The Student Room Group

Eligibility of Maintenance Grant

Anyone else who is not eligible for a grant - how have you planned to deal with this in regards to budgeting, finding other finance, etc?
It is assumed, whether rightly or wrongly, that parents will be able to afford to help their children if they are earning over the threshold. Mine couldn't afford it at the time, long story, but I was fine.

I got a job during sixth form to save up for the fees, and also got a part time job on campus while I was in my first year.

If you are living in student accommodation you may have to compromise on which one you opt for. For example, while many may like the sound of an en-suite, sometimes this just isn't possible given the funds available.

It is quite easy to find food cheaply, especially if you buy supermarket's own brands. You might not be winning any chef of the year awards for a while, but you certainly won't starve.

Talk to your bank about getting an overdraft. For some people, their overdraft is a real help, and you can usually get around £500 per year (or that's what I was offered anyway).
Reply 2
Thank you very much, this has helped my worries about it a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending