The Student Room Group

Girlguiding/Scouts

Hi everyone!

I am a young leader at my local guide unit and am about to start the adult leadership qualification.

Just thought it would be nice to have a thread where fellow leaders can discuss ideas for nights/camps etc and also share tips and get support!

Also for anyone who is interested in becoming a leader, feel free to ask questions! And any guides/scouts who are on here, please give us suggestions as to what you would like to do at meetings!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm starting my qualification soon! :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by PhoeenBanafrit
Hi! I'm starting my qualification soon! :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woohoo! Which section do you help out at (rainbows/ brownies/ guides) if you don't mind me asking :smile: ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RachelInTheRye
Woohoo! Which section do you help out at (rainbows/ brownies/ guides) if you don't mind me asking :smile: ?

Guides :biggrin: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Yep guides as well :smile: I did brownies too for dofe :biggrin:

Reply 5
Heya :smile: I'm almost 17, so a while from becoming a full time leader, but I've been a young leader with my local cub group for about three years :smile: theyr mental... XD
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
Heya :smile: I'm almost 17, so a while from becoming a full time leader, but I've been a young leader with my local cub group for about three years :smile: theyr mental... XD
I'm 16 (17 in June) I can start my qualification but I can't finish it until I'm 18 sighhh
Yep guides as well :smile: I did brownies too for dofe :biggrin:

I love Brownies! I did a 4 (Peer ED) session with my Ranger leader's group and they were fantastic!
Reply 8
I'm 16 (17 in June) I can start my qualification but I can't finish it until I'm 18 sighhh

I didn't know you could start before 18, or is that guiding only? I was a brownie when I was little
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
I didn't know you could start before 18, or is that guiding only? I was a brownie when I was little

I don't know you can work up to but you can only get your qualification on your 18th birthday :smile: we have 4 young leaders (incl. me) starting our qualification now :smile:
Reply 10
Hey,

I am just about to start my leadership qualification I have been volunteering at my local Brownie pack since I was around 15 and helped now again before that while I was still a guide. I recently turned 18 so should start my qualification soon. I'm also now do some activities with the Senior Section in my area as well.
hey :smile: I'm 17 and I recently joined explorers (scouts) last year and I just wanted to know what young leaders is like and what kind of stuff you have to do because I'm thinking it's something I'd like to do soon :smile: thanks!!
Hey everyone!
To those asking about being a young leader, in my experience its really fun! I kind of was half a guider/half a guide, because in my area there isnt a senior section so me and my friend became 'young leaders' when we were 16 i.e. we helped set up activities but also took part in them as well :biggrin:

Now we've started the qualification, and now that we are almost 18, we help with the planning of activities more and dont participate in as many of the activities...still do sometimes though!

Any way I suppose what i'm trying to say is that it will probs vary from unit to unit and from area to area, but thats my experience!

As for the qualification, our pack hasnt come through yet (grr) but I do know that you need a 'mentor' to sign all your stuff (ours is gonna be one of the guiders), you need first aid - this can be done through guides for free but if you already have a certificate, from dofe or whatever you dont need to do it again as far as I know. You also need to go to a district meeting, which is a meeting with all the leaders of guides/brownies/ rainbows in your district, and you need to keep a copy of the minutes as evidence (i've just done this haha) hope thats helped!
Reply 13
I help out with the rainbows .. they are sooo adorable !! :smile:
Original post by PriyaPaul
I help out with the rainbows .. they are sooo adorable !! :smile:

Aw never done rainbows myself but I'm sure they would be! Haha I loved rainbows, do they still wear tabbards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Aw never done rainbows myself but I'm sure they would be! Haha I loved rainbows, do they still wear tabbards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they don't wear tabards.
Each of them have their own uniform with the rainbows logo on it, with the different badges. :smile:
Hi everyone!

I am a young leader at my local guide unit and am about to start the adult leadership qualification.

Just thought it would be nice to have a thread where fellow leaders can discuss ideas for nights/camps etc and also share tips and get support!

Also for anyone who is interested in becoming a leader, feel free to ask questions! And any guides/scouts who are on here, please give us suggestions as to what you would like to do at meetings!

Im a leader at brownies. Have been for 6 years now. Have helped with the other sections on occasions (e.g. i helped set up a rainbow group in 2011).
I did my leadership qualification a while back- so if anyone wants to ask questions about it then feel free to ask me.
Im also thinking about doing my overnight licence and maybe camp licence in the future.
Original post by Emma:-)
Im a leader at brownies. Have been for 6 years now. Have helped with the other sections on occasions (e.g. i helped set up a rainbow group in 2011).
I did my leadership qualification a while back- so if anyone wants to ask questions about it then feel free to ask me.
Im also thinking about doing my overnight licence and maybe camp licence in the future.

its deffinately worth doing your holiday lisence! im getting it done when i finish uni, my mum did it a few years back (shes brown owl and im baby owl, even though im a qualified leader) and we love doing pack holidays, and our girls love it too!
iv already planned a pack holiday before and ran it, but i didnt get enough girls to do it officially and get my license from it.

ill also pos rep you to even it out as i dont see what you did wrong!

anyone wants to ask me questions they can, i did the new leadership qualification (they changed it as i was doing it)
Original post by PonchoKid
its deffinately worth doing your holiday lisence! im getting it done when i finish uni, my mum did it a few years back (shes brown owl and im baby owl, even though im a qualified leader) and we love doing pack holidays, and our girls love it too!
iv already planned a pack holiday before and ran it, but i didnt get enough girls to do it officially and get my license from it.

ill also pos rep you to even it out as i dont see what you did wrong!

anyone wants to ask me questions they can, i did the new leadership qualification (they changed it as i was doing it)

I know what you mean about the holiday licence. Im looking into doing it when i get a bit more time.
I didnt realise they had changed the leadership qualification. What has changed in it?
Original post by Emma:-)
I know what you mean about the holiday licence. Im looking into doing it when i get a bit more time.
I didnt realise they had changed the leadership qualification. What has changed in it?

i think it was the leadership, or was it the holiday license? :s-smilie:
i know i got a special badge with my leadership qual. but im now thinking it was the holiday license. hummmmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending