The Student Room Group

on access course

I am doing my access course in a year ( 12 hrs a week ).

I am a single mum of 2 ( aged 8 and 13 ).Up until recently I was on job seekers but I was told i have to work min of 16 hours as my daughter is over 7.So I am doing 16 hours on min wage,am actually better off.The course has been paid as I was on JSA at the time of enrolement.

Thing is i have taken too much on,am either at college or work or studying,am permently stressed and feel like am going to have a break down.My kids are suffering too.I cannot stop working as the job centre will be on my back,and I do not want to leave college as its my future.

Is there anything available financially if i do not work?could I still get my housing paid?or could I be allowed to claim job seekers if I am in college?they say you have to actively seeking employment.

Do not want to leave college but there seems no way forward

Please help!
Original post by stressedmumi
I am doing my access course in a year ( 12 hrs a week ).

I am a single mum of 2 ( aged 8 and 13 ).Up until recently I was on job seekers but I was told i have to work min of 16 hours as my daughter is over 7.So I am doing 16 hours on min wage,am actually better off.The course has been paid as I was on JSA at the time of enrolement.

Thing is i have taken too much on,am either at college or work or studying,am permently stressed and feel like am going to have a break down.My kids are suffering too.I cannot stop working as the job centre will be on my back,and I do not want to leave college as its my future.

Is there anything available financially if i do not work?could I still get my housing paid?or could I be allowed to claim job seekers if I am in college?they say you have to actively seeking employment.

Do not want to leave college but there seems no way forward

Please help!

Talk to your college - they will have advisers that will be able to help you work through your option. It might be that you reduce your hours at college, for example or you do more work from home. You might be eligible for financial support from the college. You don't know until you've asked.
Reply 2
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171615

if your not reciving it already, you should apply. though your college should be able to point you in the right direction :smile:
Reply 3
You are allowed to apply for JSA, they approve up to 16 hours of education..but its a thing of still being active in seeking a job, they don't really care about bettering your life by going to college...It is called Job Seekers Allowance after all. But as someone said try talking to your college to see if they have better advice for you.

As far as giving you advice about Access Course and the workload thereof, it does get hard...and you will contemplate about quitting, but persevere. I can tell from your post that you really want this, but you feel like all the odds are against you.. This will stay like this till the very end..Substitute sleep for perseverance if you have to. And always keep in mind why exactly you started doing the course, and use this to motivate yourself even further or think about what is awaiting you at the end and how sweet that will be..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending