Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Underpaid at work

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, feel free to move to a more appropriate forum.

I have been working as a cleaner for nearly two years now, for the first year and a half I was at university, so happily went to work, rarely even looked at my payslips, and spent money like it was my last day.

I have since graduated, and looking at improving my finances, I have noticed that recent payslips I have been underpaid (this ranges from £50 a month to £200 a month) I have only done the last three months worth of wage as I wrote my hours down.

I have since looked back at other pay slips and done the maths (hours I know I worked during certain months) and realised I have been badly underpaid.
    At work, their is only a sign in book, where we put our name and hours worked, the book is then changed when the last page is used up. I have asked my boss to see past books (as legally he has to keep them for 3years) however he just says the pay will be correct, I’m paying the wrong tax and other excuses.

I have been to the tax office and deducted the tax I am paying and deducted the breaks we get.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do, where I can go, as I know I have been underpaid, however I need the books to prove the hours I have previously done.

Thanks for any help
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Discuss this with Citizens Advice Bureau.

They are really good with stuff like this, genuinely, people get really stuck up about them and think it's like going to the job center or some nonsense.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is unlawful deduction of wages.

I'd send him a letter detailing
    - how many hours you worked, in those months you know about
    - how much tax you have paid (if relevant, photocopy the letter from the tax office which tells you; otherwise just say what they have said)
    - how much you were actually paid
    - how much you have been underpaid by
    Tell him that you expect full payment within 7 days, and if you don't get it then you will take him to an employment tribunal.

Not sure if you have the right to see the records (although an employment tribunal would get them out of him), but you also need to include a section in your letter telling him that you expect to be able to see the books within 7 days.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't the parts of the books that are about you have to be released under a Data Protection Act request? You could maybe get him with that.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Citizens advice bureau and prob court action if the guy intentionally underpaid you... Not only is it rude, it's also quite obviously illegal.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.