The Student Room Group

Urgent: Need to choose a fourth choice

Hey guys,
I've got three of my choices sorted but barely any universities are e-mailing back (just the "we're very busy, we'll get back to you" thing). I'm a reapplicant retaking one module due to extenuating circumstances, got an average of 770 in the UKCAT and 6A*s 5As (+2A*s in an NVQ double award but I've been told that doesn't count), can someone please advise me where to put as my fourth choice? I've already chosen KCL, Soton and Exeter.

TL;DR- UKCAT of 770, Reapplicant, Extenuating circumstances + retaking 1 module, already chosen KCL, Soton and Exeter, which Universities would favour my UKCAT score and consider my circumstances and application?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
*bump*

Sorry to have to do this but I need to send it by tomorrow evening.
Reply 2
*bump*
Reply 3
Have you considered a Scottish University?? If so Dundee would be a wise choice. Their Med School is highly respected and they interview based on UKCAT score and academics with 60:40 weighting. Extenuating circumstances are considered as part of the application process.
Reply 4
Original post by Grad_UK
Have you considered a Scottish University?? If so Dundee would be a wise choice. Their Med School is highly respected and they interview based on UKCAT score and academics with 60:40 weighting. Extenuating circumstances are considered as part of the application process.

Thanks for your advice, but I was told that Dundee doesn't consider retakes, regardless of extenuating circumstances. Do you think I should just forget about my UKCAT and apply for Liverpool?
Reply 5
That's a shame. It's one of these situations where it would be best to individually contact admissions at various Medical Schools and simply ask... but as you say, deadline just about here!!

I suppose you could forget UKCAT and go for Liverpool. It seems a shame as you have an excellent score. There's also University of East Anglia??

All the best with your application!!
check here...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

but is yours an AS module or A level resit? this is for a level resit but if you read through each uni some specify AS module resits are ok as long as A level within 2 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sweetchilli
check here...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

but is yours an AS module or A level resit? this is for a level resit but if you read through each uni some specify AS module resits are ok as long as A level within 2 years.

Thanks, I would've given you a rep but I've reached today's limit :colondollar:. I'm re-sitting an AS module because I got BAAB in my four main modules, and BC in my practical modules (which I can't resit at my centre). Does my resitting an AS module in order to change the grade of my overall A-Level still make me a resit applicant because this is the third year?

I'm seriously considering Liverpool, but my only concern is that they won't see my UKCAT, which is definitely one of the stronger points of my application. Do you think Durham/Newcastle is too risky?
Original post by Sublatus
Thanks, I would've given you a rep but I've reached today's limit :colondollar:. I'm re-sitting an AS module because I got BAAB in my four main modules, and BC in my practical modules (which I can't resit at my centre). Does my resitting an AS module in order to change the grade of my overall A-Level still make me a resit applicant because this is the third year?

I'm seriously considering Liverpool, but my only concern is that they won't see my UKCAT, which is definitely one of the stronger points of my application. Do you think Durham/Newcastle is too risky?

no worries re: rep. just glad to help.

I'm really not sure about whether you are a resit applicant or not as not up on the English qualification system very well. I thought AS done in one year then A levels the next 2? Maybe you could post the specific question about whether you are considered a resit applicant and someone else may have a better answer/understanding.

Liverpool don't use UKCAT so wouldn't see your score and even if they did they would ignore it. With your brilliant UKCAT, Newcastle/Durham will be absolutely fine if you meet their other requirements. When is the UCAS deadline? Have you got time to telephone each admissions team of the unis you are still considering?
Reply 9
Original post by sweetchilli
no worries re: rep. just glad to help.

I'm really not sure about whether you are a resit applicant or not as not up on the English qualification system very well. I thought AS done in one year then A levels the next 2? Maybe you could post the specific question about whether you are considered a resit applicant and someone else may have a better answer/understanding.

Liverpool don't use UKCAT so wouldn't see your score and even if they did they would ignore it. With your brilliant UKCAT, Newcastle/Durham will be absolutely fine if you meet their other requirements. When is the UCAS deadline? Have you got time to telephone each admissions team of the unis you are still considering?

Thank you :biggrin: nevertheless I'll come back some time this week and rep you anyway :smile:. The system is AS in Y12, followed by A2 in Y13. AS and A2 together form the total A-Level, so I probably would be considered as a resit applicant.
The deadline is tomorrow :colondollar: I did phone universities but the majority said that they needed me to email them with my circumstances so that they could put them to the application committee and see what their responses would be. I suppose I could leave sending my application until tomorrow evening and phone again during the day, but that's risky and I'd much rather send it tonight. I may just go with Newcastle and put "no preference" for the campus site. Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending