The Student Room Group

Left Work, Cannot find my future.

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice on careers, I've trained from school in Plumbing and heating but unfortunately got made redundant after 4 years. I continued on in the trade working in a merchants as a stepping stone to choose what i wanted to do.
I have spend nearly 2 years in this stepping stone job and my heart is no longer there. I once loved working with the spark of motivation, interest and competency that individuals held in this trade but it is much lost. I've decided to leave work with savings to follow my heart but i cannot put my finger on it.

I've lived on my own since school, My hobbies are in extreme adrenaline sports.
Dh Mountain biking, MTB, Road cycling, Climbing, trekking, camping etc. I currently train 6 days a week in free running, gymnastics etc.(diet and training is my life)

I have moved back in with my parents for this move in my life but we do not get on hence the early move out.

My heart wants me to follow my dreams and hobbies, but my brain see's the future when I can no longer proceed in these for work and leaving me vulnerable.

I'm going to give you 'MY' ideal position i want to be in:

Training to receive further qualifications with many doors to open,(I never want to stop learning/ adding notches to my belt)
A Life/job style that is respectable, skilled with future prospects,
Meet people with similar interests as most i know are settling down into 9-5 life.

In my head i want to be a mountain climber working on expeditions,
Working on search and rescue,
Turning my shear blood lust for these activities into life.

Any advice is much appreciated, i will go however far it takes, spend as long training as it needs, move anywhere (i have nothing stopping me), work however much part time to aid my journey. Basically nothing will hold me back i just don't know where to start.

Thankyou for your time.

Matt
you could try doing a Mountain Leader course and becoming an outdoor activity instructor/mountain guide or whatever, but that will take time and money and you may not like it in the end. I have a few friends that are climbing instructors and mountaineering guides, They love what they do but at the same time, they tell me that it's not the wonderful job that everyone thinks it is.

Search and rescue is usually voluntary and unpaid.

I would suggest you work as a self employed plumber/boiler man (or whatever it is you do) to fund yourself until you decide what you want from life. You might as well use the skills you have to earn money until you find something else you like. You're not just going to fall into the perfect job, it will take time, and you need an income

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending