The Student Room Group

Arctic Monkeys

Scroll to see replies

So it seems Arctic Monkeys are headlining Glastonbury. Selfishly I was really hoping they wouldn't because I don't have tickets but I guessed they would for months, especially when the other tour dates came out. I'm so jealous though! :frown:
Reply 81
Been on the cards for ages that one.

Expecting an arena tour at the end of the year though.
Reply 82
I think they're quite hit and miss. Like 505 and riot van are absolutely bob on but then there are some of their songs that I think are really overrated :smile:
Loved the first two albums, then have not listened to them since, apart from the occassional foray back to Mardy Bum!

Now Mumford & Sons are what the Monkeys used to be.
Reply 84
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Loved the first two albums, then have not listened to them since, apart from the occassional foray back to Mardy Bum!

Their third album, Humbug, is their best IMO.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by YMLT
Their third album, Humbug, is their best IMO.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I agree, My Propeller, Crying Lightning, Secret Door, Dangerous Animals, all brilliant songs, wasn't too keen at first but gotta let it grow on you. Love that album.
Reply 86
I've recently gotten in to them and I love them! My favourite so far has to be Old Yellow Bricks..
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Mumford & Suns are so average it hurts. The Monkeys are one of the best band of the last decade. Very consistent through their entire catalogue. First 2 albums my favourites and will go down as classics imo.
Reply 88
So, opinions on the new song?

QOTSA inspired, Humbug era, album filler.

Sexy, but could do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YMLT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty exciting so far. I won't really be about to tell until we have a studio version though - most live versions are inferior, particularly when you don't know the song well.
Original post by YMLT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reminds me a lot of R U Mine? It's not bad, I like it better than most of the stuff of Suck It and See but doesn't quite measure up to what I've come to expect off them.
I quite liked it but hope there will also be some faster tracks on the album. Interesting to see When the Sun Goes Down and Still Take You Home have been dropped. Two of my favourites :frown:
Fake Tales is back though. Win some, lose some. I think my favourite 20 song Monkeys setlist would be something like this:

From The Ritz To The Rubble
Dancefloor
Teddy Picker
Dancing Shoes
Library Pictures
Still Take You Home
Dance Little Liar
Leave Before the Lights Come On
The View From The Afternoon
Do Me A Favour
Crying Lightning
Fluorescent Adolescent
Pretty Visitors
When The Sun Goes Down
R U Mine?
A Certain Romance

Mardy Bum
Piledriver Waltz
Secret Door

That was hard, I managed to leave out Cornerstone, Library Pictures, Fake Tales, Don't Sit Down, Suck it & See, Brianstorm [how??] and If You Were There, Beware.
So what's the verdict on the studio version of Do I Wanna Know? I really like it; it is a little too much like R U Mine? but I'm definitely happier than when Brick by Brick came out last time.
Reply 94
A lot better than the live version, which I guess is fair enough- phones are of course notorious for their high quality recording :tongue:

You can really see how Alex & Josh are influencing each other now. Its a very sexy song, loving the riff & the backing vocals. I like Mad Sounds too, although again we need a studio version really.

Anyway, sounds like the album is out in September with a tour starting in November (UK)
Reply 95
Their new sound is so so so sexy, amazing how much they've matured since their first album, they just keep getting better.
Reply 96
Do I Wanna Know? is so good, literally on repeat since I've brought it
I love it. Although the riff does sound awfully like a rehash of R U Mine.
I like it as well.

I wish their album picks up pace though. Can't wait for that.

Also, can't wait to watch Glastonbury on tv next week and see them. They looked so good in 2007.
Reply 99
I love the Arctic Monkeys. Very few bands have managed to capture my exact feelings in their lyrics, its as if most of their songs are just the soundtrack to my youth. There new single is pretty decent as well.

Top five songs:

1. Mardy Bum
2. Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweet Hearts.
3. Riot Van
4. From the Ritz to the Rubble
5. Leave Before The Lights Come On
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest