The Student Room Group

students from uni of McMaster, Toronto, UBC and Queens - how did you get in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by himanshu1995
I am aiming for mechatronics at waterloo , and electrical engineering at UofT
I can give the approximate % which between 75-80 overall
while in physics math chem hl its between 80-89 %
and my toefl is a 99 if that helps?

I'd have a look at University of Ontario Institute of Technology if I were you. It's extremely new and not well known yet, but they are climbing on the rankings incredibly fast, and they have a ton of industry connections. I knew a guy who did mechatronics there, and they seem pretty intense.
Reply 21
Also, in general, for most people reading this thread - in Canada, if you say Uni of, or [blank] Uni, or "uni", really, people here will look at you really funny. If it's University of City, it's U of City, if it's City University, it's City. So U of T, McMaster, Western, U of Ottawa, Waterloo, etc.

Derp multiple posts, I'll go stick everything all together next time I want to say lots of things in a short span.
Reply 22
I cant say for sure as i am not a waterloo student but ill take a quick look. Itd be best to call and ask.i can imagine they are more entry level positions. At good and approved companies of course there will be more competition for more prestigious companies. But i would call them for more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Spent a few days there. Extremely small town but great program

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read this as 'uni of McDonalds' :facepalm:
Hii everyone

I m a student doing my IB and have my exams in May 2013

I wanted to know , do most of the uni in canada give conditional or unconditional ? And if its conditional , what scores do they offer in their admission letter ? approx ?
I have maths physics chemistry HL , and english , computer science SL.

My predicted scores are 37 while I usually get around a 32-34 in my semester exams. What are my chances in Uni of toronto , waterloo , McGill ?

Back again. :smile:

Most Canadian universities give conditional offers; rarely do they give unconditional offers. Although I'm sure you will get in, they want to see consistency in your grades. That means if you got a high predicted grade, it would be best to keep your final grades as close to your predicted grades as possible. If not, you could risk losing your spot, especially for a competitive program like engineering.

As for scores, I'm not too sure. I'd say your predicted grades are fine, as long as you keep them that way. I'd think that you have somewhat of a good chance to get into either Waterloo or U of T, but I'd say you should work harder for McGill.

Dear lord , thanks for this information.

And I wanted to know about the exact process in which Waterloo's Coop program works. I have read the whole site and tried to understand , but the part where they mention that I - candidate , will work for 4 months and then study for another 4 . I wanted to know where do I get assigned and what position / level will I be working at companies which accept me during my study course.

It depends on your stream. There are two different streams; depending on your preference, you could go for the 4-stream or 8-stream. If you want to get more experience and try different positions, it would be better to choose the 4-stream. If you already know what you want and you want to gain long-term experience, then the 8-stream might be more suitable for you.

As for the position that you will be working, that will definitely depend on your grades. Engineering is a really competitive program in Waterloo and it would take good grades to get the top positions in your program. Note that you will be competing with strong candidates and that it will take extra effort to get to pick which job you want for your co-op work term.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Godric
I'd have a look at University of Ontario Institute of Technology if I were you. It's extremely new and not well known yet, but they are climbing on the rankings incredibly fast, and they have a ton of industry connections. I knew a guy who did mechatronics there, and they seem pretty intense.

I would not recommend that to OP. It is true that they are climbing really fast, but that does not mean that it will be comparable to Waterloo, U of T, or McGill in the next few years. In fact, I doubt it will be even close to the lower-tier universities in Ontario.

It may be true that there are a few students who have made it into the industry from UOIT, but I would say that they are not fully established yet. It would be best to wait for a few more years before applying for that university, unless you are really desperate in getting into this program.
Reply 27
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I would not recommend that to OP. It is true that they are climbing really fast, but that does not mean that it will be comparable to Waterloo, U of T, or McGill in the next few years. In fact, I doubt it will be even close to the lower-tier universities in Ontario.

It may be true that there are a few students who have made it into the industry from UOIT, but I would say that they are not fully established yet. It would be best to wait for a few more years before applying for that university, unless you are really desperate in getting into this program.

Yeah, upon actually thinking about it, it does sound like a bad choice, and a horrible one for anyone paying international tuition. Hmm, what else is there...unfortunately not too much if you want to go somewhere with a reputation that carries across international borders...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Godric
Yeah, upon actually thinking about it, it does sound like a bad choice, and a horrible one for anyone paying international tuition. Hmm, what else is there...unfortunately not too much if you want to go somewhere with a reputation that carries across international borders...

I could think of a few in mind. They are not exactly as great as the reputation that U of T, UBC, or McGill brings, but they would surely be recognized internationally.

One that comes to my mind is U of Alberta. It has a great reputation in Canada and I would classify it as a world-class university. A lot of people who do graduate out of U of A are successful and I can definitely see great career opportunities for engineers that are interested in the oilsands industry. It is also a really good choice for those that are graduating from IB; they are really generous with transfer credits, as long as you have good grades. This would give you an upper hand, since you could potentially be given second-year status if you have stellar IB grades.

If OP is looking for universities in Ontario, there is one that should be considered.

Western is a good university and it has been a favourable choice for students living in Ontario. It also has a better distributed student body, since most Canadian students who do get in usually achieved an average higher than 80% in high school. It is a party school and you will have a lot of fun here, so this is a good choice for those that want to have more of a social life in university (not saying that others are not, just that this one is recommended for partygoers).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
I could think of a few in mind. They are not exactly as great as the reputation that U of T, UBC, or McGill brings, but they would surely be recognized internationally.

One that comes to my mind is U of Alberta.

Western is a good university and it has been a favourable choice for students living in Ontario. It also has a better distributed student body, since most Canadian students who do get in usually achieved an average higher than 80% in high school. It is a party school and you will have a lot of fun here, so this is a good choice for those that want to have more of a social life in university (not saying that others are not, just that this one is recommended for partygoers).

Riiiight, that one. Dropped off my radar. *cough*WuckFestern*cough*

Yeah, Western's good too. Didn't know U of Alberta was known internationally. I guess because it's so western it never really was on my radar - Alberta is more "western" than UBC in many ways. Huh.

I still have to plug Queen's for engineering - people say things about Kingston being boring, and I suppose if you come from a large city and you're into clubbing it wouldn't be the greatest, but the engineers at Queen's seem to do pretty well for themselves party-wise. They've got Ritual Fridays, for starters.

What school are you in? Are you Canadian (too)?
Reply 30
Yeah, if you're into parties, McGill and Western are probably your best bet. Another thing for all the british people reading this to keep in mind about going to ontario is that if you want to buy alcohol, you're basically stuck buying it from government-run stores, and it'll probably be noticeably more expensive than you're used to. Though that's another point in favour of McGill, it's in Quebec, and you can buy booze in grocery stores there, it's bizarre...
Original post by Godric
Riiiight, that one. Dropped off my radar. *cough*WuckFestern*cough*

Yeah, Western's good too. Didn't know U of Alberta was known internationally. I guess because it's so western it never really was on my radar - Alberta is more "western" than UBC in many ways. Huh.

I still have to plug Queen's for engineering - people say things about Kingston being boring, and I suppose if you come from a large city and you're into clubbing it wouldn't be the greatest, but the engineers at Queen's seem to do pretty well for themselves party-wise. They've got Ritual Fridays, for starters.

What school are you in? Are you Canadian (too)?

Well, I didn't know that U of Alberta was known internationally until I started reading the international rankings from various sources (Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Times Higher Education World University Rankings, QS Top Universities Rankings, etc.). All of these rankings placed U of Alberta within the top 200 overall, meaning that it is somewhat of a world-class university, despite not being as reputable as UBC, McGill, or U of T.

I actually mentioned Queen's in my original post, but I deleted it since the OP mentioned it. I also put in UBC and McMaster, but it too has already been brought up.

I am Canadian too. I shall not mention the name of my school, since I have nothing to say about it. Based on what I see from your post, I would say that you are from Queen's. :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Godric
Also, in general, for most people reading this thread - in Canada, if you say Uni of, or [blank] Uni, or "uni", really, people here will look at you really funny. If it's University of City, it's U of City, if it's City University, it's City. So U of T, McMaster, Western, U of Ottawa, Waterloo, etc.

Derp multiple posts, I'll go stick everything all together next time I want to say lots of things in a short span.

Haha you're right that we don't say uni that much, but your examples aren't very good for what you said about "it's University of City, it's U of City, if it's City University, it's City." Everyone calls the University of Ottawa, Ottawa U, and of course McMaster is not named after a city nor is Western.
Reply 33
Well, I didn't know that U of Alberta was known internationally until I started reading the international rankings from various sources (Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Times Higher Education World University Rankings, QS Top Universities Rankings, etc.). All of these rankings placed U of Alberta within the top 200 overall, meaning that it is somewhat of a world-class university, despite not being as reputable as UBC, McGill, or U of T.

I actually mentioned Queen's in my original post, but I deleted it since the OP mentioned it. I also put in UBC and McMaster, but it too has already been brought up.

I am Canadian too. I shall not mention the name of my school, since I have nothing to say about it. Based on what I see from your post, I would say that you are from Queen's. :tongue:

Yep! I'm normally not too much of a jingoistic Queen's student (well, not compared to other Queen's students), but it's kind of like how when I cross the southern border I start defensively saying "Eh" a lot...
Reply 34
Well, I'm doing IB in China, this is the second semester of DP1 and I got 34 in the 42. I wish to go for UofT, UBC or the Queen's for Business. I got 7 in Economic HL, is it still hopeful for me to achieve my goal? Oh by the way, will my predict score be higher than 34? Tell you the truth, I'm quite worried, or should I say scared? Because I find you guys are doing really good, better than me..:confused:
Reply 35
It depends on the program that you are applying for. For general programs (like arts and sciences), the minimum requirement is low - around 28 points, so you don't have to worry too much. However, if you are applying for programs like engineering, business, or other competitive programs, you will need a higher overall IB grade (generally speaking, at least 32 points - some programs look for at least 36 points).

I do know that UBC allows you to get some more transfer credits than the other universities that you've mentioned, provided that you meet their requirements, so you might want to take that into consideration.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reply to my post.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Well ,I got 34 in the total 42pts, 7 for Economics, is that enough for Business in those schools? Thx a lot.
Original post by ILMVM
Well ,I got 34 in the total 42pts, 7 for Economics, is that enough for Business in those schools? Thx a lot.

I don't really know if you will or will not get in - that is not up to me, that is up to the admissions committee. It also depends on the admissions quota and the calibre of candidates applying for the programs you are applying for. I would consider you to be somewhat competitive, and since you got a 7 in Economics HL, I don't think you would have a problem being accepted.
Reply 37
Thanks a kot for replying!Maybe I still need to work harder to get a higher prediction score. Really appreciate your information. Let's be friends. 【By the way,does quota means quantity limitation?I don't use English as my first language,sometimes i just don't understand well..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by ILMVM
Thanks a kot for replying!Maybe I still need to work harder to get a higher prediction score. Really appreciate your information. Let's be friends. 【By the way,does quota means quantity limitation?I don't use English as my first language,sometimes i just don't understand well..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quota in this context refers to their admission intake. i.e the maximum number of applicants they are willing to accept
Reply 39
Understood,really appreciate your explaination:yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending