The Student Room Group

wearing tshirts illegal too now

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zürich
free speech, by definition, is unconditional.

Well the law disagrees with you.
Reply 21
Original post by El_Sid
Whine about the left all you want - that's not free speech.

If he'd gone to a home for blind people, would it still not be called free speech? No one can hear his views let alone see them. The same applies to the man's thoughts - no òne can hear or see them, but the views exist. Does that mean he should be done away with for thinking thoughts which are 'not free speech'? :rolleyes:

Original post by James82
Why is it ironic? That's what the left does.

Because they started out from liberal views and now look what's happened.
Reply 22
Original post by Kiss
If he'd gone to a home for blind people, would it still not be called free speech? No one can hear his views let alone see them. The same applies to the man's thoughts - no òne can hear or see them, but the views exist. Does that mean he should be done away with for thinking thoughts which are 'not free speech'? :rolleyes:

What the hell are you blabbering on about? The fact was that everyone could see the shirt, which was his intention - to provoke a reaction. So yes, he should have faced the consequences.

Also, for someone who apparently defends free speech, it's quite amusing that you reported one of my posts not too long ago because I apparently hurt your feelings by referring to you as an 'idiot.' Make your mind up.
I think this guy deserved it more than the April Jones guy, as he is technically inciting violence rather than just reveling in it.

I read this article the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19883828

I thought this quotation from the judge was funny:

With freedom of speech comes responsibility. On March 8 you failed to live up to that responsibility.

You can't legally enforce responsibility - then you're not being responsible, you're just following the law. We should stop calling it freedom of speech because a freedom that is curtailed is not a freedom. We may as well tell prisoners that they have absolute freedom of location - as long as they choose a location within their cell.

Having said all that, I won't lose any sleep over it as all these people are dicks.
Original post by JGHunter
Well the law disagrees with you.

The law has become the plaything of an out of touch, guardian reading chattering class determined to transform society to suit their own narrowly subjective tastes.

What would George Orwell say? He certainly had a vastly superior understanding of the fundamental virtue of liberty compared with modern lefties.
Reply 25
Original post by Zürich
The law has become the plaything of an out of touch, guardian reading chattering class determined to transform society to suit their own narrowly subjective tastes.

What would George Orwell say? He certainly had a vastly superior understanding of the fundamental virtue of liberty compared with modern lefties.

Point being? People seem to think that free speech protects these sorts of t-shirts. Whether I agree with it or not I have not stated and is irrelevant, people just make assumptions about what the law says and does.

Why should you be allowed to be a verbally abusive dick?

Furthermore, why should you be allowed to encourage inciting violence? Is your freedom of speech more important than another persons physical safety, if not life? If so, why? People who say "words are just words" lack any sense of social engagement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Kiss
Because they started out from liberal views and now look what's happened.

Communism is so liberal. :colondollar:
Dear morons who think freedom of speech covers everything, including causing needless offence and inciting violence,

It doesn't.

Kind regards,
The Law.

Dear Condescending Annoyance,

No one here has said that these rulings are not in line with the current law. They are saying that the law is out of touch with the true notion of freedom of speech and that the application of the law has changed recently.

Kind regards,

Everyone else.
Reply 28
Original post by James82
Technically he could just be a frustrated pig farmer who is questioning the humour of a website.

If he can prove it good on him
Reply 29
Original post by paddyman4
Dear Condescending Annoyance,

No one here has said that these rulings are not in line with the current law. They are saying that the law is out of touch with the true notion of freedom of speech and that the application of the law has changed recently.

Kind regards,

Everyone else.

You tell that to the one who thought up the sensationalist and inaccurate title to the thread.
Point being? People seem to think that free speech protects these sorts of t-shirts. Whether I agree with it or not I have not stated and is irrelevant, people just make assumptions about what the law says and does.

Why should you be allowed to be a verbally abusive ****?

Why should somebody have the right to ban what they find 'offensive'? No person has the right to define the parameters of public interaction, so long as anothers actions limit his/her's own freedom. Some people on this earth find women drivers to be offensive, others find certain haircuts to be bad taste. Should such things also be banned?

The Soviet-style arguement that something needs to be legislated away because it is 'offensive' is a complete and utter betrayal of liberal values.
Reply 31
Original post by Zürich
Why should somebody have the right to ban what they find 'offensive'? No person has the right to define the parameters of public interaction, so long as anothers actions limit his/her's own freedom. Some people on this earth find women drivers to be offensive, others find certain haircuts to be bad taste. Should such things also be banned?

The Soviet-style arguement that something needs to be legislated away because it is 'offensive' is a complete and utter betrayal of liberal values.

So domestic violence is a-okay with you, so long as it's verbal? After all it's offensive speech but I guess she should just respect his freedom of speech.
So domestic violence is a-okay with you, so long as it's verbal?

No, the spouse clearly has the right to leave that relationship and to seek protection from harassment. If the spouse is being prevented from leaving then a crime is being commited, laws have existed for decades for such cases. This is because it limits another individuals personal liberty, not because it is 'offensive'.
Reply 33
Have you ever been a domestically violent relationship? You are way oversimplifying it.

Furthermore, you agree that harassment is unacceptable, but a lot of incidents, including this t-shirt, count as harassment. It's inciting violence.

I suspect you haven't either. What makes you right and him wrong?

This sentence is an absolute joke. I am sick to death of people getting prison time for offending people.
Have you ever been a domestically violent relationship? You are way oversimplifying it.

Furthermore, you agree that harassment is unacceptable, but a lot of incidents, including this t-shirt, count as harassment. It's inciting violence.

Of course domestic abuse is a very real and complicated problem, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the 'right' not to be offended.

If somebody can simply ignore the other person then it is not harresment. Seeing an offensive t-shirt is certainly not harressment.
I love the first comment:

"Time to market one that says:

"my dad went to the UK and all I got was this lousy tee shirt

and a prison sentence""
Reply 36
Original post by Elipsis
I suspect you haven't either. What makes you right and him wrong?

This sentence is an absolute joke. I am sick to death of people getting prison time for offending people.

I have, actually, so kindly screw off.

This isn't just offence for crying out loud. It's incitement to violence.
Reply 37
Original post by ESPORTIVA
im pretty sure all the above is free speech

Trying to promote killing for fun should not be tolerated, no matter if it's free speech or not. If it was the right punishment or not is a different matter I'm not quite sure on my opinion of.

Disgusting.
Reply 38
Dear morons who think freedom of speech covers everything, including causing needless offence and inciting violence,

It doesn't.

Kind regards,
The Law.

Clearly the crux of the OP's argument is that it's not illegal.

Not that it being illegal is stupid.

Oh, wait.
Reply 39
If it's not against the law, what did he plead guilty to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending