reply 49
Original post by sewm47
We should both give ourselves (and everyone else so they don't feel left out) a big pat on the back :tongue:

I had a similar problem with some, when I went I had to do a bit of pulling the prospective applicant card to get into them and even then walking round a quad once doesn't give you the best idea about a college.. Nor does looking at more than 5 chapels in a day! Honestly when I went round it was also about the porters, I found I liked the college a lot more if the porters were really friendly :smile: but then again I'm just really prone to like that sort of stuff (I'm very gullible...).

That's one of the things that I'm slightly sad about Corpus, my friend's just starting at Clare and the beautiful grounds were a pull for her! I like the bit in the TSA where it's less critical thinking, I don't like the bit where they ask you to pick out the meaning of a passage and that sort of stuff... So here I am as a person who has been put off by the TSA! :tongue:

All the colleges are great though at the end of the day :tongue: or at least we have to think that in case we get interviewed and pooled!

Definitely! :tongue: Ooh err, that thought didn't even cross my mind! :eek: hopefully the porters wouldn't be as fussy or disagreeable to students as they are to the normal public...got to have something to narrow your choices down with! :tongue:

I'm hoping that if I was to get in (long shot as I still view it) my best friend would too, and he could sneak me into King's so I could enjoy their grounds :wink: Ahh, my theory works! (Slightly!) Well it's definitely not for everyone, it's a very strange test :')

I do agree with that though, if I got in through the pool, i'd still be at Cambridge, receiving the best education in the world :smile: The college is just a bonus! :colondollar:

Email today from UCAS - Bath, A*AA in Bio, Maths and Chem (A* not specified) :smile:

Oh wow, congratulations! :smile: I'm extremely jealous, nothing yet from any of my universities, and mine's been sent off for 3 weeks :erm:
Definitely! :tongue: Ooh err, that thought didn't even cross my mind! :eek: hopefully the porters wouldn't be as fussy or disagreeable to students as they are to the normal public...got to have something to narrow your choices down with! :tongue:

I'm hoping that if I was to get in (long shot as I still view it) my best friend would too, and he could sneak me into King's so I could enjoy their grounds :wink: Ahh, my theory works! (Slightly!) Well it's definitely not for everyone, it's a very strange test :')

I do agree with that though, if I got in through the pool, i'd still be at Cambridge, receiving the best education in the world :smile: The college is just a bonus! :colondollar:

:erm:

True, there are so many colleges we had to cut them down some how :tongue: whether it be by the niceness of the porters or having the TSA!

Clever plan you've got there... You better start coaching the best friend or else you might be without a stunning chapel and some amazing grounds to crash!
Only the strangest for Cambridge :tongue: although the Oxford ones are also bad, a friend of mine has to do a French test and a Latin test :s-smilie: not to mention BMAT which are what my medicine friends are currently freaking out about! But to be honest they brought it upon themselves :wink:

I completely agree! Now all we have to do is get in... :s-smilie:

Well done! That was a quick turn around! :biggrin: You can relax now eh?! :wink:
Reply 52

Wahay! Well done mate, what took them so long? :wink:

Oh wow, congratulations! :smile: I'm extremely jealous, nothing yet from any of my universities, and mine's been sent off for 3 weeks :erm:

Thank you :colondollar: Hard luck on the having to wait a long time... But looking at your choices, you can be reassured by knowing that I don't think any of them have a reputation for fast replies (and Durham take agessss :rolleyes:) so at least it's nothing personal :biggrin:
And with grades like yours I don't think you'll even be needing those back ups :cool:

Original post by sewm47
Well done! That was a quick turn around! :biggrin: You can relax now eh?! :wink:

Thanks! :smile: That is indeed the plan, although I'm not sure how long the calm exterior will last before I want to hear from another! :rolleyes:
Did I see on the Stalking Page that you too have heard back from Bath? :biggrin:

Original post by Alex Bampton
Wahay! Well done mate, what took them so long? :wink:

Why thank you very much :smile: I think they just must've had to sit down for a few days to recover from how awesome all the natural sciences applicants are :wink:
Original post by Silverland

anyways I'm sending my SAQ off shortly. Still hugely undecided if I should label myself as a physical or Biological Natsci but hopefully it's only for administrative purposes as they claim :s-smilie:

By the way, if you still haven't sent off your SAQ, I believe that chemistry applicants are supposed to apply as Physical natural scientists (I know someone doing materials science at Gonville and Caius, and saw someone else talking about this on the cambridge natsci thread)
Probably not set in stone until after your interview though :smile:

Thanks! :smile: That is indeed the plan, although I'm not sure how long the calm exterior will last before I want to hear from another! :rolleyes:
Did I see on the Stalking Page that you too have heard back from Bath? :biggrin:

I guess the feeling is addictive :tongue: I'm sure the next one will be on its way to you soon, they just have to take their time in establishing your awesomeness :wink:
I have and I'm a big fan of the Bath course so I was ecstatic!
Original post by sewm47
I guess the feeling is addictive :tongue: I'm sure the next one will be on its way to you soon, they just have to take their time in establishing your awesomeness :wink:
I have and I'm a big fan of the Bath course so I was ecstatic!

The wait is now over xD
2nd offer was from Exeter yesterday - MSci in NatSci with AAB!
I'm pretty ecstatic to have one of my higher choices (joint 2nd) give me such a low offer :smile: Especially as my friend who also got an offer there (yesterday) for the same course was given AAA, so they must particularly like me :cool: Or just not like him much I guess...

Bath was actually my 4th choice as it was by far my least favourite course out of my final 5 units :s-smilie: May I ask why you like it so much?
:smile:
Reply 57
I am applied for Natural science in Cambridge (Jesus) biology of cells, material science and chemistry , Durham, Baths and Nottingham and Chemistry at Imperial. I haven't even received an email from Imperial or Nottingham confirming they have received my application. I am slightly worried that people are getting offers and my inbox is blank.

I am curious to know if anyone applied for a year in industry???
Original post by 123alexis
I am applied for Natural science in Cambridge (Jesus) biology of cells, material science and chemistry , Durham, Baths and Nottingham and Chemistry at Imperial. I haven't even received an email from Imperial or Nottingham confirming they have received my application. I am slightly worried that people are getting offers and my inbox is blank.

I applied for a year in industry at all my reserve choices~

also that's the exact same set of Cambridge modules as I'm hoping to do. How nice ^__^
Original post by 123alexis

Cool, I have quite similar choices: Cambridge (Pembroke), Durham (University), Exeter, Bath and Nottingham :smile: Although I am down a Biological NatSci route towards neuroscience/biochemistry, whereas I know that Chemistry/Materials Science are Physical options...

Anyways, for what it's worth, I (and several others) have offers from Bath :smile: However Durham are supposed to be one of the very last to start to give out offers (in general, not always), and Nottingham took 12 days to send me a confirmation email...
When did you apply? I imagine that it's at least partly due to that?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending