The Student Room Group

Summer internship with a grad offer?

Hi,

Say if one has a grad offer from Bank A and also applies for summer interns for the same year, will the bank with the grad offer find out? Do they care? Any1 had similar experience?

What if you were then successful with the summer intern and take their grad offer and then at the last minute call Bank A and say they dont want it anymore. What happens? Is it true there is a 'blacklist'?

Thanks.
bump!
bump!!
Original post by diracdeltafunc
Hi,

Say if one has a grad offer from Bank A and also applies for summer interns for the same year, will the bank with the grad offer find out? Do they care? Any1 had similar experience?

What if you were then successful with the summer intern and take their grad offer and then at the last minute call Bank A and say they dont want it anymore. What happens? Is it true there is a 'blacklist'?

Thanks.

When does your graduate program start? Many start such that it's impossible to do a summer on top of it.

If that's not the case for you. Bank A might care, depending on who does your HR. They've probably had people renege before and they probably won't do anything in the short term. But who knows, it might kick you in the teeth later in your career, HR people move around a fair bit.
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks.

Can't say if all firms have a blacklist but I've read on a few of the threads on here, that some do
Original post by MinorityInterest
When does your graduate program start? Many start such that it's impossible to do a summer on top of it.

If that's not the case for you. Bank A might care, depending on who does your HR. They've probably had people renege before and they probably won't do anything in the short term. But who knows, it might kick you in the teeth later in your career, HR people move around a fair bit.

Grad programme starts in September. The reason why I'm doing this as Bank A wouldnt defer my offer and i really want to do a masters. The internship at an american bank would finish like a week before the grad programme starts.

Why would the HR people care? Surely it has nothing to do with them personally?
Grad programme starts in September. The reason why I'm doing this as Bank A wouldnt defer my offer and i really want to do a masters. The internship at an american bank would finish like a week before the grad programme starts.

Why would the HR people care? Surely it has nothing to do with them personally?

Think about it from the HR perspective. You drop out, they've got a spot to fill. This is extra hassle on their part, new interviews to arrange, new screening etc. Now I'm not saying it's a massive deal for them, what I am saying is that it depends upon the HR person. If they network with other HR professionals, wouldn't the kid who made me do this extra work be something you'd talk about over drinks? It's not about how vengeful they are, it's about how easy you're remembered. That same HR person might move on to a recruitment agency or another firm, so when you want to apply for PE/HF/whatever, they might be there, and if they're getting judged on the quality of their hires, why would they bother with you again?

It's just a risk, with unknown implications. I've known people that have gotten interviews because HR people who they had gotten to know had moved to a firm at which they wanted to work. HR are powerful people.

What are you hoping to trade up from? And where are you planning/hoping to intern? That's the deciding factor. If it's a big leap, it might be worth it. If not, maybe not. You can't make a definitive statement about these things because so much depends on the HR guy/gal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Think about it from the HR perspective. You drop out, they've got a spot to fill. This is extra hassle on their part, new interviews to arrange, new screening etc. Now I'm not saying it's a massive deal for them, what I am saying is that it depends upon the HR person. If they network with other HR professionals, wouldn't the kid who made me do this extra work be something you'd talk about over drinks? It's not about how vengeful they are, it's about how easy you're remembered. That same HR person might move on to a recruitment agency or another firm, so when you want to apply for PE/HF/whatever, they might be there, and if they're getting judged on the quality of their hires, why would they bother with you again?

It's just a risk, with unknown implications. I've known people that have gotten interviews because HR people who they had gotten to know had moved to a firm at which they wanted to work. HR are powerful people.

What are you hoping to trade up from? And where are you planning/hoping to intern? That's the deciding factor. If it's a big leap, it might be worth it. If not, maybe not. You can't make a definitive statement about these things because so much depends on the HR guy/gal.

Very good advise mate. Thank you very much. Just out of interest though, I hear of these people who did like 2 or 3 internships during their time at uni. DO you know how they do it? I would have asked them but i dont know anyone who has done that personally.

Thanks.
Very good advise mate. Thank you very much. Just out of interest though, I hear of these people who did like 2 or 3 internships during their time at uni. DO you know how they do it? I would have asked them but i dont know anyone who has done that personally.

Thanks.

The people I known who've done this either had connections at the firm they interned at or came to university with a very strong CV, usually because they had worked during a gap year (not necessarily in finance, just a well-known or related firm).
The people I known who've done this either had connections at the firm they interned at or came to university with a very strong CV, usually because they had worked during a gap year (not necessarily in finance, just a well-known or related firm).

Thank you very much for the helpful advise man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending