The Student Room Group

Factor And Remainder Theorem

Questions

6. When the polynomial 3x^2+ax^2+bx-1 is divided by x-2 the remainder is 5. When it is divided by x+1 the remainder is -1.
Find the values of a and b.

7. Solve the equations:
a) 3x^3-2x^2-11x+10=0
b) 2x^3+5x^2-14x-8=0
c) 4x^3+12x^2-7x-30=0

I have been studying how to use the factor theorem and algebraic long division, I was set these questions as part of a 2 hour assignment and I haven't got a clue on what to do.

I don't want solutions, I want to learn how to correctly work these out.
I have spent around 30 mins trying methods on each question with no luck. Kinda why I'm asking for help
Reply 2
what have you done so far?

tell me what the remainder theorem means, in your own words.
Original post by Thahleel
Questions

6. When the polynomial 3x^2+ax^2+bx-1 is divided by x-2 the remainder is 5. When it is divided by x+1 the remainder is -1.
Find the values of a and b.

7. Solve the equations:
a) 3x^3-2x^2-11x+10=0
b) 2x^3+5x^2-14x-8=0
c) 4x^3+12x^2-7x-30=0

I have been studying how to use the factor theorem and algebraic long division, I was set these questions as part of a 2 hour assignment and I haven't got a clue on what to do.

I don't want solutions, I want to learn how to correctly work these out.

For question 6, you can subtract the equation by 5 in order to make x-2 become a factor of the equation you got and minus -1 in order to make x+1 become a factor of the equation you got. Then use the factor theorem to get a simultaneous equation.
Well what I've been told by the teacher is to use the factor theorem to work out the polynomials, no number seems to work.

I know very little on the remainder theorem, been told by my teacher to use the factor theorem to work out remainders instead of using full blown long division.

I factor f(2) into 3x^2+ax^2+bx-1=5 and I don't really know what to do next since theres 2 values I have to work out.

For the other 3 questions I've tried factoring in possible numbers so for 7a) I've used f(5), f(-5), f(10), f(-10) with them all returning remainders.

I'd like to know where I've gone wrong.
Original post by bird in water
For question 6, you can subtract the equation by 5 in order to make x-2 become a factor of the equation you got and minus -1 in order to make x+1 become a factor of the equation you got. Then use the factor theorem to get a simultaneous equation.

That's where I got to. F(2) = (a*4)+(b*2)=-18
And a-b=3

Where do I go from that?
Reply 6
Hint for 7a

Try f(1)
Original post by steve2005
Hint for 7a

Try f(1)

So how does that help me find the other 2?
That's where I got to. F(2) = (a*4)+(b*2)=-18
And a-b=3

Where do I go from that?

you can get a=3+b from a-b=3
then substitute a in the first equation
Reply 9

Since f(1) = zero you know that x-1 is a factor, this leaves you with a quadratic.
Original post by bird in water
you can get a=3+b from a-b=3
then substitute a in the first equation

Oh I see. This is touching on that stuff I was taught about simultaneous equations for GCSE a few years ago
Original post by steve2005
Since f(1) = zero you know that x-1 is a factor, this leaves you with a quadratic.

Then I've got to use Long Division to find the Quadratic?

you can use the algebraic long division to get a quadratic equation and then just simply solve it!
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
For question 6 do the same again using -1 instead of 2, then use your two answers and solve as a simultaneous equation :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by floydmarshy
For question 6 do the same again using -1 instead of 2, then use your two answers and solve as a simultaneous equation :smile:

I think you've just resurrected a 2 year old thread! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest