The Student Room Group

A-level, does method matter?

Hi,
In an Edexel A-level maths question will I still receive full marks regardless of the method I use to answer the question providing the answer is correct?
Thanks.
Original post by so it goes
Hi,
In an Edexel A-level maths question will I still receive full marks regardless of the method I use to answer the question providing the answer is correct?
Thanks.

For some questions yes, you will be fine. However it should be a method that the examiner will understand, so that if you don't come to the right answer you can still be awarded marks for your working.

Although for some questions, like proof by induction on the FP1 module, they will want to see the standard method given in the book.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi,
Thanks.

Depends whether you are told to use a particular method or not in the question.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Hi,
Thanks.

Unless they ask you to use a specific method, any mathematically correct method should be fine. Just make sure it's a generally accepted/well known method, though. To be on the safe side, just use the standard textbook method wherever possible, only use something unorthodox if you can't solve it through the standard method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending