The Student Room Group

OCR AS biology practicals!!!

Hey! I have my biology practicals next months and I've just received my topics.

Qualitative: Identification and study of broad-leaved trees
Quantitative: The effect of temperature on cell membranes
Evaluative: The effect of temperature on cell membranes

If you guys don't have any info on any of the above, can you tell me some practical tips on the three coursework topics? If you've done them, some advice will be great!
Original post by alby37135

If you guys don't have any info on any of the above, can you tell me some practical tips on the three coursework topics? If you've done them, some advice will be great!

I did the exact same (at least from the information you have given) Qualitative task for my AS OCR Biology chunk. You need to be precise, if you are precise, you will be fine.

I cant go into detail because it is an examination and by nature other people won't have the same help, however, make sure you are confident with taxonomy etc. That is always a good place to start.
Reply 2
I just got told today that ill be doing it tomorrow:frown: crazy teacher

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by notsure
I just got told today that ill be doing it tomorrow:frown: crazy teacher

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

in all honesty, its really not that bad! AS practicals I found more straight forward than ISAs at GCSE (the grade boundaries are fairly high though), just know the basics e.g. mathematical stuff -calculating mean and know about precision and stuff like you did it GCSE! (very little content it tested tbh! )
Reply 4
Original post by HarryMWilliams
I did the exact same (at least from the information you have given) Qualitative task for my AS OCR Biology chunk. You need to be precise, if you are precise, you will be fine.

I cant go into detail because it is an examination and by nature other people won't have the same help, however, make sure you are confident with taxonomy etc. That is always a good place to start.

Hi. Thanks this is so helpful... can you give me a bit more of an angle towards where I could gain that extra marks :colondollar: How did it go for you??
Hi. Thanks this is so helpful... can you give me a bit more of an angle towards where I could gain that extra marks :colondollar: How did it go for you??

You need to use correct specific terminology, at the same time, if you are asked to write the genus and species of a thing then you need to do it correctly- Genus species (capitalize then all lowercase).

I think that was one I got full marks on. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HarryMWilliams
You need to use correct specific terminology, at the same time, if you are asked to write the genus and species of a thing then you need to do it correctly- Genus species (capitalize then all lowercase).

I think that was one I got full marks on. :smile:

:eek: I find it impossible to get full marks on my biology practicals... what other subs are you taking??
:eek: I find it impossible to get full marks on my biology practicals... what other subs are you taking??

Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I'm also doing an EPQ which incorporates both Chemistry and Biology looking at Alzheimer's and Aluminium (FYI; in Year 13). :smile:

I'm doing the exact same practicals as you....i've already done the one on trees and have the cell membrance one today...how did yours go?
Reply 9
Any tips for this qualitative task?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending