The Student Room Group

NHS Funding Courses

Hello,

I'm not sure whether I have posted this in the correct place, but I have recently graduated with a Sports Science BSc Degree and looking to become a Sports Physiotherapist. I'm currently looking into doing a Physiotherapy course at Postgraduate Level and I understand that some of the courses are fully funded by the NHS.

As it is NHS funded, does that mean that once I have completed the course, I would need to work for the NHS for a number of years or could I go straight into a private clinic/sports club as a Physiotherapist?

Also, I have heard in the grapevines that if the course is NHS funded, there is also a bursary to help with living costs at postgraduate level. Could anyone confirm if this is true/false information?

Thanks
Stephstar10
Reply 1
Original post by Stephstar10
Hello,

I'm not sure whether I have posted this in the correct place, but I have recently graduated with a Sports Science BSc Degree and looking to become a Sports Physiotherapist. I'm currently looking into doing a Physiotherapy course at Postgraduate Level and I understand that some of the courses are fully funded by the NHS.

As it is NHS funded, does that mean that once I have completed the course, I would need to work for the NHS for a number of years or could I go straight into a private clinic/sports club as a Physiotherapist?

Also, I have heard in the grapevines that if the course is NHS funded, there is also a bursary to help with living costs at postgraduate level. Could anyone confirm if this is true/false information?

Thanks
Stephstar10

I'm interested in this too! Does anyone know the answer? NHS does not have any information on their website in regards to whether or not there will be a bond to work within NHS following the completion of a post-graduate course that's funded by them.
It would be appreciated if some one could provide some insight into this!
Reply 2
Might depend on the individual course. This is the Birmingham MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) course, which says that home students will be exempt from tuition fees and *may* be eligible for an NHS bursary.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/taught/med/physio-pre-reg.aspx#CourseDetailsTab

This is the link to the NHS eligibility website from that Birmingham page:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx

I've had a quick surf round the NHS pages and I can't see anything which guarantees a job on completion of the Masters. I'd think with the current climate of cuts, this probably wouldn't be practical.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending