The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hey what was vetcam?
Reply 2
it was a 2 day conference thing at cambridge about studying veterinary at camo it was really gd there was like a formal meal and taster lectures and that. It was really good i made loads of friends. But stupidly 4got to get any contact things. But i recomend it if ur in yr 11 coming up 2 12
Reply 3
oh no...thats a shame i would have loved to have gone...im in yr 13 now bout 2 go into vet med:p: ...bit 2 l8!! lol
Reply 4
Yeah, a few of my friends from the 2nd year were doing that showing peeps round and stuff. I never went on it before i was an undergrad but i'm pretty sure it was useful. If you want to talk to anyone at Cam, then i'm available and i can put you in touch with peeps at other colleges if you want and they agree, they'll mostly be 2nd years but i'm sure i can wangle other years if anyone wants, just let me know.

Dan
Reply 5
Hey there, I also went to vetcam though am not sure if we spoke. pm'd you Charlie d.
Reply 6
I considered going but then heard the cost! Did you get a place Charlie d? I was a bit scared when I applied I would be at a disadvantage compared to the people who went but surprisingly I got a place at Clare. What kind of things did they tell you?
Reply 7
They did taster lectures which were cool, i enjoyed the anatomy one, which people are suppose to hate :s there was a boring walk round a zoology museum (but there was a smiling stuffed koala which was hilarious)we looked round a few colleges and had a tour of the actual vet school. It was really informative. And loads of fun. I dont think that whether someone attended or not is even considered when you apply as it wouldnt be fair for those who wanted to go but couldnt afford it. :smile:
Reply 8
I acctually looked round clare it is really pretty :smile: How did you chose what college to go to and how much work exp did you do? As i know Camo arent as "strict" on work exp as liverpool.
Reply 9
LOL only just realised what you're referring to as 'camo' obviously an expression I missed out on by not attending that course :p:
I didn't really consider Cambridge much when I started doing work experience and thinking of applying so I did the most I could- luckily prepared for the 10weeks minimum Liverpool asked for!
4 weeks small animal (a week at 4 different practices)
1 week large animal vet (mostly equine)
1 week dairy farm
3 weeks lambing (total over 3 easter holidays over 3 years)
1 week pig farm
1 week doing odd days helping out at a riding stables
1 week Veterinary Laboratory
1 week Zoo
+ Vetsix but not vetsim
Sorry to bore you there- yep Clare is pretty :smile: I only really got chance to look there and one other place I can't even remember on the open day so thought I'd chose Clare + not do an open application for fear of ending up in a girl's college!
Despite its prettiness I just don't think I could live for 6 years in Cambridge, it's even more of a 'bubble' environment that Stratford-on-avon (my local town) and am aching for a bit of real life, not necessarily clubbing every night but equally not somewhere they charge you £300 to go to a ball!
Was really surprised to get in though- they must have been impressed I had the balls to take a lot of guesses in the interview, even though I was seldom right! Maybe not going to the conference gave me a bit of an advantage because I'm not a very 'Cambridge' person, unprepared and relying on my wits!
Fell in love with Edinburgh but they didn't want me :frown:
Where have you chosen? What college did you apply to?
Reply 10
I am applying for 2007 entry, im thinking of applying at eith St Johns or trinity. I dont think i shall try at liverpool as i dont have 10 weeks work experience.
Reply 11
Yeah I wouldn't advise applying to Liverpool if you don't have enough work experience. I applied there having worked for a year and a half at a stables, one week plus weekend work over 4 months at a city farm, 3 weeks at 2 vets, 2 weeks on a cattle farm, and a week at a vet lab, this totals to over 10 weeks but still wasn't enough to get me an interview - I had one week to few at a vets I think (they told me work exp was part of the reason). Then again I cant remember putting lengths of time down on my PS so don't know how they would've known... maybe they got me to fill in some form, I cant remember

Anyway, my work experience was enough for Bristol to give me an offer and Cambridge, where most people who got offers had a lot less work experience than me!
As for choosing a college, you could check out statistics... most people who go to Cambridge claim this nonsense but because for vet medicine they have strict quotas on the no. of ppl they can take per college (this is the only subject for which this happens I believe as medicine quotas are shared between groups of colleges) and the statistics do show that year after year some colleges are much more competitive than others.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/docs/vetmed.doc
However the pool system does claim that it eliminates statistics between colleges, so maybe thats rubbish. I just didn't like the idea of applying to a college where I'd be the only vet student in my year!

That said if you really want to apply for a certain college, and that is definately your favourite, go for it, as you'd only regret it otherwise. My advice would be to look around as many colleges as possible, all over Cambridge. The colleges I thought of applying to before I looked round I hated, and I ended up applying to the last college I looked at on the open day, which I had't really considered before. Good luck with applying, work experience doesn't seem very important at Cambridge tbh, what does seem important is AS grades and marks, and high BMAT scores, so work hard.

Wow that was a long post. (edit: for me anyway!)
Reply 12
Awesome thanks. Yup working me arse off right now :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending