The Student Room Group

Mortarboard wearing

So Matriculation is upon us tomorrow! :eek:

But I have heard a few varying rules about the wearing/carrying of mortarboards. Can anyone dig out the relevant pieces of university regulations for me?

All I can find is as follows:
Proctors' and Assessor's Memorandum - Section 10: Conduct
Academic Dress. Cap and gown should be worn in the presence of the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, a Proctor, and the Registrar, when they are acting in an official capacity. Gowns should also be worn at University ceremonies, including University sermons.
Proctors' and Assessor's Memorandum - Section 10: Conduct
Members of the University serving in HM Forces are permitted to wear uniform underneath the gown. The uniform cap is worn in the street and carried when indoors.

I assume the latter doesn't apply to civilians. The first seems clear enoughish. Are all the "don't wear your mortarboard or you'll be fined" people just talking nonsense?
Original post by fluteflute
So Matriculation is upon us tomorrow! :eek:

But I have heard a few varying rules about the wearing/carrying of mortarboards. Can anyone dig out the relevant pieces of university regulations for me?

All I can find is as follows:

I assume the latter doesn't apply to civilians. The first seems clear enoughish. Are all the "don't wear your mortarboard or you'll be fined" people just talking nonsense?

Yes,

The square is rarely worn but there is no reason why it shouldn't be worn outdoors.

In relation to women, the rules changed some years ago. The square is carried indoors whereas the soft cap is worn indoors. It used to be the case that a woman had to wear the square (if she chose the square) at matriculation which was a real nuisance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes,

The square is rarely worn but there is no reason why it shouldn't be worn outdoors.

In relation to women, the rules changed some years ago. The square is carried indoors whereas the soft cap is worn indoors. It used to be the case that a woman had to wear the square (if she chose the square) at matriculation which was a real nuisance.
Why should the square not be worn inside?
Reply 3
Why should the square not be worn inside?

Because one does not wear a hat indoors (I believe). Women are allowed to have their head covered indoors (ie: think churches) hence the soft cap being worn indoors.
Original post by Kiki09
Because one does not wear a hat indoors (I believe). Women are allowed to have their head covered indoors (ie: think churches) hence the soft cap being worn indoors.

The idea of men taking their hats off indoors (other than in church or court where it was about deference-see George Fox and the Quakers) is a bit of a mid 19th century invention as rooms became warmer. If you look at old illustrations of the House of Commons you will see members wearing tall hats whilst sitting on the benches.

During the 20th century the position on the square seems to have become assimilated to that of a uniform cap probably because for the first 60 years most male students would have some form of military or cadet service and the wearing of the square came to revolve around capping (=saluting) and appearing before the proctors (=CO's report).
Reply 5
Are all the "don't wear your mortarboard or you'll be fined" people just talking nonsense?

Yes - even the proctors know that academic dress is just a silly tradition. Fines tend to be reserved for those deliberately flaunting rules, as far as I can see.
Reply 7
How did I not see this thread when it first came round?

But yeah, in case someone comes across this thread and isn't sure about the situation, mortarboards can be worn outdoors and are removed indoors as per standard hat ettiquette. Carrying a hat seems to me to be sillier than wearing it, even if it is a pretty silly hat to begin with. More importantly, if you wear it you can doff it at people, which is great fun.

I don't imagine you could get fined for it since it's all convention (though I guess at some ceremonies it's a pretty strict convention; only the VC and some other officiant were wearing mortarboards indoors at matriculation, as I remember, and I imagine if someone else tried to they would be corrected pretty swiftly). The military thing accords with standard military rules anyway.
Original post by dbmag9
How did I not see this thread when it first came round?

But yeah, in case someone comes across this thread and isn't sure about the situation, mortarboards can be worn outdoors and are removed indoors as per standard hat ettiquette. Carrying a hat seems to me to be sillier than wearing it, even if it is a pretty silly hat to begin with. More importantly, if you wear it you can doff it at people, which is great fun.

I don't imagine you could get fined for it since it's all convention (though I guess at some ceremonies it's a pretty strict convention; only the VC and some other officiant were wearing mortarboards indoors at matriculation, as I remember, and I imagine if someone else tried to they would be corrected pretty swiftly). The military thing accords with standard military rules anyway.

The real question is, how does one keep it on one's head? :frown:
Hair grips. Especially if you have nice shiny, newly washed, hair.
Original post by such_a_lady
The real question is, how does one keep it on one's head? :frown:

This. Though my mortarboard doesn't at all fit over my hair anyway. I just won't graduate and instead stay at Oxford forever :yep:
Original post by manic_fuzz
This. Though my mortarboard doesn't at all fit over my hair anyway. I just won't graduate and instead stay at Oxford forever :yep:

I see no problem here :pierre:
Original post by manic_fuzz

This is the exact and comprehensive explanation for the perpetual student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending