The Student Room Group

Univeristy Hours?

Hi,

I am going to university next year and wondered how long do you spend at University at your lectures? Does it start at 9 AM or is it more flexible?
Reply 1
Depends on the course. Some will be starting at 9am most days, finishing between midday and 5pm. Others might only have a handful of mid morning/afternoon lectures.
Reply 2
Original post by TH-786
Hi,

I am going to university next year and wondered how long do you spend at University at your lectures? Does it start at 9 AM or is it more flexible?

Entirely depends on the course and university to be honest......
some courses have days off, others may have a packed day one day and the next is 2 hours in the afternoon, you just wouldn't really know till you get to uni and get your timetable.
It differs between Universities, and also between the courses themselves. My flatmates and I have totally different timetables.

Well mine is:
Tuesday: 10:30-1:30 & 2:00-4:00. (Have to get a University bus at 8:15am and then leave at 5pm - on a different campus 40 minutes away.)
Wednesday: 10-12
Thursday: 1-5
My Mondays and Fridays are when we'll be going on fieldtrips - I have three each term. (So yeah, I do get most Mondays/Fridays 'off'). And I do a Wildlife & Media course.
Reply 4
Original post by katehlouise
It differs between Universities, and also between the courses themselves. My flatmates and I have totally different timetables.

Well mine is:
Tuesday: 10:30-1:30 & 2:00-4:00. (Have to get a University bus at 8:15am and then leave at 5pm - on a different campus 40 minutes away.)
Wednesday: 10-12
Thursday: 1-5
My Mondays and Fridays are when we'll be going on fieldtrips - I have three each term. (So yeah, I do get most Mondays/Fridays 'off'). And I do a Wildlife & Media course.

Detailed reply, thanks! Its given me a great idea of times.
Reply 5
Most Universities work between 9 and 6, Monday to Friday, but the times you are in will vary widely. As others have said, some courses do more hours than others, and even people doing the same hours might be in totally different times. It can even vary week to week. I do roughly all day Monday, then Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons, but it does vary, for example I had a full Thursday last week but Friday afternoon off. One thing that's pretty constant is that most Universities will have Wednesday afternoon off as that tends to be when societies meet, but other than that anything people give will only be a guide. Knowing what course you are planning to do would at least allow people to give an idea of the possible hours.
Reply 6
I only have twelve hours or so a week, max of four a day but my course is really quite independent. I know some people that are in 9-6pm every day :wut:
My lectures can be at any point Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm. However, I'm only actually in Tuesday 1-6, Thursday 3-5 and Fridays 10-3.

It's common at many unis to find that you have Wednesday afternoons off for sports and other similar activities.
Reply 8
Mine can be at any point between 9am-8pm.
Im in about 14 hours a week for a fine art and english lit degree.
Reply 9
Autumn semester:
Monday: 9-10
Tuesday: 11-12 (tutorial every fortnight), 1-2 and 4-5:30
Wednesday: 9-11
Thursday: computer labs running experiments 10-1 (fortnightly) and 4-5
Friday: 11-12 and 2-3

This changes in the spring semester but its 8.5hours 1 week and 11.5 hours the next :smile:
This is for psychology at nottingham uni by the way.
It'll give you some idea but it really does vary. Why don't you have a look on the websites of the unis your interested in and see if you can find this years timetable for the courses you're interested in? Hope this was some help :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Monday: 12-1, 2-3 fortnightly and 3-5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
anywhere between 9-6
I have about 24 hours of contact time on my computer science course
also I have 24/7 access to the CS building which includes computer labs
Original post by TH-786
Hi,

It depends on the course and it changes day to day anyway. Sometimes you might have one lecture a week, but several seminars for the rest (smaller rooms, more personal). My timetable is especially sparse (Primary Education), but I guess I'm doing a practical course so a lot of my workload comes from independent reading and placements.

Monday-- 11-1.00pm LISS (IT stuff). 1-2pm Lecture.
Tuesday-- 9-4pm seminars with same tutor all day, but with breaks here and there, though you are DEAD by the end of it.
Wednesday-- Teaching Primary English 10--12pm.
Thursday-- Placement 9--5pm.
Friday-- NOTHING! :biggrin:

I do about three hours of independent reading a day though.
Reply 13
I do Computer Science at Oxford, so I have less than some other sciences but more than some humanities students.

Monday-- 10-11am Lecture
Tuesday-- 9-11am Lecture 4-5pm tutorial
Wednesday- 10-11am Lecture 4-5pm tutorial (every other week)
Thursday- 9-10am, 11-1pm Lectures, 2-4pm Lab session, 4.15-5.15 Tutorial (every other week)
Friday-- 10-11,12-1pm Lectures, 3.30-4.30 Tutorial

Then over the week I get worksheets to hand in before tutorials that can take anything from 2-5 hours depending on difficulty, length, my ability to concentrate etc
Reply 14
Monday 12-3, Tuesday 2-4, Wednesday 9-11, Thursday 12-1 4-6, Friday 12-1 2-3. That's a mixture of seminars and tutorials for French and linguistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lecture times vary depending on your course and university, but I only have two 9am starts this year and attend 4 days a week. The latest I finish is 4pm (last year it was 6pm).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending