The Student Room Group

*Official University of Newcastle Dentistry Applicants 2013*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by wisconsin
I've had a look at their selection process, and it says that they look at people's personal statements and then put them into 5 groups, in terms of how desirable the applicant is. Then within those groups they rank the applicants by their UKCAT score, and interview them in that order. But surely that means only the people in the top fifth have a chance of getting an interview?

Newcastle have 75 places and approx 750 applicants. That means 150 will be in the top group. So if even half of those applicants are successful at interview, then they will run out of offers to give before they even take a look at the second group. So basically your personal statement has to be in the top 20% to be given a chance at interview, from what I see.

My impression was that they sort out all the candidates into 5 groups based on their personal statements, then the bottom group is immediately rejected. From the remaining 4 groups, they are arranged in descending order of UKCAT scores and then they interview from the top of each group going down?
Reply 41
Original post by 1234lime
My impression was that they sort out all the candidates into 5 groups based on their personal statements, then the bottom group is immediately rejected. From the remaining 4 groups, they are arranged in descending order of UKCAT scores and then they interview from the top of each group going down?

This is what I thought too! :smile:

Any idea when they will be rejecting people? Or even giving out interviews?
Reply 42
oh I see...so each group is looked at in turn starting with the one with the highest score given to the personal statements.
Reply 43
Original post by barzyrocks101
You may find the following section from Newcastle's dentistry admission policy of use: **Shortlisting** Application forms are assessed to check the acceptability of achieved qualifications and further qualifications yet to be taken and the timeframe thereof; that predicted grades are in line with requirements; that the most recent examination results are broadly in line with predictions; and that the UKCAT scores are above whatever cut-off figures (variable year-on-year) are being used. The applicant personal statement is checked for evidence that the dental work experience expectation has been fulfilled, and for appropriateness (for example, applicants applying primarily for medicine, or undecided between medicine and dentistry, are rejected at this stage being deemed insufficiently motivated to become dentists). The referee statement is scanned for any negativity. Applications are then graded: 5 grades are used, with the first being very highly desirable and the last being immediate rejection. Within each grade, applications are sorted into descending order of UKCAT score, which completes the shortlisting process. We interview approximately 230 applicants annually. The top-graded applicants will then be invited for interview over a 5-month period (December through to end of April), starting with the highest UKCAT scorer in the first category, and finishing when sufficient offers have been made. Candidates who have been unsuccessful at the shortlisting stage will normally be rejected, through UCAS, by the end of March. Absence of news indicates that the application is still in process.

Thank you so much!
Reply 44
I wonder what the UKCAT cut-off will be - hope it's not too high!
Reply 45
Original post by PhoenixxX
I wonder what the UKCAT cut-off will be - hope it's not too high!

Same here, but apparently everyone did better than usual according to the UKCAT figures released on Twitter. I only got 620, compared to others.... I've done awful!
Reply 46
Original post by Doctor.
Same here, but apparently everyone did better than usual according to the UKCAT figures released on Twitter. I only got 620, compared to others.... I've done awful!

Um when I went on the open they said last year... it was minimum 550 in each unit and 615 overall so maybe around that?
Reply 47
The Newcastle UKCAT cut-off is usually around 600, with no less than 550 in each section.
Reply 48
Any news from Newcastle yet anybody?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 49
Original post by Gforce

nope not yet, just wish they'd tell us something!
Reply 50
Original post by Gforce

Nothing :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Yeh nothing yet, I'll give them a call today and let you guys know

Reply 52
Called them up, interview letters will be out next week sometime

Original post by Shiggy G

That's crazy, aahhhh :eek:
Original post by Shiggy G

Let's just hope they are not going to tease us even more, it's been a while :biggrin:
Reply 55
Interview at Newcastle on the 4th of December :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Ben001

Congratulations! I've got one for the 3rd but i can't go so I've asked for a different date
Reply 57
Original post by Ben001

Original post by Haarts
Congratulations! I've got one for the 3rd but i can't go so I've asked for a different date

Congrats guys!! What were your UKCAT scores?
Reply 58
Original post by The Toffy
Congrats guys!! What were your UKCAT scores?

725...I've just joined tsr and just added myself to the stalking page!
Reply 59
Original post by Haarts
725...I've just joined tsr and just added myself to the stalking page!

Did you get a email of te interview or I'd they post it home? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest