The Student Room Group

Buying a PS3- How much memory?

Hey guys,

I'm planning of buying a PS3 soon but don't really know how much memory I am going to need, e.g. 160GB, 320 GB or 500GB. The main (well only due to price :biggrin:) games that I'm planning to buy at first are fifa 13 and COD.

I'm also planning to play online with friends.

Also, the PS4 won't be coming out any time soon will it?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Unless you're planning on downloading lots of games and movies, the 160GB one will probably be fine. If you do run out of space you can replace the hard disk with a standard laptop one anyway. A 500GB laptop hard disk only costs about £40.
I have a 60gb and have never ever struggled for space. I can't even imagine what you would use 500gb for. And as Psyk said you can do it yourself if you run out of space for cheap!
Reply 3
Unless you're downloading entire games or HD films to the hard drive you don't need 160GB. I used to have an 80GB model for a few years which got about 1/3 or 1/2 full before it was stolen. I'm now on a 160GB model...don't think I've even used 2GB of it yet.
I have a 320gb but also put a lot of movies and music on the HDD, as well as the fact my PSN+ membership gives me lots of games to download free
Reply 5
Man get a 320GB, you don't have to worry about space issues when installing games on the hard drive which a lot of games do nowadays. Just so you know about 20 GB is used for system data so you have about 300 to spare. For a 160 that means you have around 130 to 140 actually on the hard drive. Plus at 300 you've got a console with space for the next 5 or 6 years. Might be an option to look into the new Slim and see what each has in terms of space.
I've got a 320GB (for the price of a 160GB, they messed my order up :biggrin: ) and tbh I'm not sure I'll even half fill it, I'd say go for 160GB unless the price difference is pretty small now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MQ003C
Man get a 320GB, you don't have to worry about space issues when installing games on the hard drive which a lot of games do nowadays. Just so you know about 20 GB is used for system data so you have about 300 to spare. For a 160 that means you have around 130 to 140 actually on the hard drive. Plus at 300 you've got a console with space for the next 5 or 6 years. Might be an option to look into the new Slim and see what each has in terms of space.

Install sizes aren't going to be that big though. The limit for install sizes used to be only 5GB anyway (although I believe it has now been raised, so newer games may use more), so even if you assume a 10GB average install size that's 13 games. And plenty of games don't have an install option anyway.

Anyway, having space for the next 5 or 6 years is being a little optimistic on the PS3's lifespan :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest