The Student Room Group

A level shake up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
Are you talking about having to redo them or do them at a-level?

A level :smile:

Or maybe they should have to improve their grades at GCSE in a spare block...?
Either way I'm not convinced at all...

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
A level :smile:

Or maybe they should have to improve their grades at GCSE in a spare block...?
Either way I'm not convinced at all...

At my sixth form it's possible to get onto subjects like english, history, french without passing gcse maths. I think these people should redo gcse maths even though they don't really need it. Cos when you're looking for jobs, one of the first filters is 5 gcse passes including english and maths. But those doing the arts/humanities shouldn't be made to do a-level maths. They'd have no incentive to pass - it'd be hard, boring and irrelevant so would focus on their other subjects.
At my sixth form it's possible to get onto subjects like english, history, french without passing gcse maths. I think these people should redo gcse maths even though they don't really need it. Cos when you're looking for jobs, one of the first filters is 5 gcse passes including english and maths. But those doing the arts/humanities shouldn't be made to do a-level maths. They'd have no incentive to pass - it'd be hard, boring and irrelevant so would focus on their other subjects.

I agree with you that no VIth form should let anyone off re-sitting GCSE maths or English until they are passed for the reasons you state.

The plain fact is that Gove can promote his new qualifications all he likes but unless universities and employers value them over the available alternatives, no-one will take them or care.

My thoughts exactly, it'll make matters worse for them :smile:

Sorry, in school now, double games :frown:

Reply 24
This is going to significantly reduce post-16 education applicants. I can imagine the generic 5A*-C grade requirement at GCSE for A Level will be elevated to coincide with the seemingly increasing difficulty of this ABacc scheme.

This forcing students to do arts and sciences seems very unfair. A very good scientist could be undermined because they're not too strong in arts subjects.

I think Michael Gove is being quite destructive in some of the changes he is making. I also don't think it's the modular nature of exams that's making them easier. It's that the content of the exams have no stretching element and are consequently regurgitation / algorithmic exercises.
Original post by Psyk
How does that work then? They introduced A* grades after I finished A-levels so I'm not familiar with them. I assumed it was simply a higher boundary compared to an A grade.

The above post is only for CIE I think... The normal way is:

80% over the whole A2. With 90% average in the A2 modules :smile:

So someone could realistically get 200/200 for AS and 179/200 at A2. So they'd get an A despite over 80%.

Someone could also get
120/200 at AS and 200/200 at A2 and have an A* due to 80% and 90%+ average over A2 modules :smile:

Reply 26
Original post by L'Evil Fish
The above post is only for CIE I think... The normal way is:

80% over the whole A2. With 90% average in the A2 modules :smile:

So someone could realistically get 200/200 for AS and 179/200 at A2. So they'd get an A despite over 80%.

Someone could also get
120/200 at AS and 200/200 at A2 and have an A* due to 80% and 90%+ average over A2 modules :smile:

What's wrong with that system? It's designed like that because A2 is harder than AS and thus a more reliable indicator of which pupils deserve the top grade.
I don't like the shake up at all.
It won't affect me but if I was forced into voluntary work, I wouldn't be happy, it should be out of my own will. In addition, taking English and maths till 18 years of age can be a nightmare for some.
He's just copying the IB, and to reinforce the point made by other posters, "forced voluntaty work" - practically pointless, not to mention impossible.
What A-levels did he do? Must see the diverse array of subjects....

And funny that Cambridge has siad the plans are unhelpful!
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6050859 (Yes it's the TES so possible bias but still of use)
Original post by Paradox.
What's wrong with that system? It's designed like that because A2 is harder than AS and thus a more reliable indicator of which pupils deserve the top grade.

I think that there should be a minimum grade at AS like CIE... An A :smile:

Micheal Gove can never make his mind up; to think that he read English Lit at Oxford
Reply 31
Original post by Jam'
This is going to significantly reduce post-16 education applicants. I can imagine the generic 5A*-C grade requirement at GCSE for A Level will be elevated to coincide with the seemingly increasing difficulty of this ABacc scheme.

This forcing students to do arts and sciences seems very unfair. A very good scientist could be undermined because they're not too strong in arts subjects.

I think Michael Gove is being quite destructive in some of the changes he is making. I also don't think it's the modular nature of exams that's making them easier. It's that the content of the exams have no stretching element and are consequently regurgitation / algorithmic exercises.

Agreed. I am in year 11 currently and this won't affect me, and it wouldn't anyway because I am taking both sciences and humanities, but it just ANGERS me. Its not even compulsory to do A levels, so why should they dictate what we take?
Honestly, I am sick to death with privately educated old farts thinking they know all when it comes down to education, when they have absolutely ZERO experience AT ALL with schools- bar the fact that they went to one once.

If science is not someones forte, but English is, why make them take a science subject? Same in reverse. Instead, why not adapt each course to improve these skills? That way, students can take subjects they're interested in and develop these skills, rather than making students take subjects they don't like.

As for the no modules. No. What the f*** is that going to achieve? Mental health at this age is already something that I don't believe has enough support, and now they want to take away modules (spreading out the stress/pressure) and put it all at the end, in a massive bundle of stress.

We are not machines. We shouldn't be machines. We should be able to take A levels, learn how important it is to work hard, achieve and either start our career or move onto University where we can develop our INTERESTS, skills and knowledge.

I really, really do wish politicians etc would actually stop and talk to those who it effects, but it's not to do with that is it? It's to do with odious pigs showing off how much power they have.

Urgh. Rant over.
Original post by 08rbut
Agreed. I am in year 11 currently and this won't affect me, and it wouldn't anyway because I am taking both sciences and humanities, but it just ANGERS me. Its not even compulsory to do A levels, so why should they dictate what we take?

The education system has changed. Those in the younger years have to stay in education until they are 18. They have no choice.
Reply 34
Original post by ColourDog
The education system has changed. Those in the younger years have to stay in education until they are 18. They have no choice.

Sorry, I didn't realise this! But still they can't tell us what to choose...
Reply 35
Original post by ColourDog
Honestly, I am sick to death with privately educated old farts thinking they know all when it comes down to education, when they have absolutely ZERO experience AT ALL with schools- bar the fact that they went to one once.

If science is not someones forte, but English is, why make them take a science subject? Same in reverse. Instead, why not adapt each course to improve these skills? That way, students can take subjects they're interested in and develop these skills, rather than making students take subjects they don't like.

As for the no modules. No. What the f*** is that going to achieve? Mental health at this age is already something that I don't believe has enough support, and now they want to take away modules (spreading out the stress/pressure) and put it all at the end, in a massive bundle of stress.

We are not machines. We shouldn't be machines. We should be able to take A levels, learn how important it is to work hard, achieve and either start our career or move onto University where we can develop our INTERESTS, skills and knowledge.

I really, really do wish politicians etc would actually stop and talk to those who it effects, but it's not to do with that is it? It's to do with odious pigs showing off how much power they have.

Urgh. Rant over.

I know, you would think people who go to Eton and Oxford and have the best education would be able to run this country properly...
Original post by 08rbut
I know, you would think people who go to Eton and Oxford and have the best education would be able to run this country properly...

Yes, but how many years ago were they there? Many, many years ago.
Times have changed and things have moved on, we need to move forward, not backwards.

EDIT: And in addition, A levels are not just for those Oxbridge level applicants, and they shouldn't be!
(edited 11 years ago)
This contrasting subjects idea is ridiculous. A-Levels aren't GCSE were you have to do certain subjects. Some just don't get on with Maths and/or Science, and it isn't fair forcing people choose one or the other. The same applies with those that aren't into Arts subjects.

Once past 16, let people study what subjects they want.
I agree that A-Levels need to be changed- aside from History coursework at A2 nothing I did prepared me for university work. That aside it was about memorising the textbook, in Politics for example we didn't need to know any thinkers or do any wider reading. If I hadn't done History coursework I would have come to university without a clue how to write a university style essay and you have to actively seek out help.

Bare in mind in most countries its common for students to have to study a wide range of subjects incl. Maths and English up to 18/ whenever they leave school. I don't entirely agree with this but I do believe you shouldn't leave school without C grade GCSE standard in both.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending