The Student Room Group

What kind of Universities should I apply for?

I am looking to study Physics at university and last year I achieved:
Maths: - A
Politics: - A
Physics: - C
and the equivalent of a B in an Economics Cambridge Pre-U mock (I have subsequently dropped Economics).

I have been predicted AAB (in the order mentioned previously) for A2 and am now applying through UCAS.

I was wondering what kind of universities I should apply for. Firstly should I even consider Durham which requires A*AA? What about other AAA universities? I know UCL wants AAA-AAB with an extra AS level (which I do not have due to dropping Economics Cambridge Pre-U) should I apply without the AS level?

I also really liked Sheffield and Leeds (Both AAB). Should I put down an ABB/BBB university incase all of the others reject me? What kind of range should I go for?

Thanks. I know it's a lot of questions and any help would be appreciated.
Firstly, I wouldn't advise applying to a uni if you know you already don't have the entry requirements. Even though they MAY still accept you if you have a strong reference/personal statement, it's highly likely that they will flat out reject you if you don't have that extra AS and it will be a wasted choice.

How many are you applying for? Pick out the uni's that you really want to go for. Look at the facilities, area, student accomodation, find out as much as you can. If it all looks fine but they want the highest grades, if you think you can do it then why not aim high. You could do this for a couple of your choices.

The rest should really be safe options like you said ABB/BBB. Make sure you like the sound of the course and everything else, but also that you will definitely get the grades you need.

This way you will always have options and won't risk being rejected by all of them and having to go through clearing etc.
The weakest part of your application appears to be the fact that you only have a C in Physics, yet that is the subject for which you will be applying. That is going to raise a big red flag with top universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending