The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Hi all!

I need some advice here. I have received an offer from UWA, Bachelor in Commerce BUT I realized that it may be possible to study in UK given that the fees in Aussie is as high as in the UK. What do you guys think? I'm from Republic Poly with a GPA of 2.6 (bad I know) is there a chance for a place in UK unis? School is starting in July for Aussie and September for UK. So I am really confused!

Thanks for your input guys, Much appreciated.
Reply 3381
Original post by wingedbaby
Hi all!

I need some advice here. I have received an offer from UWA, Bachelor in Commerce BUT I realized that it may be possible to study in UK given that the fees in Aussie is as high as in the UK. What do you guys think? I'm from Republic Poly with a GPA of 2.6 (bad I know) is there a chance for a place in UK unis? School is starting in July for Aussie and September for UK. So I am really confused!

Thanks for your input guys, Much appreciated.

Have u went to UCAS website and shortlisted a few choices?
Hi there! Thanks for the help!

Yup, Exeter, UEL, Newcastle, Birmingham, I doubt I am able to qualify for UCL,KCL.

Frankly, I'm quite confused and lost with the schools in UK. I have seen some of the business courses they provided and it's really interesting like Management with Marketing from Exeter.
hey, am just curious, has anyone here already booked your flight to UK?
Which airline are you guys taking and how much was it?
Original post by Veeveevee

I just booked yesterday. BA to Manchester. One way paid 1070

I have too! SIA if I'm not wrong, it was about 1200 but mine is including a transfer to Edinburgh airport
Reply 3386
Is it a lot cheaper if you book your flights to the UK now as compared to like maybe booking a few weeks before departure?

I'm looking at flying to London Heathrow. Anyone know which is the cheapest airline/flight there?

Thanks!
Reply 3387
Original post by iamlovinit05
I just booked yesterday. BA to Manchester. One way paid 1070

Original post by Student-S
I have too! SIA if I'm not wrong, it was about 1200 but mine is including a transfer to Edinburgh airport

Original post by volante
Is it a lot cheaper if you book your flights to the UK now as compared to like maybe booking a few weeks before departure?

I'm looking at flying to London Heathrow. Anyone know which is the cheapest airline/flight there?

Thanks!

Hey people! are u guys reaching the uni on the first day of accommodation contract? or u plan to reach a few days before?

i am quite confused as my orientation package is only going to arrive in july and after asking the admin office staffs, i don't really know when's the best day to arrive still...

give me advice pls!!!
Original post by jonobebe
Hey people! are u guys reaching the uni on the first day of accommodation contract? or u plan to reach a few days before?

i am quite confused as my orientation package is only going to arrive in july and after asking the admin office staffs, i don't really know when's the best day to arrive still...

give me advice pls!!!

Yea I'm arriving on the first day!. But for my uni (Manchester) if you arrive a day or 2 earlier, they'll let you move in if u give them notice. I'm not sure about yours but you should email/call them to find out. Better book your tix now if not the price will just keep going up!
Reply 3389
Yea I'm arriving on the first day!. But for my uni (Manchester) if you arrive a day or 2 earlier, they'll let you move in if u give them notice. I'm not sure about yours but you should email/call them to find out. Better book your tix now if not the price will just keep going up!

mine i think strictly on 1st sept lor... asked them and they keep saying 1st sept only but my parents coming with me, i don't really want things to cork up.
mine i think strictly on 1st sept lor... asked them and they keep saying 1st sept only but my parents coming with me, i don't really want things to cork up.

Wow mine is only the 13th sept. Your's really early!
Reply 3391
Wow mine is only the 13th sept. Your's really early!

so all of u arriving on the start date of accommodation?
Reply 3392
Original post by wingedbaby
Hi there! Thanks for the help!

Yup, Exeter, UEL, Newcastle, Birmingham, I doubt I am able to qualify for UCL,KCL.

Frankly, I'm quite confused and lost with the schools in UK. I have seen some of the business courses they provided and it's really interesting like Management with Marketing from Exeter.

Most University will state the minimum entry requirement for you to meet before they can consider your application. Some may even include the requirement of Singapore's Diploma GPA. Check it out.

Go to www.airfares.com.sg to search for the cheapest flight. Click on "Book Online" rather than "Browse Fare" because that is the only way to reflect the cheapest flight.

I don't think SIA transfer at Edinburgh. The transfer should be at London or Manchester.

Original post by volante

Thanks!

Not really but yes in some way. The same price remains the same for a period of time. But prices differ on some "peak" days and normally the cheap options are booked by the time you're browsing through last minute.

Refer to my above reply for the cheap airfare.

give me advice pls!!!

Your orientation is to begin from 10~14Sep as refer from here http://www.hw.ac.uk/news-events/events/international-students-orientation-events.htm

So there is nothing much to worry.
Reply 3393
Original post by kenryou

Your orientation is to begin from 10~14Sep as refer from here http://www.hw.ac.uk/news-events/events/international-students-orientation-events.htm

So there is nothing much to worry.

Nono... My campus orientation is on 3rd to 7th sept. sch term starts on 10th.
Is it really preferred to reach on the day of accomodation start date? Or should i arrive even earlier and stay in a hotel first?
Reply 3394
Nono... My campus orientation is on 3rd to 7th sept. sch term starts on 10th.
Is it really preferred to reach on the day of accomodation start date? Or should i arrive even earlier and stay in a hotel first?

Depends on your mission. What is your goal or what will you do if you're coming early?

For example, your mission is to open a bank account without fighting in queue with other student during the coming start of the week, then you might want to arrive early. (In fact some banks do open on Saturday)

For my case, My fresher week starts on Tuesday, so I have no problem arriving on the accommodation start date itself.
Reply 3395
Original post by kenryou
Depends on your mission. What is your goal or what will you do if you're coming early?

For example, your mission is to open a bank account without fighting in queue with other student during the coming start of the week, then you might want to arrive early. (In fact some banks do open on Saturday)

For my case, My fresher week starts on Tuesday, so I have no problem arriving on the accommodation start date itself.

actually after checking some info out, my parents think that it might not be necessary to open a bank account there. if needed, i will do it after i settle down.

anyway, i think i will book my air ticket soon, can't wait anymore as the the flying dates are at early august currently. if i wait till the package comes in july, there will be no more seats left.
Reply 3396
actually after checking some info out, my parents think that it might not be necessary to open a bank account there. if needed, i will do it after i settle down.

anyway, i think i will book my air ticket soon, can't wait anymore as the the flying dates are at early august currently. if i wait till the package comes in july, there will be no more seats left.

Do note that you need a significant amount of money when you are there as it might takes almost a month to open a bank account due to influx of students. I was told to bring slightly over a thousand pounds with me. So if you are planning to buy some electronic gadgets, I advice you to bring more. If not, bring the amount you need.
Reply 3397
Original post by kenryou
Do note that you need a significant amount of money when you are there as it might takes almost a month to open a bank account due to influx of students. I was told to bring slightly over a thousand pounds with me. So if you are planning to buy some electronic gadgets, I advice you to bring more. If not, bring the amount you need.

i am planning to sign a hsbc savings atm card in sg, when i bring it over, i can withdraw money from any atm machine with visa plus. the charge is sgd$3.50 per transaction.

the main thing now is when's the best time for me to arrive...

give me advice pls!!!

Nope I'm arriving one day early and staying in a nearby B&B. I dont know about your uni but mine offers the option for early arrival! Did you check with the office?

Original post by theil
That's nice to know! How much did you pay for the transfer to Edinburgh?

I can't remember offhand and I'm too lazy to check because the receipt is with my parents hahaha.
Original post by kenryou

I don't think SIA transfer at Edinburgh. The transfer should be at London or Manchester.

Oh! I just checked my plane ticket, it seems I got mixed up. I'm taking British Airways not SIA :/
Nope I'm arriving one day early and staying in a nearby B&B. I dont know about your uni but mine offers the option for early arrival! Did you check with the office?

I can't remember offhand and I'm too lazy to check because the receipt is with my parents hahaha.

Oh! I just checked my plane ticket, it seems I got mixed up. I'm taking British Airways not SIA :/

When are you flying?

Quick Reply

Latest