The Student Room Group

Photography Course in a City with a Good Nightlife?

I'm after an undergraduate Photography or Photojournalism course (BA hons) and was wondering if anyone could save me searching through hundreds of university websites by hopefully pointing me in the right direction of what I'm looking for?

Obviously, the main factor I'm after is that the course is good- vast facilities including fully equipped photography studios, darkrooms for film processing, black and white or colour enlargers, equipment hire, etc.

However, I've found that many photography courses are very similar wherever you go, and it's what you make of the course that counts. So the other factors I'm looking for is that the university is in a city (preferably near London) with a good nightlife - lots of clubs, events, etc. I'm a nightlife photographer at the moment so will be aiming to still be building upon my portfolio and hopefully working whilst at uni.

Any suggestions as to where I should look into would be very much appreciated! It seems finding somewhere with good facilities, a vibrant nightlife and close to (but not in) London is proving difficult..
Reply 1
Original post by bethtee
I'm after an undergraduate Photography or Photojournalism course (BA hons) and was wondering if anyone could save me searching through hundreds of university websites by hopefully pointing me in the right direction of what I'm looking for?

Obviously, the main factor I'm after is that the course is good- vast facilities including fully equipped photography studios, darkrooms for film processing, black and white or colour enlargers, equipment hire, etc.

However, I've found that many photography courses are very similar wherever you go, and it's what you make of the course that counts. So the other factors I'm looking for is that the university is in a city (preferably near London) with a good nightlife - lots of clubs, events, etc. I'm a nightlife photographer at the moment so will be aiming to still be building upon my portfolio and hopefully working whilst at uni.

Any suggestions as to where I should look into would be very much appreciated! It seems finding somewhere with good facilities, a vibrant nightlife and close to (but not in) London is proving difficult..

Have you looked at the University of Hertfordshire? It's near London and ticks most, if not, all of your preferences.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/photography-ba.cfm
Original post by TeaMan101
Have you looked at the University of Hertfordshire? It's near London and ticks most, if not, all of your preferences.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/photography-ba.cfm

Hatfield really does not have much of a nightlife, although the student's union is quite good and its quite modern and fresh, you should be able to get some good shots in there. Its quite an ugly town too. If you like the course and facilities that's great, but just a warning you will have to get on the bus a bit and go to St Albans, Watford and London to really round off your portfolio.
Reply 3
I've read into both Hatfield and Hertfordshire and neither have a nightlife in the actual town/city which is what i'm after really- rather than a taxi or bus journey to and from larger cities with better clubs.

When I said close-ish to London I meant like, an hour or so away from or something - Like Brighton or Surrey's distance.. I'm only from Wales, I can't be dealing with the London population just yet :wink: I just think being within a close distance to London will be good for contacts? I don't know, I think I can afford to be picky as I'll be paying £9000+ a year! I want it to be perfect :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending