The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Knogle
How many is "lots"?

Fact: Cambridge only has 22 places for international applicants. That's awfully little.

well. there's at least 4 or 5 i know. and from the cambridge fresher thingum i went for, there seemed to be an awful lot of medics. from singapore alone. plus there are people who didn't come. so perhaps that "official" stand was bent?
Reply 41
soonalvin
Came straight from the chairman's mouth during interview. can't be wrong eh? hahaha. although it's not really an officially official thing. chairman said it was possible. and upon meeting of several criteria.

Hmmm okay, well yep, it's a possibility. How did the interview go overall, and when will they tell you the results?
Reply 42
soonalvin
well. there's at least 4 or 5 i know. and from the cambridge fresher thingum i went for, there seemed to be an awful lot of medics. from singapore alone. plus there are people who didn't come. so perhaps that "official" stand was bent?

That's really strange. :dontknow: Oxford only has 7 places for int'l applicants to Medicine.
Reply 43
Knogle
Hmmm okay, well yep, it's a possibility. How did the interview go overall, and when will they tell you the results?

went quite well, methinks. as it did for most applicants. everyone seemed jolly. i am not too sure about when the results would come but astar has lots of money to spare anyway.
Reply 44
Knogle
That's really strange. :dontknow: Oxford only has 7 places for int'l applicants to Medicine.

maybe they gave more offers than there were places, based on the assumption that some people might not take up their offers due to financial issues?
Reply 45
soonalvin
went quite well, methinks. as it did for most applicants. everyone seemed jolly. i am not too sure about when the results would come but astar has lots of money to spare anyway.

Yeah, I heard they give out something like 40 scholarships per year. DSTA too. The two easiest scholarships to secure. :p: Gotta love research though.

Hardest ones would probably be GIC, PSC, EDB, and MAS.
Reply 46
soonalvin
maybe they gave more offers than there were places, based on the assumption that some people might not take up their offers due to financial issues?

Well.. maybe. Although from the look of things, they gave out far too many offers. Or they recently expanded their medical faculty -very- substantially.
Reply 47
Knogle
Yeah, I heard they give out something like 40 scholarships per year. DSTA too. The two easiest scholarships to secure. :p: Gotta love research though.

Hardest ones would probably be GIC, PSC, EDB, and MAS.

nah. they give out 60. that's their official stand. but i think they're giving more this year.
Reply 48
Knogle
Well.. maybe. Although from the look of things, they gave out far too many offers. Or they recently expanded their medical faculty -very- substantially.

maybe the quota was relaxed?
Reply 49
soonalvin
nah. they give out 60. that's their official stand. but i think they're giving more this year.

60? :eek:

You better receive the scholarship! That's an appalingly high number. :p:
Reply 50
You guys, I'm curious about something. When I first came to singapore right, (we're talking jan 2004 here) and was shoved into AJ by a random computer process by moe, I was horrified by all the orientations and stuff. I mean, is it the same everywhere in other jcs as well? Do you guys happily allow yourselves to sit in circles with 20 odd people for a full week doing all sorts of weird excuses-for-games and mass cheers until your lungs reach bursting point and do stupid line dancing?

Not meaning to offend anyone who actually enjoys all this, but I realy failed to (a) enjoy it (b) gain anything from it.
Reply 51
feanor_telamon
You guys, I'm curious about something. When I first came to singapore right, (we're talking jan 2004 here) and was shoved into AJ by a random computer process by moe, I was horrified by all the orientations and stuff. I mean, is it the same everywhere in other jcs as well? Do you guys happily allow yourselves to sit in circles with 20 odd people for a full week doing all sorts of weird excuses-for-games and mass cheers until your lungs reach bursting point and do stupid line dancing?

Not meaning to offend anyone who actually enjoys all this, but I realy failed to (a) enjoy it (b) gain anything from it.

Pretty much, yes. If you actually bother to mix around and adopt a positive attitude, you would have definitely enjoyed it. :biggrin:

Universities in Singapore play similar, if not more extreme games. :p:
Reply 52
Knogle
Pretty much, yes. If you actually bother to mix around and adopt a positive attitude, you would have definitely enjoyed it. :biggrin:

Universities in Singapore play similar, if not more extreme games. :p:

Well... I tried first time round and it was fine. Something weird but unique. Then came orientation 2, and guitar club orientation and current affairs club orientation and oratorical society orientation and hostel orientation and scholars' orientation and god knows how many more.

:mad:
Reply 53
Orientation 2, in most JCs, is a joke. :p:

Many people skip it anyway (or at least try to).

Orientation 1 on the other hand is when people dive straight in and immediately form new ties of friendship. :love:
Reply 54
who here's going to imperial this yr?
Reply 55
@ knogle... well, you must understand i was a stranger in a strange land then. Skipping wasn't so easy. Also, only two people from my O1 group were left in AJ after 2nd intake.

@ myriadguy

Its my insurance.
Reply 56
feanor_telamon
@ knogle... well, you must understand i was a stranger in a strange land then. Skipping wasn't so easy. Also, only two people from my O1 group were left in AJ after 2nd intake.

@ myriadguy

Its my insurance.

Yeah, I perfectly understand how hard it must be for foreigners to fit in and adapt at times.

Oh, and have you not received your 'A' level results?
Reply 57
Knogle
Yeah, I perfectly understand how hard it must be for foreigners to fit in and adapt at times.

Oh, and have you not received your 'A' level results?

Yes, I have. But Cambridge wants me to take STEP Papers in June.
Reply 58
Hmmm, why do people have to take those STEP papers, and others don't? Did you take any 'S' papers?
Reply 59
wad are STEP papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending