The Student Room Group

Guys: dating feminist women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Back off, men! We've got an extremist here.

Yeah, how extreme of me. To think that in situations where men and women are equal (such as workplaces) they should be treated as such.

Original post by NB_ide
I'd want her to be clever enough to realise that such terms are meaningless.

Could you expand on this please?

Original post by Wilfred Little
Doesn't make sense, there are non-feminists who believe women are equal to men. Actually I believe men and women are equal, and I'm not a feminist.

Just because you don't identify as a feminist doesn't mean that you don't hold a feminist belief that men and women should be equal. The only difference between me and you is that I label my views 'feminism' because they fit the definition of feminism.

What people generally have a problem with is the radicals. And I have a problem with them too.
Reply 41
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yeah, how extreme of me. To think that in situations where men and women are equal (such as workplaces) they should be treated as such.

Yeah, it's a shame isn't it, how sexist egalitarianism is. :rolleyes:
Just because you don't identify as a feminist doesn't mean that you don't hold a feminist belief that men and women should be equal. The only difference between me and you is that I label my views 'feminism' because they fit the definition of feminism.

What people generally have a problem with is the radicals. And I have a problem with them too.

Yeah but

Any woman who actively described herself as "a feminist" I would want as little to do with as possible.

So you'd rather date women who think they're inferior to you instead of equal?

Implies that if someone doesn't identify as a feminist they must think men and women are not equal.

So he can date a woman who isn't a feminist and thinks men and women are equal, so I'm not sure why you're asking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Could you expand on this please?

Talk of "equality" is hollow and meaningless and is just a buzzword that wins you friends in certain places and repels certain other people. It doesn't really mean anything, from what I can tell, or stand up to any scrutiny. Whether on this or any other subject I don't especially enjoy people talking about ambiguous you-have-to-say-this concepts such as "equality", "justice", "fairness", "tolerance", "free speech" and so on. You know the kinds of things I mean. They're about as deep as a puddle.
I wouldn't date a man who is not pro-feminist in some sense, nor someone with significantly different political views (i.e. I wouldn't date someone right-of-centre). But a sexual position is a position, not a political statement. What I would object to is if a guy would not consider different positions because of feeling them to be demeaning. I play with elements of domination and submission (from both sides) with my current boyfriend and several other ones, often in quite an intense manner - but that is about sex and a particular type of emotional release, again not a political statement.
I like feminists :smile: I am an egalitarian myself so I share their political views, plus they are often interesting to talk to and tend to be people I have things in common with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending