The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Routers on campus

Can you use routers on campus ? And are they easy to set up ?
Reply 1
You're not allowed to use routers or other similar devices on campus. I believe they're able to detect their usage too.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
It is against the CUA to use a wireless router for security issues - although plenty of people do use wireless routers and have never been caught.

ISS can detect if you are using a wireless router. Certain routers such as Apple's Airport actually announce themselves as a router on the network. However, most people in ISS have better things to do than find students who have installed routers in their bedrooms.
Reply 3
I know this thread is a month old but there's just something that you might want to note.

I have a friend who emailed one of the ISS team and what I got from the general gist of the message was that ISS's main issue with the use of routers is that some students set them up incorrectly and leave them open without a pass-key. Leaving a router open means that anyone within the range of the router can access your internet and increase your quota usage quite rapidly. If you were to set up a router, make sure it is hidden and you set up a secure pass-key so that other students cannot use it.

Also, like Curtisjk said, ISS have got much better things to do with their time than hunt down students who are using routers, that being said, if your quota usage starts to increase rapidly then they might investigate and if they determine that the increase is due to you using an unsecured router then they might restrict your internet access.

Don't take what I say as matter of fact though, it's completely your decision. I would suggest e-mailing ISS yourself and asking whether or not it would be okay for you to set up a secure router in your room that only you would use.

tl;dr

Ask ISS yourself, they've told a friend of mine that their problem is not with routers but the way some people set them up.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest