The Student Room Group

Do universities look down on people taking more subjects during a gap year?

I was just thinking about what I'd do if I never got into my first/second choice, and I'd probably take a gap year. If I did, I'd probably consider applying to Oxbridge next UCAS cycle, but a year out of academics would really bore me. Would Universities (these 2 in particular) look down on me if I took another Advanced Higher or 2, and a couple more Highers on top of what I'll have already achieved at a college? (I'd be aiming to have there entry requirements achieved for applying, the subjects would be taken purely out of interest)
Why would they?
Reply 2
Original post by Cutmeloose
Why would they?

I know top Universities don't like people taking there A-levels over 3 years. I was wondering if it'd be similar if I already had the requirements.
They'd rather you do something productive with your time than sit on your butt watching tv all day! (so no, I don't see why they'd have an issue with it)
Original post by TheFOMaster
I know top Universities don't like people taking there A-levels over 3 years. I was wondering if it'd be similar if I already had the requirements.

But in your case that requirement would be irrelevant, as you'd have the grades needed for your course within the two years. Your extra A-Levels would be a good sign of your commitment to education.
Reply 5
Thanks for putting my mind at ease :smile: If I don't get into my top two choices this year I'll apply down south for sure next year :smile:
why does it say year on every comment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending