The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School

How difficult is it to get into one? I wish to do chemistry at uni and so I desperately want to get onto the chemistry one, but I don't come from an deprived background or a shoddy school, but my GCSE grades were good (10a*,3a,1b), so would I stand a chance of getting in?
Reply 1
No-one?
Reply 2
Personally I thought it was based on GCSE grades largely. I come from a (Slightly below) average school; most people go to lowly ranked unis and there's been no successful oxbridge applications for about 10 years. I 10A*s at GCSE and got in for Geography. But you must remember that it is 10 applicants per place on the summer school. Although certain subjects (chemistry might be one, as well as probably mine too) might be less competitive than that (although others will inevitably be more). The main thing is being in the first generation of your family to go to uni. If your parents went, it's quite unlikely you'll get the place, I think theres a statistic that said 80% of people who got into it had no parents who attended uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello!

I went to the summer school at Durham. It was amazing. I achieved 2*7A2B at GCSE and I come from the second best place in the city. A couple of kids per year go to OxBridge, so I don't think it's too bad.

All I had to do was fill in an online form and then waited a couple of months and received an acceptance letter in the post. Quite honestly I forgot I had applied but it's worth going for it. We all talk still (social network group) and it's great to go on your personal statement.

Any questions, just quote me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bulbasaur
Personally I thought it was based on GCSE grades largely. I come from a (Slightly below) average school; most people go to lowly ranked unis and there's been no successful oxbridge applications for about 10 years. I 10A*s at GCSE and got in for Geography. But you must remember that it is 10 applicants per place on the summer school. Although certain subjects (chemistry might be one, as well as probably mine too) might be less competitive than that (although others will inevitably be more). The main thing is being in the first generation of your family to go to uni. If your parents went, it's quite unlikely you'll get the place, I think theres a statistic that said 80% of people who got into it had no parents who attended uni.

Oh poo. Both my parents went to uni (not good ones), and my brother did. Does this mean I'm not gonna get in?

Original post by EloiseStar
Hello!

I went to the summer school at Durham. It was amazing. I achieved 2*7A2B at GCSE and I come from the second best place in the city. A couple of kids per year go to OxBridge, so I don't think it's too bad.

All I had to do was fill in an online form and then waited a couple of months and received an acceptance letter in the post. Quite honestly I forgot I had applied but it's worth going for it. We all talk still (social network group) and it's great to go on your personal statement.

Any questions, just quote me :smile:

What did the form ask for? Was there a personal statement on it?
Original post by CJG21
Oh poo. Both my parents went to uni (not good ones), and my brother did. Does this mean I'm not gonna get in?
What did the form ask for? Was there a personal statement on it?

Neither of my parents went to university. It did ask if they did.

The form asked for GCSE grades, what we would like to study at summer school and what I currently study. And the basics of name, address etc...

No personal statement at all. I think a teacher had to confirm what I said was correct but I never knew anything of it...
Reply 6
Neither of my parents went to university. It did ask if they did.

The form asked for GCSE grades, what we would like to study at summer school and what I currently study. And the basics of name, address etc...

No personal statement at all. I think a teacher had to confirm what I said was correct but I never knew anything of it...

Thanks for the help.
If I was you I would still apply. You have nothing to lose, apart from 10 minutes of your life filling in the application!

Don't be put off because your parents went to university or other factors because loads of people I met were called up the week before because people dropped out. They were the people who didn't meet all the requirements such as they attended grammar school...

:smile: GO FOR IT!
Reply 8
Original post by CJG21

Well, if you want it that badly I don't see what's stopping you from lying on your application. Although I wouldn't do that personally. Like I said 20% of people did have parents that went, so you could still get lucky. But even those who fit the criteria entirely are still up against huge odds. Just go for it, you might get lucky. It's not a big deal if you don't get in.
Reply 9
If I was you I would still apply. You have nothing to lose, apart from 10 minutes of your life filling in the application!

Don't be put off because your parents went to university or other factors because loads of people I met were called up the week before because people dropped out. They were the people who didn't meet all the requirements such as they attended grammar school...

:smile: GO FOR IT!

Thanks. Are there any other schemes like it? I know Oxford do one but does anywhere else?

Original post by Bulbasaur
Well, if you want it that badly I don't see what's stopping you from lying on your application. Although I wouldn't do that personally. Like I said 20% of people did have parents that went, so you could still get lucky. But even those who fit the criteria entirely are still up against huge odds. Just go for it, you might get lucky. It's not a big deal if you don't get in.

Would they find out if I lied?

Also, I think it is quite a big deal if I don't get in, I could do with something like it for my PS and UCAS.
Not too sure about any other schemes. Probably best to ask your school or have a quick search on Google. One point of interest may be the Sutton Trust American summer school which is funded with the Fullbright commission... I think a few people who I met at Durham went on that too, even though you weren't supposed to apply for both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending