The Student Room Group

Is it right that Malala Yousufzai receives treatment in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lightf00t
Tashmidd,

We must do everything we can to help muslims. The fact they all hate us and would, if it was up to them, turn Britain into a theocratic dictatorship is irrelevant.

Helping people who want to roll back progress by 1000 years is a good thing.

Serially.

*Not all Muslims are terrorists that hate Britain and want Sharia Law.

I think you're letting the loud voice of the few affect your view of the majority.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MattKneale
I did respond with a logical argument which you have once again failed to recognise or respond to. You are callous and vile and have no basis for your argument other than to save money for your personal gain. Whilst it is a valid standpoint, it is not a moral one and one which most people would find abhorrent and object to.

Here you go with your emotionally charged tirade again. You can just throw around adjectives like "callous", "vile" and "abhorrent" and hope that they'll somehow arrange themselves into a valid argument.

And what do you mean it's not a moral standpoint? Of course it is. It just doesn't tie in with YOUR personal morality, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or immoral in any meaningful sense of the words.

My personal morals, as far as dealing with other people go, is that the principle of non-aggression should not be violated. Which means I believe that any action of a person which interferes with the free will, self-determination and self-ownership is inherently wrong. That includes shooting a 14 year old girl in the head for no reason. But it also includes taxation, which is the aggressive and coercive taking of a person's goods by force and threat of imprisonment without that person's consent.

I don't care what your moral code is and how strongly you believe in it, you should never reserve the right to arrest my personal property in order to pursue your moral code. That is theft, which is more wrong, from my standpoint, than refusing to provide aid to fund the healthcare of a complete stranger.

And I couldn't give a toss about what "most people find abhorrent"... I only care about what is rational, what makes sense, and what maximises the liberty of myself and the people I care for.

Since you're vehemently opposed to public backing for emergency services, I trust you have never called out the police or fire brigade and never would.

Actually I have, because the government have aggressively decided that there should be only one police service, one fire brigade, one ambulance service. If free-market alternatives exists and were subject to competition in order to create free-market prices, I would certainly engage.

As it stands I am having my money stolen and spent on monopolised institutions. I don't have a choice...

I also trust you have full, private healthcare and aren't 'leeching' from the system?

Again, already forced to pay for the NHS, and because I'm absolutely taxed to the hill, I can't quite afford private healthcare. If I was given all my taxes back, and if the system was privatised, hence creating a wealth of consumer choice, with prices guided downwards by free market competition, then I would certainly have private healthcare.

Likewise, I trust that if anyone you loved became ill, you wouldn't go and take them to A&E but instead take them to a private hospital?

I wouldn't, because I can't afford that, because I'm taxed too much. You can't compare what my actions are in a state-run system to what they WOULD be in a privatised system.

The fact is that my money is stolen to pay for these things, and monopolies are created to preclude free-market alternatives. I have no choice.

Because if you can't say yes to all those statements, your argument is flawed and you are picking and choosing which sentiments to agree with.

Don't be stupid. It's not flawed. My argument is about the way the world SHOULD be, not about the way it currently IS. If the world was the way it should be then I'd have all my tax back, there's be a lot of private institutions to choose, and I'd HAPPILY take care of my own emergency services, healthcare, education and other costs.

In response to whether or not I would let all people requiring medical healthcare from abroad into the UK, I would so long as the costs were covered somehow. Clearly it is not beneficial for the UK taxpayer to pay costs for everyone, everywhere, requiring help. However, a little girl who is essentially a martyr for our democratic cause abroad deserves to be treated and that would still apply even if we had to foot the bill. She is a symbol for what we are fighting for, and through no fault of her own she suffered at the hands of evil individual more interested in religion than human life (what a paradox...)

It wouldn't be covered somehow. Not without an increase in UK taxes, or massive cuts. Even if the COSTS were covered, it'd still take up resources that could be used elsewhere.

Well "free" (it's not free, it's ridiculously expensive, yet somehow still manages to be inefficient and running at a massive deficit) healthcare funded by stolen money is a everything that I'M fighting against, and a little girl from another country being treated by it would be a symbol of everything that I'm fighting against, so you'll excuse me if I go down my path while you go down yours.

Enjoy stealing my money to pay for your faulty ideals.
Reply 122
Original post by Sheldor
*Not all Muslims are terrorists that hate Britain and want Sharia Law.

I think you're letting the loud voice of the few affect your view of the majority.

There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world.

Even if you were kind and made a conservative estimate of 1% of them hating us, that would mean 16 million muslims around the world could be plotting terrorist acts. It is likely far more than 1% though.

The key question to ask is, what benefits could Islam possibly bring to a progressive nation like Britain?
Original post by sugar-n-spice
They're going to pay and it would cost hardly anything to do anyway, in terms of the NHS budget. Plus it gives the surgeons valuable experience.

Even if it does cost, the article shows that it's not costing us a single penny for the operation, considering that Pakistan is paying for it. The OP seems to be causing controversy for controversy's sake or he's one of those "Why are those forins here" type of people
Reply 124
Why ARE these foreigners here?

Benefits.
Original post by Lightf00t
There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world.

Even if you were kind and made a conservative estimate of 1% of them hating us, that would mean 16 million muslims around the world could be plotting terrorist acts. It is likely far more than 1% though.

The key question to ask is, what benefits could Islam possibly bring to a progressive nation like Britain?

Also, not that I'm defending them or anything, being against something doesn't necessarily mean they're plotting terrorist acts, but would more likely be supporting a party/group that aims for their end goal.
Either way, it's still the minority of Muslims living in the UK that want to blow it up, and I'd say the same for internationally.

It isn't about what benefits it brings. What benefits does religion in itself bring? It's freedom of religion.

Reply 126
Original post by Sheldor
Also, not that I'm defending them or anything, being against something doesn't necessarily mean they're plotting terrorist acts, but would more likely be supporting a party/group that aims for their end goal.
Either way, it's still the minority of Muslims living in the UK that want to blow it up, and I'd say the same for internationally.

It isn't about what benefits it brings. What benefits does religion in itself bring? It's freedom of religion.

All religion is ridiculous.

But I can tolerate the one's which aren't always affiliated to terrorism and rolling back progress.

We can ignore and laugh at Christians. Islam, however, destroys everything it touches. This cannot be disputed. Look at all muslim nations.
Original post by tashmidd
I didnt say i didt trust it im jus sayin other people are always complainin about it focus on problems within the uk, we dont need the worlds problems on out shpulders. Why would i want to be a doctor if i dont like the healthcare system. I get you ive worked abroad ina cointry thats supposed to be a deceloped country and the healthcare was pants.

I know where shes being trweated im jus askin why her? Millions of people are suffering around the worl what make her special?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you miss the point entirely; why should it matter if she's special or not?

But if you want some reasons, perhaps the fact she's a martyr for our cause abroad? That her survival would leave a very good impression for the state of Western lifestyles and would help harm the reputations of those who hurt her? That she could be an inspiration for others to speak out against injustice?
For my part I feel surprised but pleased she was brought here for treatment. We must be doing something right if it was felt the best place for such crucial treatment was within the UK. Other than that, I just hope she recovers fully, she's far braver than I could aspire to be.

I don't really see much of an issue regarding cost though, even were we actually out of pocket for the treatment, I would not begrudge the saving of the life of a child, even more so when that child is both intelligent and brave. It seems to me using her treatment as a political point would be, well, somewhat dubious in a moral sense.
No.
Frankly, I could not care less if we have to foot the bill. I would willingly pay for her treatment. Yes, hundreds of children are injured or killed by the Taliban (and also by the coalition forces) but she is a symbol of female empowerment and secular thought. And her treatment is tiny compared to the millions wasted there by our governments on failed infrastructure projects and the damage caused by drone strikes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending