The Student Room Group

There is no point working for an investment bank anymore...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hackett
Sorry to bump only just found this thread, I take issue with your last point, having worked on both sell side and buy side. It's clear to see that a lot of sell side jobs are very limited with regards to exit opps, working on an equity derives sales desk, an equity sales trader etc etc you will find that there is nothing for you after you sit on one of those desks. At least with the buy side you have the opportunity to start your own thing.

Point taken, although lots of hedge funds are started by sell-siders so I don't think that's an exit opp unique to the buy-side.

From a personal perspective, it strikes me as a smarter move to start a career in a large organisation for two reasons. Firstly, if it transpires the product area / role you choose as a graduate isn't all you hoped it would be, then you can probably find a new role within the same firm. Secondly, if it transpires financial services isn't all you hoped it would be, then a brand-name BB will probably serve you better as a passport into any other industry / business school than an anonymous HF.

That said, if you're passionate about a particular product and know that you was to go the distance with it, then buy-side is definitely the right place to be.
Reply 21
Original post by JW
Point taken, although lots of hedge funds are started by sell-siders so I don't think that's an exit opp unique to the buy-side.

From a personal perspective, it strikes me as a smarter move to start a career in a large organisation for two reasons. Firstly, if it transpires the product area / role you choose as a graduate isn't all you hoped it would be, then you can probably find a new role within the same firm. Secondly, if it transpires financial services isn't all you hoped it would be, then a brand-name BB will probably serve you better as a passport into any other industry / business school than an anonymous HF.

That said, if you're passionate about a particular product and know that you was to go the distance with it, then buy-side is definitely the right place to be.

I agree with your points about starting of at somewhere 'large' and with a good brand name especially. Simply just because of the training you receive. Whether that be at blackrock, fidelity, schroders etc.

I'm not sure if most HF's have started from the sell side. Most HFM you know may have but most of the ones that I know haven't, there are so many out there that it would difficult to say which has the lead.

My last point is more general, all I'm trying to say at the end of the day is that people have to be forward thinking. Don't just go on any old desk because it have GS, JPM at the reception, because if you get culled which happens far to much in the sell side then you haven't really got any other options. Trust me I've spoken to tons and tons of people who have been there, some were fortunate enough to be culled after a 20 year stint and thus could retire, some were culled 5 years after joining and explained to me that it was the only thing they could do and with the market they were covering contracting the job was just pointless in terms of compensation.
Reply 22
Original post by Hackett
I agree with your points about starting of at somewhere 'large' and with a good brand name especially. Simply just because of the training you receive. Whether that be at blackrock, fidelity, schroders etc.

I'm not sure if most HF's have started from the sell side. Most HFM you know may have but most of the ones that I know haven't, there are so many out there that it would difficult to say which has the lead.

My last point is more general, all I'm trying to say at the end of the day is that people have to be forward thinking. Don't just go on any old desk because it have GS, JPM at the reception, because if you get culled which happens far to much in the sell side then you haven't really got any other options. Trust me I've spoken to tons and tons of people who have been there, some were fortunate enough to be culled after a 20 year stint and thus could retire, some were culled 5 years after joining and explained to me that it was the only thing they could do and with the market they were covering contracting the job was just pointless in terms of compensation.

On your last point, you could add that finance has pretty much topped. If you look at stuff like the ratio of wages in finance to rest of economy then read the news (UBS ending FICC) it is pretty hard to feel like a 'brand name' is going to help much (they don't really care if they have to can you 6m into grad scheme, your a worker). If barriers on capital accounts increase further (as in EMs) then finance is pretty much over. More specifically, if you look at people who are 'brand names' in the 'brand names' they are not doing well outside of IBs (Edoma). Finally, it is also pretty clear that a ton of jobs are going to get outsourced over the next five years, some of this will be 'front office'.

Basically, some people got very lucky being in the right place at the right time, they didn't create much value, they didn't need to be that smart, and the money is pretty much all gone. Confusing that with these places being full of smart/talented people seems pretty foolish. It makes more sense, if your interested in finance, to get a job somewhere that can makes money rain or shine and where you won't be outsourced/replaced by a computer i.e asset management/wealth management. Unfortunately, 'brand names' here are more difficult to find.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by webuffett
On your last point, you could add that finance has pretty much topped. If you look at stuff like the ratio of wages in finance to rest of economy then read the news (UBS ending FICC) it is pretty hard to feel like a 'brand name' is going to help much (they don't really care if they have to can you 6m into grad scheme, your a worker). If barriers on capital accounts increase further (as in EMs) then finance is pretty much over. More specifically, if you look at people who are 'brand names' in the 'brand names' they are not doing well outside of IBs (Edoma). Finally, it is also pretty clear that a ton of jobs are going to get outsourced over the next five years, some of this will be 'front office'.

Basically, some people got very lucky being in the right place at the right time, they didn't create much value, they didn't need to be that smart, and the money is pretty much all gone. Confusing that with these places being full of smart/talented people seems pretty foolish. It makes more sense, if your interested in finance, to get a job somewhere that can makes money rain or shine and where you won't be outsourced/replaced by a computer i.e asset management/wealth management. Unfortunately, 'brand names' here are more difficult to find.

You're overrating asset management in your last paragraph. Seeing as most funds do nothing but provide you with different types of risk exposure, your choice of employer basically comes down to finding the luckiest fund. Which means that whether or not you start your career with a "good name" basically depends on luck.

There are very few consistent strong performers in asset management. Look at Paulson & Co, Citadel, LTCM, GS Quant Alpha etc. which lost more money than they had earned for their clients ever in short amounts of time... I guess you could join Berkshire, but if you're in it for the money don't bother.

At least with the investment banks you have some faith that their business models are sustainable (people will need financial intermediaries), even if that market is changing drastically and even if the banks over hired.
Reply 24
Original post by Teenage Pirate
You're overrating asset management in your last paragraph. Seeing as most funds do nothing but provide you with different types of risk exposure, your choice of employer basically comes down to finding the luckiest fund. Which means that whether or not you start your career with a "good name" basically depends on luck.

There are very few consistent strong performers in asset management. Look at Paulson & Co, Citadel, LTCM, GS Quant Alpha etc. which lost more money than they had earned for their clients ever in short amounts of time... I guess you could join Berkshire, but if you're in it for the money don't bother.

At least with the investment banks you have some faith that their business models are sustainable (people will need financial intermediaries), even if that market is changing drastically and even if the banks over hired.

If you believe EMT then fine but not every one does. Even if you don't, AM is a far better business than IB (you don't get paid on performance). If you have a solid AUM (Edoma is probably an example of why this is important) and institutional accounts then you can make far more, far more consistently than in IB. The same economics probably apply to IBD outside BBs tbh. It is also true that some AM places are known for good training regardless of anything else i.e. Baillie Gifford.

(On your examples, you can just as easily give examples of people who have performed consistently. It seems important though that all those funds are fashionable and relied on one or two strategies for "outperformance". The market/prices are a totally social construction so stuff like this happens, the point is though that the only strategy that works is no strategy. More to the point, with stuff like equities it makes far more sense to invest based on value rather than a theoretical construction (remember these supposed "risks" are just invented by people to rationalize data) of what the market was/has been like in the past. I don't think risk exposure applies to under $50b either, it isn't pretty clear that EMT doesn't apply if your running less than this, depending on asset class. Either way, there is no easy answer in investing.)

Also, people don't need investment banks. Derivatives are obv not needed but if you look at US from 1945 until late 1960s there was pretty much no banking system and the economy did fine (In the early 1950s, the total amount of government debt was a multiple of the total business/commercial/mortgage debt combined). The increase in "need" is totally artificial and based on political change (i.e.deregulation/Washington Consensus) as opposed to moving towards a 'better version' of the world. Obv, people need finance but given the changes already made, it is pretty clear that IBs are toast (My guess is that investment/retail will get split eventually as well).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by webuffett
If you believe EMT then fine but not every one does. Even if you don't, AM is a far better business than IB (you don't get paid on performance). If you have a solid AUM (Edoma is probably an example of why this is important) and institutional accounts then you can make far more, far more consistently than in IB. The same economics probably apply to IBD outside BBs tbh. It is also true that some AM places are known for good training regardless of anything else i.e. Baillie Gifford.

(On your examples, you can just as easily give examples of people who have performed consistently. It seems important though that all those funds are fashionable and relied on one or two strategies for "outperformance". The market/prices are a totally social construction so stuff like this happens, the point is though that the only strategy that works is no strategy. More to the point, with stuff like equities it makes far more sense to invest based on value rather than a theoretical construction (remember these supposed "risks" are just invented by people to rationalize data) of what the market was/has been like in the past. I don't think risk exposure applies to under $50b either, it isn't pretty clear that EMT doesn't apply if your running less than this, depending on asset class. Either way, there is no easy answer in investing.)

Also, people don't need investment banks. Derivatives are obv not needed but if you look at US from 1945 until late 1960s there was pretty much no banking system and the economy did fine (In the early 1950s, the total amount of government debt was a multiple of the total business/commercial/mortgage debt combined). The increase in "need" is totally artificial and based on political change (i.e.deregulation/Washington Consensus) as opposed to moving towards a 'better version' of the world. Obv, people need finance but given the changes already made, it is pretty clear that IBs are toast (My guess is that investment/retail will get split eventually as well).

Even if you don't believe in EMH how are you going to pick a winner when it comes to AM? Seeing as no one in academia has figured it out, what makes you think a grad will be able to pick one? And it's silly to think that somehow investment banks are going to get displaced but for some reason beta hoggers aren't going to get displaced by index funds. It's the fastest growing sector in AM for a reason, some smarter shops realize this (BlackRock, PIMCO for instance) but running an ETF is definitely not as labour intensive as a normal fund so not exactly much space there. And the non-index funds that survive are going to be much cheaper than they used to be, so a less lucrative sector.

It's easy to say "invest in value", much more difficult to actually do it. Btw those funds weren't all quant funds, stuff like convertible arbitrage isn't a social construct, it's based on the law of one price. Unfortunately, leverage and a strategy of picking pennies from in front of a steamroller mean that you're gonna blow up if the market moves temporarily against you. Paulson & Co isn't a quant fund either, they were doing their own macro/value kind of stuff. Anyway, back to my original point about value being difficult: cheap doesn't always mean value, but there's no hard and fast rule for splitting the two. Even if EMH didn't hold, it would be very difficult for a fund to consistently find value with an ever increasing AUM.

But on the point of risks being theoretical constructs... umm, yeah they are. And it's pretty much agreed that none of these premiums are constant over time, confusing things even more. For stuff like this I like Andy Lo's Adaptive Markets Hypothesis which basically says returns get eaten by investor learning, risk premiums get bid down and then trades blow up, and then it repeats over and over again. That's the kind of stuff you can exploit with TAA/SAA, though unfortunately it requires you to be an expert in a lot of little things and to be able to time the market well enough. I guess you can use some useful rules of thumb (see Antti Ilmanen's book Expected Returns for a few quite interesting ones) to time the market but they're not statistically significant in terms of outperformance. I guess a manager who figures out how it actually works will be quite successful.

1945s to 1960s had people significantly worse off than today. Derivatives are useful, just not to the scale that they've been done these days. But as long as there's are securities, you need intermediaries. The demands of end users of financial products are complicated enough that you can't just have exchanges, you need some counterparties who are willing to take the other side of trades. Stuff like options are an incredibly useful risk management tool and they're maybe the perfect justification for investment banks (Hakanson's paradox -> if B-S(-M) assumptions are accurate, we don't need derivatives, if B-S-M assumptions are not accurate, B-S-M is wrong. Merton's answer -> B-S-M assumptions only come close enough to holding for some market participants)
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably take a top fund either on the quant side (AQR) or on the stockpicking side (Greenlight? Though don't like their forays into macro) over a bank, but a bank is the safer bet because there's absolutely no guarantee that AQR stays at the forefront of innovation in quant fin or that Greenlight doesn't grow too large to do value bets and loses it's shirt on stupid macro trades like long gold to "hedge the coming Obama/Bernanke QE induced hyperinflation apocalypse" or something..
Also with regards to equity/FI long only funds, the problem is that when 97% of returns are TAA/SAA and you're stuck to your ****ty style, it doesn't matter how great you are at predicting the markets, you're basically a source of some very slight alpha and a lot of very expensive beta.
Reply 28
Original post by Teenage Pirate
Even if you don't believe in EMH how are you going to pick a winner when it comes to AM? Seeing as no one in academia has figured it out, what makes you think a grad will be able to pick one? And it's silly to think that somehow investment banks are going to get displaced but for some reason beta hoggers aren't going to get displaced by index funds. It's the fastest growing sector in AM for a reason, some smarter shops realize this (BlackRock, PIMCO for instance) but running an ETF is definitely not as labour intensive as a normal fund so not exactly much space there. And the non-index funds that survive are going to be much cheaper than they used to be, so a less lucrative sector.

I am not sure it makes sense to say the gold standard of proof is academia, the point is that it is subjective, if your looking to be told what to do then your ****ed.

If you want to know who is going to be running a successful business do research and talk to people. As an example, I know someone who used to run one of the world's largest equity funds and he raised £200m overnight. That is an extreme example but you get the idea, all the obvious stuff is important. Your point about AUM is well made, I don't know what other classes are like but if you pass £50bn in equities your toast (its averages anyway). About convertible arbitrage, my point was that stuff goes through cycles, the returns are often illusory, great for a while then go to **** (sometimes quite literally given the insider trading/expert network stuff recently).

On investing generally, if you can't do it, you can't do it. Of course, it is difficult, if it was easy everyone would do it...everyone can't and that is why it works. There is no hard and fast rule for splitting value and cheap...if there was it wouldn't work. I know people who can do it (I used to run a value investment research website as well and I can testify to the difficulty of splitting value and cheap, lol) and the general rule is that it is about experience/judgement (not to the labour the point, if it wasn't this way, it wouldn't work so consistently...it is imperfect, that is why it is perfect).

My point about theoretical constructs, was that it doesn't make sense to theorize about the market the way academics in finance do. As AMH (I prefer Donald Mackenzie's stuff about 'perfomativity') implies knowing stuff about the market changes its nature. More importantly, knowing that such-and-such factor outperformed in the past is only useful if you have an accurate theory of why this was...most theories aren't very good (although I do like the betting against beta we discussed before). The problem is that tendency is to forget that you don't know the theory and think that all that historical data is actually telling you something. It makes more sense just to stick with an understandable, sensible, accurate sociological theory i.e. markets are what people make of them in the short term, in the long term they reflect value and get on with analyzing the underlying fundamentals.

I think we probably agree on quite a lot, I guess we have read all the same papers/books and such, your point about being stuck in a ****ty asset class also makes sense (that is why global equity is becoming a popular product). A bank is always going to be more risky though as there is always going to be someone doing something they shouldn't be (more to the point, given the leverage if someone does something stupid, everyone pays). I just don't get a lot of academic finance (I basically prefer looking at fundamentals today than trying to get in through the back door with historical data). We aren't going to agree on your last paragraph though, risk doesn't need to be moved about the way derivatives do, I get they are useful risk managament tools, the problem is too much leverage, too much macro volatility. The reason why people were worse off was lower productivity, capital allocation worked just fine.

(if you look into the topic of financialization there is a ton of interesting comparative analysis between countries that do open their financial/bond markets and those that don't, the ones that do open have lower growth, more financial crises. the difference between absolute and relative gains has also been badly fumbled here i.e. absolute gains to freeing capital accounts, all of this accrues to investors in the US).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending