The Student Room Group

Girlguiding/Scouts

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I currently do Guides and Senior Section I need to brownies, till last weekend but i'm looking for another group.

Will senior section awards I've done alot of them:
YLQ
commonwealth award
Senior Section camp permit
Chief Guide award
DofE (however not with guides.)
I'm starting my ALQ
doing my Queen guide award

So if you have any queries about awards just ask I may know the answer.
Original post by abbythesmall
Hi, I currently do Guides and Senior Section I need to brownies, till last weekend but i'm looking for another group.

Will senior section awards I've done alot of them:
YLQ
commonwealth award
Senior Section camp permit
Chief Guide award
DofE (however not with guides.)
I'm starting my ALQ
doing my Queen guide award

So if you have any queries about awards just ask I may know the answer.

Wow that's a lot! I'm thinking Chief's Guide because there's no time limit:biggrin: I've done bits and pieces that should count for it but need to find someone in my area to sit and go through it with, and see what they say
Original post by sadpanda123
Wow that's a lot! I'm thinking Chief's Guide because there's no time limit:biggrin: I've done bits and pieces that should count for it but need to find someone in my area to sit and go through it with, and see what they say

Haha thanks, I'm not done yet!!
If you send me a pm i'll be more than happy to look over it for you and give you my opinion.

Commonwealth also doesn't really have a time limit (apart from the out of doors but you don't need to do that)
Passed my young leader qualification and am starting on my adult leader one! :eek:

Any other guiders going to the tartan gig on saturday? :ninja:
Original post by sadpanda123

you will have done alot of the chiefs guide stuff without even thinking about it, i did it so easily :smile:

Original post by tasha96
Passed my young leader qualification and am starting on my adult leader one! :eek:

Any other guiders going to the tartan gig on saturday? :ninja:

the ALQ is a lot easier than its made out, dont be scared about doing it at all!
Original post by PonchoKid

the ALQ is a lot easier than its made out, dont be scared about doing it at all!

I just get really nervous about things like this. :colondollar: It looks like there is so much to it! :eek: How did you find it? :hugs:
Reply 66
Hi, I'm a young leader at a brownie pack, and I'm going into my third year of it. However, I don't have a young leader qualification? None of the other young leaders in my pack did, and the leaders haven't told me about it. do I need it? Is it easy to do bearing in mind I'm going into year 13? Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by tasha96
I just get really nervous about things like this. :colondollar: It looks like there is so much to it! :eek: How did you find it? :hugs:

your mentor will go through it with you, and its not a test of how well you do things, as i bet you do it all already!
i found it really easy, i started doing it at 16 and had finished by 17 so had to wait a year till i actually got the qualification!
my mum happened to be my mentory, but that meant she was harsher on me than most, BECAUSE she was my mum, but its really not as hard as it looks!

Original post by kate3
Hi, I'm a young leader at a brownie pack, and I'm going into my third year of it. However, I don't have a young leader qualification? None of the other young leaders in my pack did, and the leaders haven't told me about it. do I need it? Is it easy to do bearing in mind I'm going into year 13? Cheers :biggrin:

i never did the YLQ, i did the ALQ straight away, and as your going into year 13 id suggested going straight on to that, as at 18 your old enough to be a proper leader :smile:
Anyone here done Peer Educator training? :ninja: Did you find it useful/worthwhile? :smile:
Original post by tasha96
Anyone here done Peer Educator training? :ninja: Did you find it useful/worthwhile? :smile:

Me!!!

It's good, I've run a few sessions, I did it back when it was 4 but if you get the chance it's a good weekend even if you don't use it after. I mainly just use some of the activities in meetings rather than running whole sessions though
Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread, i've been interested in volunteering with a rainbows or brownies group in my local area but i'm a bit confused as to how it all works, do you just phone up and then go along? Do you have to do these leader qualifications to help out?

Also, what sort of time commitment is involved? I'm going into my third year at uni and also have a part-time job and other volunteering commitments so wondering whether it's doable or not!

Original post by Antifazian
Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread, i've been interested in volunteering with a rainbows or brownies group in my local area but i'm a bit confused as to how it all works, do you just phone up and then go along? Do you have to do these leader qualifications to help out?

Also, what sort of time commitment is involved? I'm going into my third year at uni and also have a part-time job and other volunteering commitments so wondering whether it's doable or not!

You dont have to do any leadership quals to help out, you just need a CRB which girlguiding pay for i think. You choose how involved you become. You can literally turn up to weekly meetings and thats all or you can plan meetings and do things every weekend with them. Its your choice :smile:

If you know the local leaders number you can phone them or you can email the commisioner and theyl get you in touch :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Me!!!

It's good, I've run a few sessions, I did it back when it was 4 but if you get the chance it's a good weekend even if you don't use it after. I mainly just use some of the activities in meetings rather than running whole sessions though

Thank you! :hugs: I might have part of a first aid course on the same weekend, but I'll be able to catch up on the stuff covered in it later. Trying to decide which one to pick. :colondollar:
Original post by Antifazian

The way to join know is through join us of the guiding website, its easy to do and will get to the right person!!
Original post by tasha96

Me too i've done it for a year and i love it, the training is fun and it is genuinely a brilliant thing to do! i've done about 10 sessions so far. you do learn some good skills!
Anyone thinking about applying for the NSGSO orchestra next summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been in bits at guides, hit me that for the first time in 8 years I won't be there next week. Been with the same leaders since I was 6, they know me so well, my last night was fire, uniform is now delightfully smoky - got a place on the Christmas trip though. I will get myself there somehow!! Had a brownie come up to me at the end and tell me that they didn't want me to go too :smile: gonna miss my girls so much!!! Got a new set of names or three to learn in London though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to you all- the Guide and Scout movements are a wonderful opportunity for children to learn skills and have fun, and need people like you otherwise they could not happen.
:'(

Guys, I need help - specifically, someone please give me ideas and the like for Rainbows, taking over a unit because their warranted leader is leaving and I've never done them before!! They come complete with programme for this coming half term thankfully but there's so much stuff that needs sorting in the unit (they don't do roundabouts, they've yet to take a register, YLs not in uniform....). So, those of you that are Rainbow/Beaver peeps - help!? Please? I've been treating them like my youngest Brownies but there are some really little ones currently!
have you tried the guiders forum and have you tried the guide company or scout group on facebook, they should be able to help you, guiders forum would be better.

Register has to be done, so you know who is there in case of a fire, would assume no fire drills either? Get YLs in uniform, they are seen as leaders by rainbows, get them in uniform.

Don't deal with rainbows, but have dealt with Beavers, and also ACC (6-14 programme) so deal with Beavers as part of my role, but would say crafts is always a good start and cooking, now how good the cooking is, can be debatable.

Feel free to message me on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending