The Student Room Group

Not satisfying course entry requirements.

Hello all,

I really want to apply for Earth Sciences/Geology in some UK unis, and sometimes i see words 'No previous knowledge needed' but most of them require certain score (I do International Baccalaureate), and I have a better one than required. But the problem is that requirements also include science based subjects, not specifying which ones, just saying 'Science based higher level subjects'. I do not have sciences in my higher level subjects, only chemistry at standard. Since unis I apply to are not Oxbridge or Imperial my theory is that these requirements are only to scare some applicants away so it would be less applications to choose from.
Do you think I can get some offers even though not fitting the subject requirements but having a way better predicted score than required?
Thanks in advance,
P.S. Sorry for the essay above
Reply 1
Original post by alexanoles
Hello all,

I really want to apply for Earth Sciences/Geology in some UK unis, and sometimes i see words 'No previous knowledge needed' but most of them require certain score (I do International Baccalaureate), and I have a better one than required. But the problem is that requirements also include science based subjects, not specifying which ones, just saying 'Science based higher level subjects'. I do not have sciences in my higher level subjects, only chemistry at standard. Since unis I apply to are not Oxbridge or Imperial my theory is that these requirements are only to scare some applicants away so it would be less applications to choose from.
Do you think I can get some offers even though not fitting the subject requirements but having a way better predicted score than required?
Thanks in advance,
P.S. Sorry for the essay above

Hi, the best advice I can give is for you to contact the universities you are interested in directly, either by email of phone, and ask them how they would consider your individual case.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GiantPanda
Hi, the best advice I can give is for you to contact the universities you are interested in directly, either by email of phone, and ask them how they would consider your individual case.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks. Do that to every uni but they always give some general requirements or just give a direct link to the website.
Reply 3
Original post by alexanoles
Thanks. Do that to every uni but they always give some general requirements or just give a direct link to the website.

Maybe if you try phoning they might give you a straight answer as you are actually speaking to them...?
Reply 4
Yeah, im gonna try that one. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending