The Student Room Group

Barbour jacket or something else?

I'm at uni up north and its freezing! thinking of getting a lightweight barbour jacket for ~£90-£110. my question is, do they keep you warm?? Also, could posters recommend other very stylish, lightweight jackets that will keep me warm for roughly the same price?

I have a quilted jacket already, which isn't a barbour, so I'm a bit skeptical about spending £100 on a similar jacket.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Mine keeps me fairly warm, I usually stick a few layers underneath if its cold though e.g t-shirt, shirt and jacket.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Last year they were on fashion point, but this year... particularly with those loathsome Pauls Boutique quilted jackets being sold to chavs, I don't think they're as big a statement. Probably better investing the same kind of money into something in this years high street fashion scope. I'm a man so my knowledge isn't the best but I have seen an abundance of pea coats and faux fur
Reply 3
Original post by Wattsy
Last year they were on fashion point, but this year... particularly with those loathsome Pauls Boutique quilted jackets being sold to chavs, I don't think they're as big a statement. Probably better investing the same kind of money into something in this years high street fashion scope. I'm a man so my knowledge isn't the best but I have seen an abundance of pea coats and faux fur

Yeah, I've seen less Barbours this year as well, particularly amongst the student population (first year at uni, haven't seen one yet).

Are Parka jackets fashionable? So you're saying pea coats and faux fur are in atm?
Reply 4
Original post by JamesYoung
Yeah, I've seen less Barbours this year as well, particularly amongst the student population (first year at uni, haven't seen one yet).

Are Parka jackets fashionable? So you're saying pea coats and faux fur are in atm?

In response to question 1; now I know what a parka is, they seem massively on trend for the season. asos are calling the parka their Autumn/Winter must have.

On question 2: I live in Newcastle and it would seem female students around there who aren't foreign are wearing pea coats and faux fur and bearing in mind the masses buy from the highstreet that means that the highstreet is selling lots of variations of pea coats and either faux fur jackets or coats with faux fur trims so yes, i'm willing to say that both of those are 'in' for the current season.

Hang on, are you a guy? Because obviously if you're a guy, your pea coat or trench if you're not a business man or willing to carry a briefcase is not the best look, and faux fur, unless its like shea lining for your hood or something is a bit 'fashion forward' for most. Parkas however are as in for men as they are for women. Colour wise, they all seem to be green.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Wattsy
In response to question 1; now I know what a parka is, they seem massively on trend for the season. asos are calling the parka their Autumn/Winter must have.

On question 2: I live in Newcastle and it would seem students around there who aren't foreign are wearing pea coats and faux fur and bearing in mind the masses buy from the highstreet that means that the highstreet is selling lots of variations of pea coats and either faux fur jackets or coats with faux fur trims so yes, i'm willing to say that both of those are 'in' for the current season.

Cheers, will look into them. How about Harrington jackets? Will need to see how warm they'd keep me though
Reply 6
Original post by JamesYoung
Cheers, will look into them. How about Harrington jackets? Will need to see how warm they'd keep me though

I like the harrington but they are quite short bodied and usually more of a jacket than a coat and are therefore not renowned for their warmth. They were fashionable last year but with the whole retro thing still being around they've come around again.
Wear a Barbour jacket if you want to. Simply following what's 'in' will only add you to the sea of ubiquitous outfits. If you're an adult, surely you should be over the 'that's so last year' quip that you might have endured as a child?

Peacoats are suitable as men's casual dress, contrary to what someone above said.
(edited 11 years ago)
What's wrong with a Barbour jacket? Just wear what you want, don't care about the trend, they can kill you!
Reply 9
Original post by Jermey Duncan
What's wrong with a Barbour jacket? Just wear what you want, don't care about the trend, they can kill you!

Why would you be in the fashion section if your contribution is not to care about what's fashionable?

And I saw a nice Barbour wax jacket today. It wasn't my taste personally but you may like it - especially if you want something different to a quilted jacket but still Barbour
Reply 10
Original post by ed-
Why would you be in the fashion section if your contribution is not to care about what's fashionable?

And I saw a nice Barbour wax jacket today. It wasn't my taste personally but you may like it - especially if you want something different to a quilted jacket but still Barbour

Could you recommend a nice lightweight jacket. preferably cotton and waterproof on the outside

Quick Reply

Latest