The Student Room Group

University experience is a joke! £7,000 a year for 3 hours tuition a week.

I'm Matt, and I attend Staffordshire University.

The place is a complete joke. You won't believe what I'm about to tell you.

I'm in my third year, studying Film & Screenwriting, and I really do not know what I'm paying for. I'm required to attend lectures/seminars at 10am on a Tuesday morning and 9am on a Wednesday morning, for a grand total of THREE hours.

Basically, I'm paying £151.87 per week for tuition, or if you would prefer, £50.62 per hour!

Using what I've "learned" so far in my current year; here's a list of my newfound expertise.

- Heath Ledger was brilliant as The Joker in The Dark Knight...
- Nicole Kidman's fame deteriorated when she parted with Tom Cruise.
- Male actors improve with age.
- Female actors wilt with age.
- Marilyn Monroe was not a natural blonde.
- Many more excellent facts like the aforementioned.

Also, we've been treated to guest speakers, guest speakers that are "Media Professionals" that have taken the time out from their manic schedules to come and really spoil us lucky students.

Among the list of speakers...

Somebody who interviewed Robbie Williams' dad...
A former lecturer who continuously reiterated that we need to go out there and experience the film industry. He failed to tell us that he's in charge of a local production based on Jack The Ripper. Thanks for that, sir. Very considerate of you.

Oh it gets better...

We have two independent study modules;

Feature Film
&
Adaptation

The lecturer who teaches the latter was brilliant with me last year. I lost my father and found it difficult to engage myself in group work, but I always ensured that I was there and taking part, despite the horrible time I was experiencing. Two of our group members let us down frequently, with one saying that he couldn't make our mock presentation due to looking after his parents house. Naturally, I complained about this, saying "Why should I receive the same grades as these people who just don't care about the course, when I'm still here working my backside off, when I've just lost a parent?"

Received response...

"I can't change the other members grades. You all worked together on said project. In regard to your father, you have to understand that life goes on."

What do you think about that?

My catalogue of complaints goes further than what I've written here.

Basically, there has been very little time spent on campus.

The course is allegedly FULL TIME, but there has not been a single moment at University where I've had more than 10 hours of interaction with a lecturer in a single week.

It's a total embarrassment.

Do I complain? Surely I'm entitled to a reimbursed.

Disgruntled mature student.

Matt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
University isn't there to spoon feed you, particularly if your subject is in the arts, humanities, or social sciences. To complete junior and senior honours you really ought to be doing in and around 'full-time' studying, that is if want to get the most out of it.

You are free to complain but you have no right to reimbursement of fees.
Reply 2
I suppose at university the emphasis is on educating yourself. I only have around 10 contact hours a week, and barely get any free time :holmes: forever reading, or making notes or completing essays and projects.

To be fair though, you applied for the course. You should have done your research and checked out the curriculum
Reply 3
Then why do such a course? You also can't really can't rent and living costs in uni costs as if you didn't go uni, you'd still have to pay for those. Staffordshire uni is far from the best uni in britain so studying film there shouldn't have given you much expectations to begin with.
If you're in your third year, how are you paying 7k? Its only first years that have the increased tuition...
Original post by Serentonin
If you're in your third year, how are you paying 7k? Its only first years that have the increased tuition...

Indeed, OP is only telling part of the truth at most. Unless they're an international student or something, OR they're including living costs in their amount.
Reply 6
Three hours?! Sounds like **** if I'm honest! I've been attending open days in preparation for uni next year and have heard stuff like "tutors will be here to help but a lot of it will be down to you" a lot. Yes, I get that university promotes independent learning and we have to stand on our own two feet but for the love of god, £9k a year for a bit of help? The carpets damn well better be spun from gold.
Reply 7
Original post by Tigrah99
Three hours?! Sounds like **** if I'm honest! I've been attending open days in preparation for uni next year and have heard stuff like "tutors will be here to help but a lot of it will be down to you" a lot. Yes, I get that university promotes independent learning and we have to stand on our own two feet but for the love of god, £9k a year for a bit of help? The carpets damn well better be spun from gold.

What do you expect? For them to hold your hands for 3+ years?
Original post by BuildingACritic

I'm in my third year, studying Film & Screenwriting, and I really do not know what I'm paying for. I'm required to attend lectures/seminars at 10am on a Tuesday morning and 9am on a Wednesday morning, for a grand total of THREE hours.

Basically, I'm paying £151.87 per week for tuition, or if you would prefer, £50.62 per hour!

Using what I've "learned" so far in my current year; here's a list of my newfound expertise.

Also, we've been treated to guest speakers, guest speakers that are "Media Professionals" that have taken the time out from their manic schedules to come and really spoil us lucky students.

A former lecturer who continuously reiterated that we need to go out there and experience the film industry. He failed to tell us that he's in charge of a local production based on Jack The Ripper. Thanks for that, sir. Very considerate of you.

Oh it gets better...

Feature Film
&
Adaptation

The lecturer who teaches the latter was brilliant with me last year. I lost my father and found it difficult to engage myself in group work, but I always ensured that I was there and taking part, despite the horrible time I was experiencing. Two of our group members let us down frequently, with one saying that he couldn't make our mock presentation due to looking after his parents house. Naturally, I complained about this, saying "Why should I receive the same grades as these people who just don't care about the course, when I'm still here working my backside off, when I've just lost a parent?"

Received response...

"I can't change the other members grades. You all worked together on said project. In regard to your father, you have to understand that life goes on."

The course is allegedly FULL TIME, but there has not been a single moment at University where I've had more than 10 hours of interaction with a lecturer in a single week.

Matt

drop that **** immediately, you'd be better off blowing that £21,000 or whatever it's gonna cost in vegas.
Lol. i know right ?

it's up to you to press your tutors, ask for extra help, extra resources, and whatever else you can get.
Original post by Zedd
What do you expect? For them to hold your hands for 3+ years?

not holding your hand =/= three hours a week.

University should give you;
- Access to the content, through good libraries, lectures etc.
- Possibly guidance if you need it - seminars, tutors, etc.
- Exam facilities.

Three hours a week isn't enough access to the content of a decent degree. We are not talking holding your hand here, we are talking about the bare minimum.
I only have about 6 and a half hours of contact time a week.
I'm paying £56.25 an hour.
And yeah, it takes the piss.
Reply 12
Original post by Octohedral
not holding your hand =/= three hours a week.

University should give you;
- Access to the content, through good libraries, lectures etc.
- Possibly guidance if you need it - seminars, tutors, etc.
- Exam facilities.

Three hours a week isn't enough access to the content of a decent degree. We are not talking holding your hand here, we are talking about the bare minimum.

They have three hours a week in contact time. That is plenty when you consider that they are supposedly at an advanced stage of their undergraduate degree and that they ought to be able to manage their own studies based upon the topics they are taking.

From what you say that a University should give the OP seems to get all of that, bearing in mind that 3 hours of contact time = / = 3 hours of access to content, guidance, and exam facilities.
Reply 13
Original post by XxelliexX
I only have about 6 and a half hours of contact time a week.
I'm paying £56.25 an hour.
And yeah, it takes the piss.

6.5 hours a week of contact time for philosophy is a lot. Probably too much actually. I have 1.5 hours a week right now and I feel like that is perfect as it allows me to focus on my own research as well as have that 1.5 hours where I discuss and debate with a small group of my peers.
everyone should stop saying well what do you expect/ you are supposed to be independent/ they cant hold your hand.
For goodness sake we are not expecting that but 3 hours is ridiculous i would be expecting 8+...
Reply 15
I pay approx £6.50 per hour for my course!!! So much contact time, I don't know when I get my own.
Reply 16
How come you're paying £7000 a year when you're in your third year (i.e. not new fee system)?
Reply 17
Original post by uniquestions
everyone should stop saying well what do you expect/ you are supposed to be independent/ they cant hold your hand.
For goodness sake we are not expecting that but 3 hours is ridiculous i would be expecting 8+...

Why?
Reply 18
Original post by BuildingACritic

Oh it gets better...

Feature Film
&
Adaptation

Received response...

Matt

Firstly, it sounds like you're having an awful university experience. However, you're in your 3rd year. Assuming this is either a 3 or 4 year course, you're more than half way through and you've only just thought about complaining?

If you haven't been happy with the standard of lectures and tutorials you were receiving, I am surprised you have not made a complaint earlier. And now you want to be reimbursed?

Did you research your university course before you start? Were you aware of the content of the courses and modules? Did you speak to anyone about contact time and resources dedicated to you? It sounds like you started this course without having done any research and then studied for 2 whole years before realising that it was completely unsuited to what you were looking for.
Reply 19
This is why Universities don't want to get rid of their arts courses despite government pressure. They're very cheap to run and students are still willing to pay fees to attend them.

Better off just getting a library pass tbh. Don't see what else you're going to get from an arts/humanities course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending