The Student Room Group

Trainee Accountant Starting Salaries

Hey all,

I'm currently applying to mid-tier accountancy firms such as Grant Thornton, BDO, PKF, Mazars etc. for audit/accountancy positions OUTSIDE of London, mainly in Scotland. Now starting salaries aren't my main motivation (eg I know Big 4 pay more but I'm not applying to them) however it's obviously still important in terms of rent/bills to pay.

I'm struggling to find any concrete info on starting salaries, however. I read on a forum that one of these firms was offering £17,500 and my heart sank a little 'cause I thought I'd at least be getting about £21,000 or something. Does anyone know, roughly of course, what these sort of firms pay? And secondly, does that remain fixed for the three years, or does it improve significantly as you progress?

Thanks in advance for any help people have! :biggrin:
Reply 1
It varies by region.

Salaries increase, year on year, usually when exams are passed.
Reply 2
Average for London should be around £25k
Original post by SlowPoke90

And secondly, does that remain fixed for the three years, or does it improve significantly as you progress?

Salary will increase as you progress. In London it goes from the 27k region to 43 once qualified (I think)
Hey all,

I'm currently applying to mid-tier accountancy firms such as Grant Thornton, BDO, PKF, Mazars etc. for audit/accountancy positions OUTSIDE of London, mainly in Scotland. Now starting salaries aren't my main motivation (eg I know Big 4 pay more but I'm not applying to them) however it's obviously still important in terms of rent/bills to pay.

I'm struggling to find any concrete info on starting salaries, however. I read on a forum that one of these firms was offering £17,500 and my heart sank a little 'cause I thought I'd at least be getting about £21,000 or something. Does anyone know, roughly of course, what these sort of firms pay? And secondly, does that remain fixed for the three years, or does it improve significantly as you progress?

£17,500 sounds about right; pay rise for 2nd year dependent on performance but about £300 I believe.
Hey all,

Deloitte pay £20k so I wouldn't expect more than that from mid-tier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending