The Student Room Group

What is more important for employers qualifications or experience

I have good GCSEs all above average.
My A levels are not that good
But I have a 2 previous work experience and 2 voluntary work.
Also I am going to do a degree in Bsc Business.
There is no simple answer to that. Usually, it's a combination of the two, but it does depend what you are applying for.
Original post by Little Jules
There is no simple answer to that. Usually, it's a combination of the two, but it does depend what you are applying for.

I want do get into a business firm, government jobs like civil service or small business firms I am gonna do a business management degree. What is more important grades or experience?
For your first job, both. They will be looking at your CV as a whole package. Good grades can make up for less work experience, and great work experience can make up for less good grades. The civil service application is through blind aptitude tests (google the Fast Stream for more info), so that's different anyway.
Reply 4
If you're looking a grad scheme, grades. Most other jobs I see advertised want experience though.
Reply 5
Having just finished my last year of university and (somehow) managed to secure a job, I can safely say you need a strong 2:1 AND wider experience. The abundance of 2:1s and Firsts that are coming out of university now make the graduate job market a lot tougher than it was, and a First just doesn't help the way it used to.

The wider experience though will be of most benefit in an interview situation. For the ngdp (local government graduate scheme) I was asked to provide examples of management situations, times when I had to work under intense pressure, amongst a raft of other things. If I had only spent my time at university getting a degree and nothing more, I would not have got the job.

As the others have said though, it really depends on what you're applying for. Civil Service (and ngdp to an extent) is based on aptitude, nothing more, until you reach the interview stages, then your experience comes into play.
Original post by netprime
Having just finished my last year of university and (somehow) managed to secure a job, I can safely say you need a strong 2:1 AND wider experience. The abundance of 2:1s and Firsts that are coming out of university now make the graduate job market a lot tougher than it was, and a First just doesn't help the way it used to.

The wider experience though will be of most benefit in an interview situation. For the ngdp (local government graduate scheme) I was asked to provide examples of management situations, times when I had to work under intense pressure, amongst a raft of other things. If I had only spent my time at university getting a degree and nothing more, I would not have got the job.

As the others have said though, it really depends on what you're applying for. Civil Service (and ngdp to an extent) is based on aptitude, nothing more, until you reach the interview stages, then your experience comes into play.

Thanks are you working now and what experience do you have on your CV?
Just wondering what the typical graduate puts on their CV as work experience
Reply 7
You've talked in your post about GCSE's and A-levels. I wouldn't worry about those, as in, few employers will be looking as far back as GCSE's once you've got a degree under your belt. Some may look at your A-levels but certainly not many. Academics wise, most will mainly look at your degree classification.

On your CV you're going to aim to have want good academics, evidence of being extra-curricular at Uni (e.g. being a social sec at uni or something, volunteering etc), internships, work experience, part time jobs, placements.. everything you can manage :smile:
Reply 8
If you have a degree at either 1:1 or 2:1 then then you meet the grade boundaries for many grad schemes.
However some (e.g. big 4) ask for 280-300+ ucas points from 3 a levels too.
Once you've made it to interview and testing, then you can show off and they'll judge you on that.
Basically, try and get a first at uni and you'll have as good a chance as anyone.
Reply 9
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Thanks are you working now and what experience do you have on your CV?
Just wondering what the typical graduate puts on their CV as work experience

Apologies for the delay, been at Warwick University as part of my current programme for the last few days!

I am currently on the national graduate development programme, which is the local government's version of the civil service fast stream. It's a two year fully paid job with some fantastic learning opportunities.

I tailored my CV depending on the job I was applying for - a simple "send out as many as you can" approach does not work. I knew I wanted to go into management, so I worked on gaining experiences which would display good managerial techniques - communication, team leadership, project management, crisis resolution.

My best bit of advice is go check out your careers centre at university, mine was incredibly helpful in building my CV and preparing me for interviews.
Reply 10
When I started my current job managing 13 staff my employer didn't put much weight on my education. It was all based on a competency based interview.

I ended up managing a team of new recruits which varied from graduates to people with no work experience for the past 15 years. I later "inherited" 4 trainees of which some had greater work experience and qualifications than my existing staff. I later reviewed the transcripts of their interviews and saw that it was due to borderline interview scores.

Almost a year on and out of 17 their are only 8 left, mostly due to people being dismissed (some had lied about qualifications or work experience). However I have recruited a further 18 staff and employment decisions were based purely on how they have interviewed as what they got in GCSE's, A Levels or if they have a degree doesn't necessarily mean they can do the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending