The Student Room Group

Re-sitting my Maths GCSE

I am 20 years old and applying for university. I got a D in school and need a C to stand a better chance of being accepted onto my course.

I have an equivalent, although some universities can shun them so I need to go and do a straight GCSE.

Does anyone know:

who I contact
How many Papers I take
The cost

thanks!
If you go onto the Edexcel Website and find out the centres that will take in private candidates, and then you'll be able to contact them.

The costs should be listed there too :smile:

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Reply 2
Original post by Daz XD
I am 20 years old and applying for university. I got a D in school and need a C to stand a better chance of being accepted onto my course.

I have an equivalent, although some universities can shun them so I need to go and do a straight GCSE.

Does anyone know:

who I contact
How many Papers I take
The cost

thanks!

You've probably left it too late to start a part time class (which would have been free this year as you don't have a C) but you could check with local colleges just in case.
Any school or college is allowed to accept private candidates for exams - though less than 10% of them do. You can go to the examiners web sites and see if they have any info about centres near to you or you can get on the phone to all colleges and schools in your area and ask their exams officer.
As a private candidate you revise the stuff yourself and then just turn up for exams. Centres can charge anything they like. While the actual exam fee is about £30, some places could ask you for £100 or more - shop around for a reasonable price.
Best bet is for you to do linear, 2 exams within a few days of each other. You'd have to decide between the easier Foundation paper (maximum grade C) that you'd have to get mostly right or the harder Higher paper where you could get it mostly wrong and still come out with a C. If you did well on a level 2 Numeracy exam but were never good at algebra and triginometry then foundation may be your best choice. All examiners offer GCSE maths in November but you are probably too late to be ready and entered for that. They all do them in June and Edexcel have an additional date in March (which would be good if you can find somewhere as you'd have your results in the bag before the summer).

Quick Reply

Latest