The Student Room Group

Pregnant on the pill?

I have been on Marvelon for over a year now. I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I did fall pregnant whilst taking it back in March, but I miscarried at 12 weeks. I haven't had a period in months as I've been running my packs on, and the last time I had sex was at the beginning of September. I stopped taking the pill 3 days ago so I'm now waiting on my period to arrive.

However, I've been feeling strange over the past few weeks. Although I have been pregnant before, I didn't experience any symptoms as I believe that the embryo failed to develop past the very, very early stages. I've been getting waves of extreme nausea, it's happened twice now in the last week. All I want to do is eat or sleep, and I'm peeing like there's no tomorrow.

I believe that the chances of pregnancy are slim, because it was quite some time ago that I had sex so surely I would know by now? I did have sex a week ago, but I know that would be too soon if I were pregnant... And I am planning on taking a test if my period doesn't arrive within a week of stopping the pill, I'm just looking for advice in the meantime.

Any advice? Has anyone been in this situation before - what happened? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take a test now.
Reply 2
I'm not sure about Marvelon, but is it supposed to be taken continuously,or with a week break per month?

If you're running the packs on when you're not really supposed to, doesn't that make it less effective as a contraceptive?

Just be patient. I know when I was on the pill I had so many weird symptoms. Are you taking your pill at the same time each day?
Reply 3
Original post by Beebumble
Take a test now.

I thought I'd be just as well waiting to see if my period shows up in the next few days?
Reply 4
Original post by MKZebra
I'm not sure about Marvelon, but is it supposed to be taken continuously,or with a week break per month?

If you're running the packs on when you're not really supposed to, doesn't that make it less effective as a contraceptive?

Just be patient. I know when I was on the pill I had so many weird symptoms. Are you taking your pill at the same time each day?

You're supposed to take a week's break, but I've been told that it's perfectly fine to run the packs on. The last time I had a break was in July. Yeah, I know you can get weird symptoms with the pill but I've been on it for a good while now so I thought things should have settled down. I don't take it at the same time, just when I remember and I admit I probably have missed a few days here and there.
Reply 5
Original post by bex1991
You're supposed to take a week's break, but I've been told that it's perfectly fine to run the packs on. The last time I had a break was in July. Yeah, I know you can get weird symptoms with the pill but I've been on it for a good while now so I thought things should have settled down. I don't take it at the same time, just when I remember and I admit I probably have missed a few days here and there.

facepalm.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by bex1991

My GP told me that not taking it at the same time everyday definately makes it less effective, and also, from personal experience, taking it at different times caused me to feel quite ill.

Did you miss any around the time of you having sex? (About two weeks before or one week after?)
Reply 7
Original post by MKZebra
My GP told me that not taking it at the same time everyday definately makes it less effective, and also, from personal experience, taking it at different times caused me to feel quite ill.

Did you miss any around the time of you having sex? (About two weeks before or one week after?)

But it's a 12 hour window that you can take it in, according to the leaflet that comes with it anyway.

Honestly, I don't remember. It was quite a while ago and I wasn't worried at the time, it's only now that I'm questioning it because I've been feeling weird lately and trying to think why. It's probably nothing, if my period comes in the next few days then I'll stop worrying!
Reply 8
Original post by RHCPfan
facepalm.jpg

Yes, thanks for that. Very helpful.
Reply 9
Original post by bex1991
But it's a 12 hour window that you can take it in, according to the leaflet that comes with it anyway.

Honestly, I don't remember. It was quite a while ago and I wasn't worried at the time, it's only now that I'm questioning it because I've been feeling weird lately and trying to think why. It's probably nothing, if my period comes in the next few days then I'll stop worrying!

I really think you should take the test sooner rather than later.
Reply 10
I'm reading up about the pill now, and I actually took a course of antibiotics at the end of August. My GP didn't mention that this could interfere with the pill. I also suffer from IBS and it flared up quite badly during August/September which meant that I was suffering from almost daily diarrhea. More worried now. :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by MKZebra
I really think you should take the test sooner rather than later.

Thank you for your advice. I might just nip out and get one now. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by bex1991
Thank you for your advice. I might just nip out and get one now. :smile:

Okay, good luck. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by MKZebra
Okay, good luck. :smile:

It was negative. :smile: I'll be more vigilant with taking my pill from now on! Thanks for your help hun.
Original post by bex1991
It was negative. :smile: I'll be more vigilant with taking my pill from now on! Thanks for your help hun.

Good :smile: And as well as antibiotics and diarrhoea, being sick can reduce the pill's effectiveness
Original post by bex1991

Make sure you also use condoms with a new partner, until you've both been tested.

Also you might want to go on another form of contraception e.g. implant, depot injection, IUCD etc if you have problems remembering to take the pill etc!
Original post by bex1991

Yeah you need to be more careful, especially on antibiotics as it makes the pill far less effective, this gave a scare for my brothers girlfriend because they did the same thing. You don't want to be playing russian roulette
Original post by Rock Fan
Yeah you need to be more careful, especially on antibiotics as it makes the pill far less effective, this gave a scare for my brothers girlfriend because they did the same thing. You don't want to be playing russian roulette

Thats not true any more, theyve found that antibiotics actually dont affect most contraceptive pills. Hence her doctor not telling her to use extra contraception
Original post by lilahnurave
Thats not true any more, theyve found that antibiotics actually dont affect most contraceptive pills. Hence her doctor not telling her to use extra contraception

Interesting... Marvelon is apparently affected by a couple of antibiotics...

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-relationships/medicines/marvelon.html
Original post by ageshallnot
Interesting... Marvelon is apparently affected by a couple of antibiotics...

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-relationships/medicines/marvelon.html

The name 'Marvelon' is a bit funny...
Sorry.

On topic, I know my pill (Cerzette) isn't affected by antibiotics, or at least that's what the label says. I think the internet is kind of helpful, but it will definitely say on the label because if they don't include it they'll get sued if you get pregnant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending