The Student Room Group

April Jones

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele
Its interesting that in jails, no matter what heinous crimes they themselves have committed, they all seem to be united in their hatred of Paedophiles and traitors... :rolleyes:

Yeah. They're below murderers even.

I'm not sure why saying that caused me to get negged though :rolleyes:
Original post by Jerry
Yeh, she was given extra time to play outside on that particular day as she got a good school report. On the same day she went missing her parents went to her parents evening where Mark Bridger was their too... :eek:

She shouldn't have been out without an adult at that time IMO.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Historiana

i just don't see how a human being can do it.

i don't.

mind = blown
Reply 23
Original post by medicine gapper
i just don't see how a human being can do it.

i don't.

mind = blown

What makes it even more peculiar is that Bridger had a child of his own at a similar age. He was also a part of a tight knit community in a small village. On the face of it, he seems the last person to do such a despicable thing.

I just don't see why he's holding information about where April is. Poor family must be going through hell right now, this can only add to their woes. Reminds me of Ian Brady taunting the moors murders victims families...basically pretending to remember where the bodies were but then saying he'd forgotten.
Reply 24

An annoyingly large proportion of people on this site seem to be a bit to trigger happy with their neg buttons, sort of like a hillbilly whose won the lottery :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by Jerry
Yeh, she was given extra time to play outside on that particular day as she got a good school report. On the same day she went missing her parents went to her parents evening where Mark Bridger was their too... :eek:

was it the same day ? I dont know, I've heard he raised some eyebrows at the parents evening for appearing drunk ...that may just be a talk. its horrible whats happened. Im sure the police are holding back plenty of details and have a good reason for arresting him.
What if Mark Bridger isn't her murderer? What makes them think he is?

Original post by Jackass.
For the bloke to have been charged with murder he must have admitted to it but isn't telling them where he's put the body. They couldn't have charged him with murder if there wasn't enough evidence for it, i think she probably is dead. The fact this bloke has kids makes me feel sick. Just makes me more open to bringing back the death penalty.

That's why he's also been charged with perverting the course of justice: for not revealing what happened to her body (the main piece of evidence).

So you think he admitted to it? But wouldn't that make the headlines? I know nothing about law but it seemed to met he hadn't admitted to it.
Original post by olalala
was it the same day ? I dont know, I've heard he raised some eyebrows at the parents evening for appearing drunk ...that may just be a talk. its horrible whats happened. Im sure the police are holding back plenty of details and have a good reason for arresting him.

Where did you hear that? If true that's very suggestive of him committing the murder. But that might also be people dramatising and coming up with shocking stories and tales.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
What if Mark Bridger isn't her murderer? What makes them think he is?

So you think he admitted to it? But wouldn't that make the headlines? I know nothing about law but it seemed to met he hadn't admitted to it.

It'll come out at the trial if he admitted killing her or not.

They've got to be careful what they release of the evidence, in case the press reports might unduly influence upon the trial. There was a big fuss about the media reporting with the recent Joanna Yeates case that ruined an innocent mans reputation after he was arrested on suspicion of murder.

I can't possibly see what other evidence - beyond lots of blood/her clothing etc - would get him charged without a body. I think that kind of evidence would have been announced if it was found, whereas a confession might be hushed up because there might not be any other strong evidence to convict him on.

Perverting the course of justice is almost certainly related to disposal of a body or a refusal to confess what happened to her beyond an admittance he killed or seriously injured her.

It'll all come out in the trial. The media, as I say, have had many warnings lately because of the chance that reporting could affect a fair trial. There are actually strict regulations on what they can report, and they've been tightened up of late.

I just hope they find the girl and find out what he did to her, for the families sake.
I hope Mark Bridger did abduct her because otherwise they have ruined that man's life as well. I know they can't release any evidence but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the police arrested him with just circumstantial evidence. Even if he is found innocent all the 'no smoke without fire' idiots would judge him for the rest of his life.

I will await the facts, if there are any.
It'll come out at the trial if he admitted killing her or not.

They've got to be careful what they release of the evidence, in case the press reports might unduly influence upon the trial. There was a big fuss about the media reporting with the recent Joanna Yeates case that ruined an innocent mans reputation after he was arrested on suspicion of murder.

I can't possibly see what other evidence - beyond lots of blood/her clothing etc - would get him charged without a body. I think that kind of evidence would have been announced if it was found, whereas a confession might be hushed up because there might not be any other strong evidence to convict him on.

Perverting the course of justice is almost certainly related to disposal of a body or a refusal to confess what happened to her beyond an admittance he killed or seriously injured her.

It'll all come out in the trial. The media, as I say, have had many warnings lately because of the chance that reporting could affect a fair trial. There are actually strict regulations on what they can report, and they've been tightened up of late.

I just hope they find the girl and find out what he did to her, for the families sake.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that (about perverting the course of justice), what you said about it speaks volumes. :frown:

I negged you because I think that's a pretty disgusting attitude to have - to wish torture on another person? Do you think that's acceptable? Whatever a person has done, they deserve to have their human rights respected. It destroys the concept of human rights if we can decide who can have them and who can't - we need them to be universal so that the state can't mistreat its citizens.

I also found it disappointing that you seemed to think that prison officers 'turning a blind eye' to prisoners being abused is acceptable. People who have that attitude towards criminals shouldn't be in the profession.
Reply 32
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Where did you hear that? If true that's very suggestive of him committing the murder. But that might also be people dramatising and coming up with shocking stories and tales.

I live Across the road, my friends and family have all been involved in the search. Theres lots of very confusing things been said. Im not sure if he actually was drunk, but seems some of the parents there at the time have thought so.

Theres also some speculation relating to when he 'claimed' to find out about what had happened. people who have spoken to him after this happened on monday-tuesday before he was arrested seem... say he's said completely different things. All these people have spoken to the police.

Its upset a lot of people. My heart goes out to the family, Theres lots of pink ribbons around town, Iv spoken to people from quite afar who are wearing them.

One thing id like to point out...(not going to go into the ...child out at 7pm) but with relation to the distance, in the aerial photos make it look incredibly far, you could actually walk that distance in less than a minute. Again im not going to go into the debate about children outside at 7pm, im just pointing out the distance. Its a very sensitive topic and I dont feel comfortable getting into that.
Madeleine McCann 2.0, dead from day 1 but the family can't accept it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
I'm an actually quite intrigued that someone could just disappear like that in this day and age. You'd think with all the modern technology and forensics, etc, that they would be able to at least find a body.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I negged you because I think that's a pretty disgusting attitude to have - to wish torture on another person? Do you think that's acceptable? Whatever a person has done, they deserve to have their human rights respected. It destroys the concept of human rights if we can decide who can have them and who can't - we need them to be universal so that the state can't mistreat its citizens.

I also found it disappointing that you seemed to think that prison officers 'turning a blind eye' to prisoners being abused is acceptable. People who have that attitude towards criminals shouldn't be in the profession.

If they've tortured and abused a child, then I feel that they've denigrated their own rights sufficiently to live in minimal conditions with just the essentials to live on and nothing more. I clearly did not mean physical torture: they should well be put in conditions that amount to mental 'torture' where they are given the chance to realise the enormity of their crimes and reflect upon how those actions have led to them being imprisoned with fewer rights and privileges to a person who hasn't abused, raped or murdered a young child.

I think that is perfectly acceptable. I also think it's perfectly acceptable that other prison inmates should know what such people are imprisoned for, and being given scope to hurl abuse accordingly (which is what Prison Officers turn a blind eye to - at no point did I suggest they turned a blind eye to assault if you read my words carefully). I think it's well with the rights of others - even those who have committed crimes themselves - to express their disgust openly because in my eyes, killing, raping or abusing an innocent child are in the worst category of crime. You cannot do much worse on a moral level.

I think it's pretty disgusting that you believe that a person who has committed horrific crimes against children, should get the same level of 'rights' as someone who abides by the law. They should not be able to sit in a comfy prison cell with a TV, computer access and all possible commodities available on the outside. They should be left in minimal conditions, perhaps with some laborious but useful tasks to pass the time. Only in those conditions, where one is given the chance to realise how much they've lost materially and interpersonally, can any kind of regret or remorse be extracted.

In my eyes, committing these kind of crimes should automatically invalidate any right you have to living the remainder of your life in comfortable conditions. And let's face it: UK Prisons are very comfortable. They could be made much less so and still be found to conform with official Human Rights legislation. This is what these criminals should get: the very bare minimum. A bare cell, with no luxuries beyond that needed to keep them alive and they should not be afforded anonymity or protection beyond that against physical violence or injury. They should receive verbal abuse, judgement and derogatory comments for committing such horrific acts. In committing those deeds: you deserve comeuppance and recognition as someone who is warped to the point of being inhuman in all but species.

By the definition of many: child murder or similar is such an abhorrence as to render a person inhuman. It's much worse when considered that this Mark Bridger chap, who has been charged had a child THE SAME AGE as the one he has been accused of murdering. If found guilty, what kind of person does this make him? How can anyone kill a child when they're a parent themselves? A parent to one of the murdered child's friends, for example? How is that undeserving of extreme punishment? It should be extreme punishment and it should stretch to the very limits of human rights. They should be treated at the minimum level, because that is how they have acted.

I am not the only one that thinks this way. I am not a member of the legal profession, but I have legal contacts through my OH who is training as a criminal barrister. I know full well that there are leading Judges, QCs and Barristers who think in a similar vein to how I do.

Are they all disgusting too? Because they want these people to be punished appropriately? Don't be ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jack93o
I'm an actually quite intrigued that someone could just disappear like that in this day and age. You'd think with all the modern technology and forensics, etc, that they would be able to at least find a body.

Think of the Keith Bennett search. 50 years on, many advances in technology and still nothing.

I suspect that given the town's close proximity to water, she may have been dumped into a river or the sea. In which case, currents and tides will make it damn near impossible to find her because of the constant movement.
what do I think happened? I have no idea, and actually I have not even heard the reason they think this guy is the one who did "it" yet, although everyone seems convinced.
Reply 38
Think of the Keith Bennett search. 50 years on, many advances in technology and still nothing.

I suspect that given the town's close proximity to water, she may have been dumped into a river or the sea. In which case, currents and tides will make it damn near impossible to find her because of the constant movement.

yes but that was way back in the 60s, modern technology and advances in searches have only been brought in several years later

in this case the police and the whole community have committed all their resources and expertise into the search right from the very beginning when the likelihood of finding the person is greatest
Reply 39
Original post by cl_steele
Its interesting that in jails, no matter what heinous crimes they themselves have committed, they all seem to be united in their hatred of Paedophiles and traitors... :rolleyes:

murdering scums and general vile scumbags still have to find some ways to feel good about themselves :dontknow:

and what better way to do this than by taking up a false sense of moral high ground :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending