The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

History with economics?

I was thinking of applying to do this at Manchester. At AS I got ABB in History, English Lit and Biology respectively.
They say on the website that they want either History or Economics, but would it be unwise to apply without economics or maths?
Has anybody done the same course and know what's involved?
Reply 1
I went to an Open Day a few weeks ago - there's only space to do 3 modules of Economics (2 are core modules, 1 would be an elective module) and there are different levels of Economics modules for different levels of Maths eg. A Level Maths students have a harder module, AS have one that is less harder etc. Same with Economics - different levels for those without Economics qualifications :smile:

I'm applying there too!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by tom.west
I was thinking of applying to do this at Manchester. At AS I got ABB in History, English Lit and Biology respectively.
They say on the website that they want either History or Economics, but would it be unwise to apply without economics or maths?
Has anybody done the same course and know what's involved?

forgot to quote you in my previous post :smile:
Reply 3
I'm on the course atm. It's perfectly fine to apply without Maths or Economics. You choose in your first year whether or not to pick up Maths. It's called 'Introductory Maths and Stats' - 2 modules, 1 each semester. Basically, you can choose this or you can pass on it. So essentially you could do this 3 year course without ever needing to do Maths beyond GCSE. The downside to this is that you'll be restricted in your second and third year options. From what tutors said, it's about 50:50 on students picking/avoiding the Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by JamesYoung
I'm on the course atm. It's perfectly fine to apply without Maths or Economics. You choose in your first year whether or not to pick up Maths. It's called 'Introductory Maths and Stats' - 2 modules, 1 each semester. Basically, you can choose this or you can pass on it. So essentially you could do this 3 year course without ever needing to do Maths beyond GCSE. The downside to this is that you'll be restricted in your second and third year options. From what tutors said, it's about 50:50 on students picking/avoiding the Maths.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Really helpful to hear someone who actually studies the course.
I'd probably avoid the maths options like the plague haha, but I understand that a certain amount is a necessity. I got a B at GCSE (I think I might have even got a C in one exam, oops), so do you think the maths elements would be too challenging? I did do Chemistry at AS and got an A in all my theory papers and I do Biology this year, both of which have a certain level of maths so I'm not completely rusty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tom.west
Thanks a lot for the reply. Really helpful to hear someone who actually studies the course.
I'd probably avoid the maths options like the plague haha, but I understand that a certain amount is a necessity. I got a B at GCSE (I think I might have even got a C in one exam, oops), so do you think the maths elements would be too challenging? I did do Chemistry at AS and got an A in all my theory papers and I do Biology this year, both of which have a certain level of maths so I'm not completely rusty.

You'll be fine! I got a C. The first year won't test you too much in terms of the Maths. The second year I'm told, (by a current 2nd year student), doesn't get too heavy either. There's a few equations, but they're pretty well explained.

I think if you don't do the Maths, you're restricted to things like Political Economy, Business Economics and Development Economics. If you aren't comfortable with Maths, I wouldn't do the Intro modules. Less than 30% and you won't be allowed onto year 2 of your degree programme. And if you are getting low percentages, you probably won't feel comfortable doing the Economics modules which contain a heavy Maths percentage anyway, so why risk it? That's how I saw it when selecting modules a month ago now :redface:

Time flies at uni...seriously :smile: You'll love Manc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending