The Student Room Group

16/17 Year Old Going To the Gym :)

I go to my local gym about 4 or 5 times a week on average I'd guess. I love going to the gym, particuarly the weight training, and it is one of my biggest hobbies :smile:

Just wondering if anyone is roughly my age and goes to the gym, (age doesn't matter too much i guess) and has any good exercises/routines/tips etc. for weight lifting in particular :smile:

Also what do you consider to be a good weight to lift for someone at a particular age and weight for certain exercises??
Well the routine I'm currently doing is chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders, legs and arms, for five workouts a week with rest days thrown in whenever. Incorporate in supersets (two different exercises in a row with no rest in between), drop sets (where you exercise to failure then simply drop to a lower rate and continue) and if you go to the gym with someone else negative sets (where you load a slightly heavier weight than you can actually lift and your workout partner aids your reps) and you'll be massive in no time.
Reply 2
Im 17 and I started going in september. I go once a week and quite frankly I am a novice when it comes to using the gym.
I do not have time to go more as I play for a football team and work.
I would also appreciate any tips about using the gym as well.
Reply 3
Original post by jacob1208
Im 17 and I started going in september. I go once a week and quite frankly I am a novice when it comes to using the gym.
I do not have time to go more as I play for a football team and work.
I would also appreciate any tips about using the gym as well.

Going once a week would result in very slow gains but yeah. You could try 2-3 full body workouts a week.

Check the thread out below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000017
Reply 4
Original post by Dhaden
Going once a week would result in very slow gains but yeah. You could try 2-3 full body workouts a week.

Check the thread out below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000017

Great thanks ! Like I said I wouuld go more but It I do not have time unfortunatly
Reply 5
Original post by jacob1208
Great thanks ! Like I said I wouuld go more but It I do not have time unfortunatly

Don't worry about it, your football will give you a good athletic lean look adding in the odd weights session and your good to go with a decent diet.

Even going once a week you'll see results, always remember someone telling me this: Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was your body.
Reply 6
Your journey has begun, good luck.
Reply 7
I'm in the same situation as you! I'm meant to be on a 3 day per week workout, but due to work and college I am currently working on a 2 and 3 when I can, consisting of Bicep and Chest. Tricep Shoulders. Back and legs. And when its the two day a week, I alternate between back and leg on the second day split them over the two days.
Reply 8
Original post by Dhaden
Don't worry about it, your football will give you a good athletic lean look adding in the odd weights session and your good to go with a decent diet.

Even going once a week you'll see results, always remember someone telling me this: Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was your body.

Sorry for not replying been proper busy recently. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest