The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Misread it and thought she said "i dont find small guys physically attractive" :tongue:
Somalians hype too much and act so big. All Somalians in my school are like that and you can't deny it. They're quiet friendly alone though, so I think it's all in the outside and they're just trying to blend in with us.

Can't think of a funny way to end this so this is it.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a Somali girl who just doesn't find Somali guys attractive. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me. I have always been attracted to European guys because they don't seem racist, selfish and big headed to me( most of them anyways) and I find them incredibly attractive. Anytime I bring up any white guys name, I get attacked, verbally, by friends and family about how a white guy will never find me attractive. Its sad how I know I will have to marry a somali guy I will never be happy with. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but any useful advice?

Oi, my mate Ahmed is funny as ****, awesome dude and cute enough (no homo).

Assuming I haven't enticed you with my mates superiority over his Somali brethren, why would you have to marry a Somali guy?

Marry a white guy if you decide you have a genuinely strong and worthwhile relationship to take to that level, your family is your family not the ****ing Gestapo of relationships.
Reply 23
Why do Somalis get so much hate? :pierre:
I'd marry whoever I fall for.
But then again, cos I'm somali, family may be very annoyed with the whole thing.

And some somali guys are attractive, I just don't like the typical ones who believe in the whole "women stay at home, cook food and stuff."
I'd prefer a more romantic person, and I can't imagine a somali romantic guy xD
Reply 25
Original post by Yawn11
No one likes Somalis in general tbh

Unless they're a rare breed, don't look somalian and don't hang around with Somalians

Why u no like me!
Reply 26
I am a Somali girl who just doesn't find Somali guys attractive. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me. I have always been attracted to European guys because they don't seem racist, selfish and big headed to me( most of them anyways) and I find them incredibly attractive. Anytime I bring up any white guys name, I get attacked, verbally, by friends and family about how a white guy will never find me attractive. Its sad how I know I will have to marry a somali guy I will never be happy with. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but any useful advice?

As a somali girl, it annoys me the way you generalize half of our race. You must realize that your father and brothers are somali too so an indirect insult to them. There's nothing wrong with having preferences but don't try and make out that all somali guys are this way. Some are just as you find people with those traits in other races.

BTW, If you took a visit to Texas, you would see that not all white guys have that sort of mindset...
Reply 27
loooooooooooooooool, stop spamming go away no one cares, and so what if u marry a somalian guy

Hi I am also a somali girl :smile:

I dont want to sound patronizing, but I feel like your feeling are rooted in your own insecurities regarding your race. Being attracted to europeans is completely fine, however believing they are all perfect and all Somali men are useless is wrong and misguided. I remember when I was younger I went through a phase with my cousins where we thought all white people must be perfect. They had the perfect families, perfect lives. What we realise now is we felt that way because we believed that Somalis and indeed Africans were somehow imperfect and that is very sad. We were insecure about our ethnicity and this is as a result of the society we have grown up in. We hold white people on a pedestal, just think about the amount of times you have heard somalis complementing girls on the lightness of their skin on the softness of their hair. What standard of beauty are we trying to live up to? If you find Male Somali features unattractive, what do you feel about female somali features. Do you feel the same way?

Just look at the threads on TSR describing black women as ugly, butch, manly, even black men say these things about us! Black men are stereotyped as uneducated criminals good for nothing but sex and dancing but black women have it worse. I feel like many africans have internalised these stereotypes you only have to look at the I hate being black threads and the amount of black boys that say they are not attracted to black girls. Whether it is on a concious or subconcious level we associate these negative stereotypes with ourtselves. I remember this study in which and American psycologist showed a group of black kids a picture of a white man and one of a black man, she asked them what words they associated with each image. The children described the white man positive attributes and the black man with negative attributes. Even at school I remember people being shocked about the fact that I am Somali and smart, as if I was the only smart Somali on this planet. My Other African friends also faced this. We need to stop buying into these stereotypes and empower ourselves. We need to stop looking at our cultures and history through the eyes of white middle class men (no offence) and start looking at it through the eyes of Africans. I feel like to many, particulary smart, Africans are quick to look down on other Africans and this needs to stop.

The reason you feel this way is because of society, A white boyfriend will never make you feel happy or change your life, only you can do that. I know you probably look at the mess in Somalia and maybe feel ashamed of being Somali? But dont feel that way, look into your culture and your history and reconcile yourself with it because it is yours.

As for your friends and family who say a European would never be attracted to a Somali that is a lie. Many of my aunties are married to Europeans and half of my cousins are mixed raced. Be confident in who you are and never think that you are to low for a white man because that is pure self hate. But at the same time do not put Somali men down.
Original post by Yawn11
No one likes Somalis in general tbh

Unless they're a rare breed, don't look somalian and don't hang around with Somalians

Why do you dislike most Somalis? I have noticed this with other Africans.
Reply 30
Original post by nemogirl
:facepalm:

I'm sorry but you are so naive.

well she did put the disclaimer ''most of them anyways'' :tongue:
Original post by QueenArawelo

I dont want to sound patronizing, but I feel like your feeling are rooted in your own insecurities regarding your race. Being attracted to europeans is completely fine, however believing they are all perfect and all Somali men are useless is wrong and misguided. I remember when I was younger I went through a phase with my cousins where we thought all white people must be perfect. They had the perfect families, perfect lives. What we realise now is we felt that way because we believed that Somalis and indeed Africans were somehow imperfect and that is very sad. We were insecure about our ethnicity and this is as a result of the society we have grown up in. We hold white people on a pedestal, just think about the amount of times you have heard somalis complementing girls on the lightness of their skin on the softness of their hair. What standard of beauty are we trying to live up to? If you find Male Somali features unattractive, what do you feel about female somali features. Do you feel the same way?

Just look at the threads on TSR describing black women as ugly, butch, manly, even black men say these things about us! Black men are stereotyped as uneducated criminals good for nothing but sex and dancing but black women have it worse. I feel like many africans have internalised these stereotypes you only have to look at the I hate being black threads and the amount of black boys that say they are not attracted to black girls. Whether it is on a concious or subconcious level we associate these negative stereotypes with ourtselves. I remember this study in which and American psycologist showed a group of black kids a picture of a white man and one of a black man, she asked them what words they associated with each image. The children described the white man positive attributes and the black man with negative attributes. Even at school I remember people being shocked about the fact that I am Somali and smart, as if I was the only smart Somali on this planet. My Other African friends also faced this. We need to stop buying into these stereotypes and empower ourselves. We need to stop looking at our cultures and history through the eyes of white middle class men (no offence) and start looking at it through the eyes of Africans. I feel like to many, particulary smart, Africans are quick to look down on other Africans and this needs to stop.

The reason you feel this way is because of society, A white boyfriend will never make you feel happy or change your life, only you can do that. I know you probably look at the mess in Somalia and maybe feel ashamed of being Somali? But dont feel that way, look into your culture and your history and reconcile yourself with it because it is yours.

As for your friends and family who say a European would never be attracted to a Somali that is a lie. Many of my aunties are married to Europeans and half of my cousins are mixed raced. Be confident in who you are and never think that you are to low for a white man because that is pure self hate. But at the same time do not put Somali men down.

Hey I'm a Somali girl too, and I wanted to say some things until I read your post and you've mentioned pretty much everything that I wanted to say :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by QueenArawelo

This hit the nail on the head /exactly/. OP is a dreamer if she thinks that a white guy and especially his family is going to respect a Somali woman. I have never heard of this working. She should go for her vanilla "dream" and watch as it inevitably burns in flames.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
Pointless thread.

If you don't want to marry a Somali guy, then don't.
You want a /perfect/ European man? Go for it.

Simple. Badabingbadaboom!
Reply 34
Not quite sure I understand the point of this thread? You don't like Somalian men? Okay...why tell TSR?

I think it's safe to say majority of us don't like Somalians.

All in favour say aye?

I have the same thing-I'm also east african but interested mostly in white guys. I don't really see it as a problem or something wrong with me-there are less black men than any other race so there's a shortage in the first place! Secondly, I just prefer the treatment from white guys-all the black guys that have ever approached me have usually done it in a brash, aggressive manner-something that has never happened with any other race, its just most black guys tend to be really self-assured and confident but I hate that attitude. Also my university was predominantly white, so I happened to mix with English people more and bagged an English boyfriend who I'm still with now.

Don't listen to your family and friends because they're being cruel and close-minded. You can date whoever you want and go outside your race. Maybe though its not just race that bugs them but religion/culture as well?

Look at Iman and David Bowie :smile:
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Why is there so much hatred specifically for Somalis? :s-smilie:

Agreed. The way it's seen as acceptable to be racist towards Somalis and played off as harmless banter is actually disgusting.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Agreed. The way it's seen as acceptable to be racist towards Somalis and played off as harmless banter is actually disgusting.

Yeah but sometimes people may feel they know their own culture better than others do. And someone mentioned the whole sexist stereotype of women cleaning and staying at home, cooking etc which they disagreed with. Not sure where the harmless banter is ?
Original post by Thugnificent.
I think it's safe to say majority of us don't like Somalians.

All in favour say aye?

*The awkward moment when no one says 'aye'.*

Latest

Trending

Trending