The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonobebe
Hey people! I just saw an update at the British Council Website.

VISA Application talk by UK Border Agency
10.30am
Legacy Room Level 2

http://www.educationuk.org/Singapore/Page/EventDetailsLayout/EventsDetailsPage?eventID=1262438002750

Ohhh nooooo ): I can't go! Help me look out for important things? >.<
Reply 3221
Hi fellow singaporeans,
ADVICE NEEDED!

-should i do a foundation year with the University of Exeter, and then head to their uni,

OR

-just enter the University of Essex straight?

I'm interested in doing philosophy, and Essex is ranked 7th for it, BUT it's quite lousy as an overall uni i think ( ranked 39?). I'm generally afraid about the recognition of the degree, plus it won't help if i'm doing philosophy, because thats quite an uncommon course choice for singaporeans and employers today are still rather ignorant about philosophy.

do you think it'll be more detrimental to do foundation studies?

what are you honest opinions! and thank you so much!!
Original post by gcmh
Hi fellow singaporeans,
ADVICE NEEDED!

-should i do a foundation year with the University of Exeter, and then head to their uni,

OR

I'm interested in doing philosophy, and Essex is ranked 7th for it, BUT it's quite lousy as an overall uni i think ( ranked 39?). I'm generally afraid about the recognition of the degree, plus it won't help if i'm doing philosophy, because thats quite an uncommon course choice for singaporeans and employers today are still rather ignorant about philosophy.

If you already have an offer, whats the point of doing a foundation study?

And what are your career aspirations?
Reply 3223
Original post by gcmh
Hi fellow singaporeans,
ADVICE NEEDED!

OR

well i haven't heard of people doing a foundation year for philosophy til now.. (actually did u go and find out what they will teach u?) i had a friend who did a foundation year for politics and it turns out to be like GP lessons...
if u feel that the extra year will help u then go for it. however don't judge on rankings alone.
i am not sure which "brand" of ranking u checked but when i get on to the rankings for Philosophy course only, Essex is better than Exeter! (although just one step above)

check this out>>

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Philosophy
Just a point of interest. Would learning a bit of Mandarin be worth my time? I know English is the official language of stuff like education, but would knowing some Mandarin be appreciated by some of the locals in day to day life?
Reply 3225
Original post by GingerGoat
Just a point of interest. Would learning a bit of Mandarin be worth my time? I know English is the official language of stuff like education, but would knowing some Mandarin be appreciated by some of the locals in day to day life?

It couldn't hurt - but I would guess knowing more Singlish adapted mandarin phrases - or just Singlish in general would be appreciated more.
HI everyone!

I've just received my A level results and am waiting to enter uni this year. Right now I'm interested in becoming a biology field researcher, but I don't know how my interests will change after 3 years.

I have a place at Cambridge to study Natural Sciences (Biological), so I'm currently seeking scholarships to go there. But since applications for scholarships are very competitive, and there aren't that many which cater to my interests (biodiversity and conservation ), I not sure if I can manage to get one to go overseas. I've had people telling me to carpet bomb everything that can sponsor my studies, but what I'm worried about is the bond afterwards...plus I may want to do a PhD after getting a degree and some scholarships may not allow that.

What should I do if I do not receive a scholarship? Are there any other sources of funding? (Oh and I missed the Cambridge Trusts application deadline as well :/)

I reckon I've got a few choices:
a) Study at NUS then do PhD somewhere overseas -but what are the chances of NUS grads furthering their studies overseas later?
b) Seek private sponsorship in Singapore - how do you go about doing that? Has anyone heard of people who do this?
c) Save up enough to pay for 1 year there, then try to get funding for the rest of the course in UK? ( I think 1 year is the max amount I can cough up...)

Anyone got any other ideas/ can share their experiences? Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 3227
Original post by whitelily29
Ohhh nooooo ): I can't go! Help me look out for important things? >.<

sure :smile:
Reply 3228
Original post by hashbrown
HI everyone!

I've just received my A level results and am waiting to enter uni this year. Right now I'm interested in becoming a biology field researcher, but I don't know how my interests will change after 3 years.

I have a place at Cambridge to study Natural Sciences (Biological), so I'm currently seeking scholarships to go there. But since applications for scholarships are very competitive, and there aren't that many which cater to my interests (biodiversity and conservation ), I not sure if I can manage to get one to go overseas. I've had people telling me to carpet bomb everything that can sponsor my studies, but what I'm worried about is the bond afterwards...plus I may want to do a PhD after getting a degree and some scholarships may not allow that.

What should I do if I do not receive a scholarship? Are there any other sources of funding? (Oh and I missed the Cambridge Trusts application deadline as well :/)

I reckon I've got a few choices:
a) Study at NUS then do PhD somewhere overseas -but what are the chances of NUS grads furthering their studies overseas later?
b) Seek private sponsorship in Singapore - how do you go about doing that? Has anyone heard of people who do this?
c) Save up enough to pay for 1 year there, then try to get funding for the rest of the course in UK? ( I think 1 year is the max amount I can cough up...)

Anyone got any other ideas/ can share their experiences? Thanks so much! :smile:

Have you tried A Star scholarship? They sponsor students from degree till PhD (but the bond would be very, very long after that i.e 13 years). It's for prospective researchers.
Hi Cells,

Yes I did try to apply for it in the early cycle but was not able to get it... So I guess that option is out for me.
Reply 3230
Original post by iamlovinit05
If you already have an offer, whats the point of doing a foundation study?

And what are your career aspirations?

Thank you, i was just getting more opinions, because people have been telling me different things and it gets terribly confusing.

i want to perhaps lecture in future, and write alongside that. so i'm guessing it'll be along the lines of academia, BUT, reaching that will take considerable time so, upon finishing my BA, i will most likely do magazine publishing, journalism, or work for singapore AVA.
Reply 3231
Original post by theil
From what I have gathered Exeter is considerably more reputable as a university in the UK compared to Essex but regarding international reputation with Singapore employers I would think they are around the same? For me I would go to Essex and if need be spend that extra year doing a masters. I personally think the difference between Exeter and Essex doesn't warrant a 1 year foundation!

yeah, i'm hoping that employers will consider them both good. My sis says that as long as i go in, and come out with good honors, it'll be fine. so hopefully, where ever i go, i'll get top grade honors!! i'm also afraid of the misunderstandings people will associate with philosophy, but regardless it is my interest and i will stick to that :smile:
Reply 3232
Original post by theil
It's good to do something you like of course and if you aim to be in academia or journalism philosophy is totally fine. Your sis is right. I would think a 1st from either one would put you in good light for your career and eventually getting into a good university for postgraduate studies. And also from your career aspirations I don't think Essex or Exeter would matter that much. If you get good grades in either one I'm sure it will be enough to secure you an interview and what would matter would be your writing/verbal skills and other aspects of employability so don't waste that one year doing the foundation! Whatever it is good luck on your choice. Choosing between schools is indeed a very daunting task.

thank you! where are you headed to, and doing what?
Original post by theil
You can get along just fine with English in Singapore! Almost everyone understands English and you will have no problem navigating/communicating with almost everyone. Of course there are some that don't really have a good command of the language but there's always some locals around to translate so don't worry too much about it. And foreigners are already very well appreciated in Singapore so don't worry too much about that hahaha. But of course if you are going to be in Singapore for a long time it wouldn't hurt to know abit of mandarin.

I just meant as a courtesy, and of course it's a great opportunity to pick some up thanks to the immersion. I don't expect to come away being able to communicate extensively. I just know a lot of countries tend to look down on people who don't even try to learn some of the native language(s) (France is probably the best example :tongue: ). I'm sure I read that most people in Singapore don't actually speak English at home with their family, that the major language at home is Mandarin?
Reply 3234
I just meant as a courtesy, and of course it's a great opportunity to pick some up thanks to the immersion. I don't expect to come away being able to communicate extensively. I just know a lot of countries tend to look down on people who don't even try to learn some of the native language(s) (France is probably the best example :tongue: ). I'm sure I read that most people in Singapore don't actually speak English at home with their family, that the major language at home is Mandarin?

not true :tongue: Contrary to that, you should see the type of A level Chinese grades in my school! (and I think for most jcs hahaha)
Reply 3235

Tbh, the language people speak at home isn't much of an issue. Since most if not all schools use english as their language of instruction, you'll find that most people here can converse in english albeit with varying standards. So fret not!
Original post by bpbp
not true :tongue: Contrary to that, you should see the type of A level Chinese grades in my school! (and I think for most jcs hahaha)

Cheers :P I don't doubt Singaporeans ability to converse (British people have some of the worst English language ability tbh. Go to Germany and the quality of English is, a lot of the time, better than ours...it's sickening...). I just want to get the most out of my time living in Singapore :smile:
Cheers :P I don't doubt Singaporeans ability to converse (British people have some of the worst English language ability tbh. Go to Germany and the quality of English is, a lot of the time, better than ours...it's sickening...). I just want to get the most out of my time living in Singapore :smile:

Relax. I'm from Singapore and have been failing mandarin all the way. Even took lower level Mandarin and barely scraped through.
And I'm still surviving without much difficulty.
Original post by theil
Don't worry Singapore is nothing like some European countries!

Fantastic :biggrin:
Btw, Edinburgh, as a city and university, is fantastic :biggrin:
Was my second choice when applying here :smile:
Anyone heading to UBC or McGill?

There is a McGill info event in Singapore on 28 March; anyone's going?

Quick Reply

Latest